Safe glue for enclosures?

Conor121

Arachnopeon
I'm looking to make some adjustments to a cup that is to be used for an enclosure, I'm gluing clear acrylic to the old lid that I cut the middle out of.

Does anyone know if this epoxy is safe to use? Or any alternatives?

Im planning on letting it sit for a week or two to make sure theres no more off gassing. But im not familiar with epoxys so any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
If the bonding agent is cyanoacrylate then its aquarium safe, if not it's a no go. Aquarium grade silicone works too, but if you don't wanna pay the more expensive price for it, any tube that is 100% silicone with no additives is also fine

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I'd suggest any of the Weld On Acrylic glues, they actually melt the material and fuse it together. Once dry, they are gone. This is what people who work in the stuff on a daily basis use. There are various forms based on viscosity, drying time, etc.... that looks like you are doing an acrylic to non acrylic bond yes?

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I haven't used it for Ts but I have used hot glue for roaches and other inverts, and have found it unproblematic.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
any tube that is 100% silicone with no additives is also fine
This is misleading (I want to say 'false' but the 'no additives' claim is sort of unfalsifiable because it means different things depending on the context).

As a counterexample, GE Silicone 2 is "100% silicone" but is toxic to animals because of the curing agent it uses (not an additive, just a different ingredient). All neutral cure silicones are problematic for plant and animal use.

"Aquarium safe" silicone is always safe. Always.

As to the Epoxy question: Polygem Zoopoxy is the standard for animal enclosures. I don't know much about epoxy formulations, but the MSDS listed ingredients of the Gorilla Epoxy are very different from the Zoopoxy. Some components of epoxies get bound up, and some can leach out, and I don't know which are which -- most start out pretty toxic. I'd try to use something proven safe.

I agree that acrylic is best bonded to itself with acrylic adhesives.

Last edited:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
If you ever have any question just use great stuff. Let it cure and after that you could literally eat it or feed it to pets. DON'T DO THAT. It is non toxic after it cures for the recommended time that is on the can.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
A) Go to a major vendor of plastics/acrylics for commercial usage, like ePlastics or USplastics
B) See what glue they sell
C) See my earlier post

Conor121

Arachnopeon
I'd suggest any of the Weld On Acrylic glues, they actually melt the material and fuse it together. Once dry, they are gone. This is what people who work in the stuff on a daily basis use. There are various forms based on viscosity, drying time, etc.... that looks like you are doing an acrylic to non acrylic bond yes?
Yes its acrylic being glued to non acrylic so im not sure that acrylic glue would work

Conor121

Arachnopeon
I haven't used it for Ts but I have used hot glue for roaches and other inverts, and have found it unproblematic.
Hot glue has always been my go to but i cant seem to make it neat looking lol might end up just going that route regardless

sk063

Arachnopeon
Loving this resource more and more.... Stopped by a hardware store yesterday for some acrylic to replace the screen on my exo terras. While there I picked up some silicone to attach them. Came back to search today to find out that I purchased and used GE # 2 , dodged a bullet due to this thread. I've purchased the correct silicone now and have plenty of time before re housings need to take place. Thank you Folks for this great info. it probably saved 8 tarantulas from a brutal death.

Conor121

Arachnopeon
Was looking for that data sheet and couldnt find it but havent got around to making the enclosure yet, I was sure about it so i didnt use it and its a good thing i didnt thank you! ill look around for some safe silicone to use thanks everyone