Safe Glue for Custom Containers?

MaelRadec

Arachnopeon
I've made a couple enclosures for some of my inverts using plastic containers and mesh screen. For now I've been using packing tape to keep the mesh on but I would like to get rid of it and use some sort of glue. What would be the best glue to use that is safe?

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I would use silicon (fully cured) or hot glue.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Make sure you get 100% silicone, many have mold/mildew inhibitors that may harm the spider. GE II is a good example, get GE I and you are safe.
Superglue gel is also safe when cured but can become brittle.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
When in doubt, check the chemical contents then grab the MSDS sheets.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Silicone stinks. I mean literally. As it sets up, it is the worst. Once dry it's fine.
I prefer hot glue for that reason, but silicone creates a stronger bond.
If you go with silicone, use it outside if at all possible. I wouldn't trust its safety in the same room with inverts ever.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Silicone stinks. I mean literally. As it sets up, it is the worst. Once dry it's fine.
I prefer hot glue for that reason, but silicone creates a stronger bond.
If you go with silicone, use it outside if at all possible. I wouldn't trust its safety in the same room with inverts ever.
Until cured, I mean. Fully cured, it's the best.

MaelRadec

Arachnopeon
Hmm, I think I'm probably going to go with hot glue. Seems like the pros outweigh the cons. Thanks for the advice everybody! Just recently realized its much more affordable to make these things than buying a bunch of kritter keepers :smug:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Read something recently. Hot glues contain trace chemicals which keep them out of food processing applications certification. Conversely, there are numerous silicone glues certified for food processing equipment.
PS The acrid odor of uncured silicone glues is mostly acetic acid. Noxious but not considered a significant health hazard.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Read something recently. Hot glues contain trace chemicals which keep them out of food processing applications certification. Conversely, there are numerous silicone glues certified for food processing equipment.
PS The acrid odor of uncured silicone glues is mostly acetic acid. Noxious but not considered a significant health hazard.
I've been using hot glue in aquariums for fish for years with no ill effect.
I'd say for anything long term, silicone is better. Hot glue is not such a good 'stick'
Short term, I'd be comfortable with hot glue.
I'm sure what you're saying is valid. Just sharing my personal thoughts and experiences.