Same sp.?

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That are suposed to be S. oraniensis. Both of them. I know color is not the better choice to ID a centipede. But I want to confirm that here cohabit two colorforms of a S. oraniensis. Isn't it? Or there are any mistake.

Cheers
Carles

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, my Spanish pede-friend Carles is also still around ! :D
how are things going on there in the South of Europe ?

on topic:
I've only seen those "orange" sc.oraniensis, or the orange ones with a dark striping in the middle of the tergites, never witnessed such "dark" form as you've posted above.

the dark one does remind me a bit of Scolopendra dalmatica, I trust you have checked they have the same spines, spurs etc., so yes it could very well be that sc.oraniensis comes in orange or dark form in the same area,... Sc.cingulata is also known for different colorforms in identical habitats/locations.

PS: have ya gone to Mallorca allready with Paco ?

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, my Spanish pede-friend Carles is also still around ! :D
how are things going on there in the South of Europe ?
Hello Steven, here the things are going very well, now we are on hollydays but year after year, we have to study more, and give up time to the hobby. I don't have enought time now.:eek: In other hand, I can't forget the boards and the people that habit in there. ( like spanish spot says; Always come back in Xmas):)

on topic:
I've only seen those "orange" sc.oraniensis, or the orange ones with a dark striping in the middle of the tergites, never witnessed such "dark" form as you've posted above.

the dark one does remind me a bit of Scolopendra dalmatica, I trust you have checked they have the same spines, spurs etc., so yes it could very well be that sc.oraniensis comes in orange or dark form in the same area,... Sc.cingulata is also known for different colorforms in identical habitats/locations.

PS: have ya gone to Mallorca allready with Paco ?
I spent a couple of minutes searching some differences between both pedes. Except the color, all looks identical for me. But I have to say that this pedes are very small ( 6 cm ).
I my region there are no S. cingulata ( too high, too cold, too humit) but there are a lot of this guys, that I now that can cohabit with the more mediterranean/desertical cingulata.There are very common and the density of the population is aprox 1/1 betwen the two suposed colorforms.

In other hand, last summer I was a week in Paco's house. Balearic Islands are great don't you? And if this summer, Paco wants, I'll repeat the travel.

Cheers
Carles

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Balearic Islands are great don't you? And if this summer, Paco wants, I'll repeat the travel.
Yow Carles, yeah the Balearic Islands are very nice and beautifull,...
if you stay away from the tourist places (which are much to many,.. damn Dutch, German, British & Belgian tourists :p )
I surely hope i can visit the places Paco took me last year again some time,
it gives you a complete different view on the islands.
We also found plenty of the orange forms of Sc.oraniensis on Mallorca, but none dark forms :?

and yeah Sc.oraniensis is a small specie,... the biggest one i ever seen was max. 8cm, and it ate the 2 smaller ones i had put in the same container :rolleyes: :eek: .