Safe way to heat my spider room?

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So i have a spider room in my basement and its starting to get pretty cold down there, cold than i had expected it to get to say the least. Whats the safest most effective way *and cheapest* to heat a spider room 24/7. I am nervous about space heaters because i hear they are fire hazards. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
-Nate

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
as a fire engineer i have to agree with the space heaters being a bad idea... and i know everyones going to disagree with me but it gets chilly where i am and we just use heat lamps. we have night glo bulbs too that help keep the temperature from dropping more than 10 degrees and night. they tend to dry things out so we have to mist about every other day to every day depending on the t. otherwise our t's have thrived, and we're going to a day/night timer come winter and a humidifier to cut down the misting.

(bring on the rude comments, i stand by our setup, all our t's are happy) :D

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use an oil filled space heater. They are the least dangerous and are fairly efficient. I keep the spiders in my room in the winter. That way I get use out of the heater and can keep my eye on it too.

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The oil filled radiant heaters do work well and are as safe as I think you can get. They will not dry the air as much as most of the other heaters.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just keep the T's next to my snake tank. Depending on how cold it is (my T.'s are in the basement, too), the temp will range from around 68-72 F, give or take. The other side of the room will get down to around 60F in the dead of winter.

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use an oil filled radiator as well. My bedroom gets down to about 55-60F in the winter, so the radiator is just as much for me as it is the Ts :p.

climbingregalis

Arachnopeon
I've been using an oil filled space heater for about 5 years with my snakes and spiders and haven't had a problem. The only thing I've done to help safe guard it was I added an inline thermostat to it incase the one on it sticks.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Ive just never tried to heat the room. I also keep my bugs in the basement and it gets about 60 in the winter.. never had a problem. I just use heat pads on the sides of tubs for my roaches to keep them going.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my bed/bugroom gets down to 50*F in the winter and i didn't have any problems. actually it is a nice break as i don't have to feed when it is that cold.

i have probably ~20 sp. of tarantula, 4-5 sp of scorp, and 5-10 sp of centipedes (oh and 6 sp of roaches) and they all did fine. i wouldn't be surprised if some super tropical species ran into problems

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with the oil filled radiator type space heaters as I use one for my bedroom and one for the basement. Although these are for me I think the Ts will enjoy the one in the basement.

Art