Salvage, or gut and start over

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
I bought this, pretty much as is, except for the new expanding foam in the interior. The exterior was there prior and idk wtf it is because it doesnt feel or cut like foam and crumbles since its coated in something(ik it isnt pretty) and idk where the guy that built this was going with it originally and idk what to do with this. Its for a monitor. On the right is supposed to be a water feature which im either going to fill with plants or just take out and put something else. Ideas on where to go with this? Its also shaped like a trapezoid😐. I paid like 70 something for it. Also are there any grout alternatives? Something similar that wont be a haven for mold. Or can i seal it with something that is still matte? Also this enclosure has inserts for 2 normal bulbs and one linear i think 12” but the wiring makes me feel like its a fire waiting to happen. Im thinking of trying to find some LARGE corks piece to replace the “fake tree” in there but idk how that’ll go for me. Any suggestions or tips are welcome

Attachments

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
Personally I would gut it, especially with removing that water feature entirely,its just gonna take up space and not be used, or if you were planning on using it then still pull it out and start with your own lol. If the exterior is crumbling then I say not good for a destructive monitor and I would want to deep deep clean this and freshen it up to have less of a dirty garage look. What about the wiring makes you feel its unsafe? And also I would seal with either silicone or the expanding foam and touch up spots with cyanoacrylate super glue if needed. Not sure if others have experience with grout or other materials. Some people use various forms of concrete too or epoxy if you want it real secure, but its gonna get heavy fast

Coradams

Arachnoknight
I say gut it and make it your own. As for a grout alternative (I hate grout), maybe try silicone caulk and then press sand or whatever substrate material you like into it.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
That ghetto wiring is giving me a panic attack. I agree with the other dudes. Gut that dumpster fire of a display. Create what YOU want as an aesthetic, and not what someone who thinks dangling wire nuts as acceptable craftsmanship is.