Salmon or Goliath BirdEater?

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I am trying to figure out which female to get but I cant get one of both so its got to be one or the other...Which do you guys prefer and why?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
L. parahybana. Less expensive, less fragile health-wise, the hairs are nowhere near as bad or as frequently kicked, and I like the color.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
salmon pink is going to be a lot cheaper and a lot easier to care for and won't be a pet hole.

although T. blondi is an attactive beastie and easily available at any reptile show i'd imagine. i found some fairly cheap 6" in sub adults for $80 which i don't think is too bad. if you get a full grown female salmon pink you're still going to have to shell out $120+ regardless of how cheap slings are.

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Blondi.
I really think it looks much better than the para. Mine does not kick alot of hair but I do not handle her! She have however an atitude problem I think she ates me or anything that alters her landscape{D ha she is always landscaping and alot of time out of the burrow
That's the one{D

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if you have the money and fancy the challenge then the Goliath, but if you aint and fancy a really big spider thats easy to care for then get the salmon pink. its up to you :D

i have both and the goliath is harder to care for and more quicker and agressive but is more impressive. but both are good eaters and grow about the same speed i think, i think the goliath is a little quicker.

pete :D

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just looked at your list, and if it's up-to-date, I think you are best off getting an Accanthoscurria geniculata, I noticed you didn't have one. ;P {D

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lucara, If you want a guarenteed female L. Parahybana you should be able to pick one up at the Daytona show comming up. I got my 3-1/4" guaranteed (F) about 2 years ago for $30.

Never had a blondi, but I itch enough doing cage maintenance on the Para to not really want to mess with the Blondi, even thou they are gorgeous.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am trying to figure out which female to get but I cant get one of both so its got to be one or the other...Which do you guys prefer and why?
I would go for the Goliath! if i where you. The L parahybana is more active, but i like blondi´s more. The downdraw is that they have a much more potent sticking hairs. I am sensitive to tarantula hair, so as for myself, i would think twice about getting a T blondi :embarrassed: /Johan

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well I already have a T. blondi male thats at 8" so I know all thats included with them but hes most likely going to have his final molt here very soon and I am looking to replace him since he was my first T. :(
It sucks cause I only got him at the F.I.R.Expo they had less than a month ago...*sigh*...

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well if you get the blondi as an adult female, you could potentially breed her to your male. Then your male might end up to be a more lucrative investment. But if you aren't into breeding, the parahybana is so cheap compared to the blondi, if you aren't set on "the largest spider" the parahybana seems to be quite well liked.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like my Blondie best. Mine isn't aggressive, my B boehmi had worse hairs and would kick them off as soon as I thought about looking at him. My Blondie always warns me, she points her bum at the ceiling, then if I ignore her and continue she sends me an orange cloud. She has been easy to keep, I haven't fussed over her at all. I got her as a little fluffy sling and now she is
6" at a guess without getting out of the chair to stick a ruler on her.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why not go with an T. apophysis! They are tottally crazy and unpredictable, but very exciting;-)

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I like the bulk of the blondi not to mention I fell completely inlove with the one that I have but im not ready to breed anything yet...plus my parents would skin me alive if they knew I was breeding Anything in their house =/ They just found my 10 new additions that came in today..it went better than I expected Lol. I think I will look for a little 2-3" female, I'm not worried about the price as long as its under $100 and im going to sell my male to someone who is actually ready to breed and can deal with all the babies to come. :(

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Okay how about this, OTHER than the Goliath and the Salmon Pink BirdEaters, what others are there? I am wanting to get a massive terrestrial that is out in the open 90% of the time. Someone mentioned the Goliath Pinktoe, are those terrestrials? Anyone have anything else they know of?

lemonie

Arachnopeon
My hubby and I had this same debate before we went with the L. para and we have no regrets. This thing is only a 1" sling and already has 'tude and acts like it wants to eat me. :drool: Bottom line, we wanted something pretty hardy since we're new to this and I love the coloring of the LP better. If you wanna go the fun route and aren't in a hurry for a female, you could get about 5 slings for $6/ea from Botar's and you're bound to get a female in there somewhere. {D

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Someone mentioned the Goliath Pinktoe, are those terrestrials? Anyone have anything else they know of?
A. geniculata, G. aureostriata, and other Acanthoscurria and Lasiodora species should fit your needs.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay how about this, OTHER than the Goliath and the Salmon Pink BirdEaters, what others are there? I am wanting to get a massive terrestrial that is out in the open 90% of the time. Someone mentioned the Goliath Pinktoe, are those terrestrials? Anyone have anything else they know of?
Massive terrestrial that is out in the open 90% (or more) of the time = Accanthoscurria geniculata!!!!!

Goliath pinktoe is an avic and is arboreal. Goliath pinkfoot (T. apophysis) is very similar to blondie....