Same tarantula or no?

Axel Martinez

Arachnopeon
I can't help to wonder and maybe i'm wrong but is this a real tarantula, supposedly it's a Xenesthis sp white but I can't see anyone with a tarantula as the same image as the one i found

<Picture of brightly colored purple and blue Xenesthis species from the internet>

Last edited by a moderator:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Looks like a male Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma to me, although I'm not an expert on either genera, so take that with a grain of salt.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's an image with wildly over-saturated colors. In other words, the spider does not look like that. Brightness, contrast, vibrance, and saturation are all boosted. That's why it kind of hurts to look at.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
It is real, the mature males turn this brilliant purple color when they mature. However its only the short lived males that turn this color, while the females are black/brown with purple highlights on their carapace. Many species of Xenesthis and Pamphobetues turn this color when the males mature.

Also, it is against the rules of this forum to use photo's that are not yours, so this thread me get deleted.

Hope that helps, Tom

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
That's an image with wildly over-saturated colors. In other words, the spider does not look like that. Brightness, contrast, vibrance, and saturation are all boosted. That's why it kind of hurts to look at.
Yes, the flash of the camera does accent the colors, but mature males are purple.

Later, Tom

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
+1

Gorgeous lighting/colouring fakery.
OP - I saved a copy before the mods remove it -- if you don't own copyright to an image... (and assuming it's not public domain) -- it's forbidden to post pictures that aren't your own.
But wow, if this really existed with this bright colouring -- it would probably make my wishlist! :cool:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yes, the flash of the camera does accent the colors, but mature males are purple.

Later, Tom
Oh, of course, I didn't mean to imply that the colors were changed. Only that it's extremely saturated. People are often disappointed that their shiny new spider doesn't look like the pictures on the internet for the same reason.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Even my GBB's blue looks drab under normal room lighting. But with the right lighting and colour saturation -- wow.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I didn't see the original posted photo, but if it is a P. Platyomma, they do have beautiful purple/pink colouration, the picture was probably over saturated, but that's not to say they don't look like that in the right lighting.

Axel Martinez

Arachnopeon
I didn't see the original posted photo, but if it is a P. Platyomma, they do have beautiful purple/pink colouration, the picture was probably over saturated, but that's not to say they don't look like that in the right lighting.
Ohhhhh ok I did read a lot of comments saying it was saturated and it probably was, thank you a lot because I really wanted to buy one and it most likely wasn't the pictures i found.

cold blood

Staff member
Ohhhhh ok I did read a lot of comments saying it was saturated and it probably was, thank you a lot because I really wanted to buy one and it most likely wasn't the pictures i found.
make no mistake...male or female, Xenesthis is one of, if not THE most univerally most spectacular looking genera anywhere....they really do look that amazing. No one has ever seen one in person and not been blown away.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
make no mistake...male or female, Xenesthis is one of, if not THE most univerally most spectacular looking genera anywhere....they really do look that amazing. No one has ever seen one in person and not been blown away.
Very true, although the males are spectacular, the females are impressive and beautiful in their own right.
Xenesthis immanis (Ausserer, 1875)* by Tom Patterson, on Flickr

Later, Tom