Safe products/method to clean a tarantula enclosure

jay444

Arachnosquire
For regular enclosure maintenance, do you guys use anything else than warm water? I usually just use water, but I was wondering is anything a bit more effective would be safe. My question is more about punctual spot cleaning (like avic poop) than about thoroughly cleaning a whole empty enclosure and rince it good with water afterwards.

Just looking to learn new some new cleaning tricks :happy: Thanks!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
pair of tongs to holda folded up wet paper towel is all i use or a qtip in the case of my p muticus sling that seems to wanna take dumps on the rim of its deli cup

cold blood

Staff member
Warm water and a drop of dawn dish soap...rinse well.

Now keep in mind, there is no such regular maintenance to do with a t....you pretty much never need to just clean it out....my rose hair enclosure is going on 22 years without such a cleaning or a sub change.

Ts just really need spot cleaning.

jay444

Arachnosquire
Warm water and a drop of dawn dish soap...rinse well.

Now keep in mind, there is no such regular maintenance to do with a t....you pretty much never need to just clean it out....my rose hair enclosure is going on 22 years without such a cleaning or a sub change.

Ts just really need spot cleaning.
Good to know for the dish soap, thanks. I don't do regular maintenance on any on my enclosure really. I was trying to say without doing the whole thing and a rehouse. My question was more oriented towards my avic who regularly cakes her enclosure with her crap lol.

EvilTrailMix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Ephebopus shoot poop all over the walls and ceiling of their enclosures. To clean them, I spray the poo with water and let it sit for a minute or so before wiping it with a warm, wet paper towel.

sourpatchkid

Arachnopeon
For really dirty surface, spray with diluted vinegar, no more than 50%. Otherwise, use lukewarm water.
The only drawback with vinegar is the lingering smell that goes away a few days. It’s about as nontoxic as you can get.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
It's not an issue with my spiders yet, but for fish tanks, those cleaning sponges with the abrasive side are the way to go. Use the abrasive side and water to break down the stubborn dirt and the sponge side to wipe it away.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Every few months I'll wipe my avics enclosure with a wet paper towel and tongs, as she likes to paint her beautiful clear mainstay with feces, but I agree with others, maintenance is just picking out bolusus or filling water dishes.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I don't think I've ever "cleaned" an enclosure. I typically just wipe down the sides when theres poop on it