salmon pink birdeater(lasiodora parahybana)

wolfspider

Arachnopeon
my name is christian i have kept many spiders from around my house and just recently got some Tarantulas, i have two salmon pink bird eaters and they are so cute. I was wondering why doesn't a lot of people keep them? they dont seem mean, the pet store near me has an adult male and two adult females and the guy can open the enclosure of the males cage and the tarantula will just come out like it wants to be held and sit on the guys hand and ive seen many tarantulas and after seeing the pet stores Lps ihad to get some. Anyone else have nice Salmon pink birdeaters( lasiodora parahybana)

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Lots of people have one or two in their collections myself included. The price and size make them a popular choice along with their willingness to display. Stunning tarantulas but you can constantly see escape going through their minds.

wolfspider

Arachnopeon
lol thanks i have two slings and they are so cute. I need names for them. One of mine webbed up its little enclosure when it was being shipped and when i had it on my bed just watching it move around it tryed webbing up my blanket

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LPs are a staple in the hobby for a reason! They are hardy, grow very large, are good eaters, and are usually available for display. I just ordered another sling! You can never have enough!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Stunning tarantulas but you can constantly see escape going through their minds.
Indeed. Mine gets ready to zip whenever I open the deli cup. It is the only one so far that actually has made a break for it, making out of the cup it to the crook of my arm. I'm not familiar yet with their speed as adults, but I can testify that they can really move at about an inch in size. My other species are speedy, but two of them are more interested in getting hidden than escaping they usually stop a moment to assess the situation and calculate their odds. Not the LP, though.

My MM Hapalopus sp. Colombian is the one that takes the prize, however. Holy crap that little guy can move!:eek:

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I have 2 and they really are quick. They are very fast growers too, mine were around a inch when I got them 5 months ago and now one is 3 inches, the other nearing 4 inches. They are more likely to run to hide or turn to kick hairs, luckily they haven't got me yet lol.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I have an 8+ inch AF, and she is always out. It's quite something to see a spider that large in person. She's a great eater, but is quite skittish, so I don't handle her. It's really cool to just sit and watch her lumber all over her enclosure. :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
My lp and ld are fun kinda skittish but willing to display. I cant wait till they are monsters as they are about 4" hard to believe i got them in straws earlier this year xD

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
I have a big female L parahybana. She was my third T, then is a little special for me (you know, the first ones... sigh...). My wife wanted one, because she had the opportunity to handle a LP (not the vinyl!) before and fell in love with this sp. For now, our LP (named Lilith!) is rather quiet... unless we work inside her enclosure: she comes out to inspect what we are doing, and sometimes strikes like a frantic hurricane yelling at the workers because they failed to do everything right, specially the drops of water when they are filling her waterdish! My wife and I find her beautiful and not dull at all: deep black with light brown touches on the edge of the prosoma, and some pink hair on the opisthosoma, she is stunning (and big without any complex!).

wolfspider

Arachnopeon
i have had my two little slings the one thats bigger always wants to be out of its enclosure but when im in my room and sitting on my bed i get her or him out and it will just stay on my hand in one place and i tryed letting him or her on my bed but she (just so i dont have to keep writing both) well try getting back to me idk why i mean i put her on one side of my bed and my little brother we near her making sure she didnt get lost and she ran away from her to where i was

gobey

Arachnoknight
My 2 LPs are probably my,most entertaining Tarantulas by far. Mine are both in pre molt now for their second molt each in my care. They are 4 and 5" and are sacmates. The smaller one is female. While the larger is unsexed, I'm assuming male because of it's much faster growth rate than it's sibling, but I could be wrong (hope I am).

They are less skittish than when I got them, and are now always out and about. Usually hanging on the side of the wall chewing on the ventilation slits. (Escape on the mind indeed)

They have a habit indeed of investigating what you're doing in the enclosure. Sometimes with their teeth. So watch out. I wouldn't handle this species. Mine can be calm... Or hungry... Usually hungry... Once they realize you're not a cricket they'll stop trying to bite... But that may mean they retreat to the hide... Or stick you with some rather prickly hairs.

But a big black T that's out all the time that you get to feed 2x a week that's guaranteed to have a funny personality. Can't beat em.

Mine at only 4 and 5" each eat 12 crickets a week. 6 at a time!!!! I'm hoping for 5 and 6" Ts when they're done with this molt! They each added about an inch last time.

Methal

Arachnosquire
My LP is one of my favorite. She is not very skittish and will turn to attack anything that gets close enough. Filling up her water dish is enough to get her attacking it and everything aroudn it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I was wondering why doesn't a lot of people keep them? they dont seem mean, the pet store near me has an adult male and two adult females and the guy can open the enclosure of the males cage and the tarantula will just come out like it wants to be held and sit on the guys hand and ive seen many tarantulas and after seeing the pet stores Lps ihad to get some. Anyone else have nice Salmon pink birdeaters( lasiodora parahybana)
The big attraction to LP's is that many people think they're getting a 10" spider, based on what they find online. Turns out most LP's max out at 7-8", and there are many other species and genera in that size range. Once you get the size exaggerations cleared up, there's a lot more big spiders to choose from.

Many of us here are not in favor of handling. It's a old school thing that is gradually dying out, thank god. Handling GREATLY increases the risks of bites, escapes, and serious injury to spiders. Also, many of us like feisty spiders and don't see docility as a virtue. Some of the most popular species in the hobby today are fast and confrontational. This goes hand-in-hand with the previous sentence. The hobby is maturing and more people are realizing that these are wild animals that should be kept in naturalistic cages, and their territory (which is so dear to them in the wild), should be respected by us. In spite of what you may have seen, they're not something to play with. It's best to treat them like tropical fish: look but don't touch.

I have 100 species of tarantulas, 60% are old world (i.e. fast and defensive), only a handful of my species are calm. I justify owning those few Brachypelma and Aphonopelma because of the attractive colors, which offsets their potato-like dispositions. I much prefer the warm welcome of spiders standing up and extending their fangs.

Last edited:

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my name is christian i have kept many spiders from around my house and just recently got some Tarantulas, i have two salmon pink bird eaters and they are so cute. I was wondering why doesn't a lot of people keep them? they dont seem mean, the pet store near me has an adult male and two adult females and the guy can open the enclosure of the males cage and the tarantula will just come out like it wants to be held and sit on the guys hand and ive seen many tarantulas and after seeing the pet stores Lps ihad to get some. Anyone else have nice Salmon pink birdeaters( lasiodora parahybana)
I think, to answer your question, many folks keep this species. They are hearty, inexpensive, fast-growing, readily available, and mature into a good-sized tarantula. Plus, as Poec54 said, many buy them expecting to get 10" giants without the more complicated husbandry of a T. stirmi or blondi.

I have three in my collection (a sub-adult female, a juvenile female, and a sling), and I will likely always have one. However, I will admit I've found other larger genera like Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus to be much more exciting and interesting. Just my two cents.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Reading these comments makes me pretty happy I chose 3 LP slings to start my small collection of big spiders. (Actually bought 2. 3rd was a happy surprise).

They're all about an inch in size now, living in identical 2x2x4 inch acrylic containers with a small cork hide in 1 corner and a thimble of water in the other. 2 are pretty much identical as far as behaviour goes, always sitting on top of the hide or wandering around. They have no fear of the 1/2 inch crickets I feed them 2 or 3 times a week. The third has closed off the entrance to the hide, dug out a secret entrance at one side and spends 100% of its time inside the hide. It never comes out but will grab the small crickets I drop near its entrance. Its about a week behind the others in its molting schedule as well.

The '10 inches!!!' promise is one of the reasons I chose them. 7 or 8 inches will do though. Turns out that size isn't really that important.

Really enjoy watching them be spiders.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I will admit I've found other larger genera like Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus to be much more exciting and interesting.
Along with other big NW terrestrials like Acanthoscurria, Xenesthis, Nhandu, Sericopelma, and a few of the Grammostola. Why have an LP when you can have a geniculata? Geniculata and pulchripes match LP's on size, girth, and appetites, and blow them away on markings and color. There's more colorful Lasiodora than LP's (klugi and difficilus).

If you're impressed by LP's, wait until you see what else is out there.

---------- Post added 12-06-2014 at 09:48 AM ----------

Turns out that size isn't really that important.
Women just say that when they're trying not to hurt your feelings.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Along with other big NW terrestrials like Acanthoscurria, Xenesthis, Nhandu, Sericopelma, and a few of the Grammostola. Why have an LP when you can have a geniculata? Geniculata and pulchripes match LP's on size, girth, and appetites, and blow them away on markings and color. There's more colorful Lasiodora than LP's (klugi and difficilus).
+1 The adult size and appetite are the draws for this incredibly popular species, but to me the LP is just the most boring, plain looking of ALL the large NW terrestrials, even its cousins difficilis and klugi look better to me...ALL the others, like the Pamphs, Phormics, Xenesthis, Acanthoscurria and even the larger Grammy's all match them in size and appetite...and all but those grammy's match them in growth rate. I just don't see the appeal to the LP when every single one of its counterparts look soooooooooo much better. I don't care if they stay out where you can see them, it takes more than that for me to consider it a true display species, it needs to look good, too.

To me using an LP as your display species is like framing up a big stick figure drawing on your wall as your art display.

There are only 2 t's I have no interest in ever owning, A. anax and the LP...and that's simply based on their boring looks. I'm glad they have such a good following, cause the market is saturated with them. Just my opinion on the species, nothing more, I understand my feelings about them are not necessarily the norm.:) I'm sure I'll get one as a freebie one day just because of my lack of interest.:)

I do have an LD.;)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

If you're impressed by LP's, wait until you see what else is out there.

---------- Post added 12-06-2014 at 09:48 AM ----------

Women just say that when they're trying not to hurt your feelings.
Yeah Why have just Lp when you can get klugi , phamphos, A genic/brock and just have all of then.Xenesthis I do not have yet, Id almost rather get another T stirmi.
My Budget is dead right now, Or Id collect more of these species.,
I have a Few LP's mine are very active.

Do Lp actually get that big ? Or average 7"? Mine is a lot cooler than my G rosea IMO, I like my LP.
Ts you gotta collect em all.

Last edited: