Safe Enclosure Decor

tiaxfletch

Arachnopeon
Hi! I am very new to the hobby and am hoping to get my first T (brachypelma smithi/harmorii) in the next few weeks. I wanted advice on what is safe to put in the enclosure, I wanted to add artifical plants/flowers. Would these have to be repitle/aquarium safe? and is there anything I should AVOID putting in the enclosure? (other tips and advice are welcome too) :)

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I've gotten fake plants from the dollar store. Just wash them real real good.

Don't put sharp things in there. Poison neither.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
Watch out with the plants....some have wire inside them and if you have to trim them to fit the enclosure, exposed wire is a hazard.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
usually with fake plants I’ll thoroughly rinse them in hot water

I would also say there are ways to sterilize the décor you get from nature which is something to consider given that it’s all free (such as rinsing in hot water and lightly baking in the oven at 300 degrees for 1 hour (the last part being for woods - sticks, logs, etc)) - i can spend about 5 min in the forest and come out with bags worth $50+ of moss, logs, sticks, various rocks and stones, substrate, etc (but I also live in Appalachia/WV so maybe you might not have access like this idk)

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
I would also say there are ways to sterilize the décor you get from nature which is something to consider given that it’s all free (such as rinsing in hot water and lightly baking in the oven at 300 degrees for 1 hour (the last part being for woods - sticks, logs, etc)) - i can spend about 5 min in the forest and come out with bags worth $50+ of moss, logs, sticks, various rocks and stones, substrate, etc (but I also live in Appalachia/WV so maybe you might not have access like this idk)
There really isn't much good in sterilizing stuff you collect from the woods. Rinsing - fine. But by baking, you'd mostly kill the good stuff and the bad stuff survives. For example, you're not gonna kill all mold spores that way. Springtails - yes. So might as well just put it in there right away and save yourself the trouble.

Last edited:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
There really isn't much good in sterilizing stuff you collect from the woods. Rinsing - fine. But by baking, you'd mostly kill the good stuff and the bad stuff survives. For example, you're not gonna kill all mold spores that way. Springtails - yes. So might as well just put it in there right away and save yourself the trouble.
It will kill mites and insect eggs. A piece of wood could bring all sorts of stuff in.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
(but I also live in Appalachia/WV so maybe you might not have access like this idk)

“Actually, we prefer ‘Appalachian Americans’…” :rofl: (Sorry couldn’t resist!)

I like cork bark, sphagnum moss, and fake plants - the same as reptile stores sell but, as mentioned, be careful of any internal wire if modifying.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No big flat rocks. Could crush T should it burrow under. No fake Cactus.. T could become impaled. And, NO DISCO BALLS.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
I would say that while I use natural décor and things like that my goal currently is not to have a “bio active” enclosure with live plants and insects and this sort of thing (that will come later next year) - which is to say when I sterilize things, for me, I’m not looking for any sort of stuff, good or bad

rinsing in nearly boiling water is going to kill off a good bit of unwanted things, followed up by baking in the oven, this will additionally kill anything that remains, and if i want to sterilize it further i use distilled vinegar treatments where (after rinsing and baking) i either rinse the décor with the vinegar or use vinegar wraps (paper towels saturated in vinegar) - all of which is aquarium safe, then I thoroughly repeat the hot water process multiple times to remove all of the vinegar with the water (usually I’ll rinse, dry, rinse, dry, rinse and dry)

I also leave things to “cure” - so I won’t immediately put something I’ve treated into an enclosure but give it time to air out

using the vinegar will eliminate any potential for mold spores in addition to the 2 other methods without having to use any toxic chemicals which could adversely effect the specimen

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi! I am very new to the hobby and am hoping to get my first T (brachypelma smithi/harmorii) in the next few weeks. I wanted advice on what is safe to put in the enclosure, I wanted to add artifical plants/flowers. Would these have to be repitle/aquarium safe? and is there anything I should AVOID putting in the enclosure? (other tips and advice are welcome too) :)
I avoid using heavy objects and items with sharp/pointy edges

joossa

Arachnobaron
Something like this. This is what I recently set up for a new Brachy I got. The plants are rubbery and not pointy. The cholla wood is mostly buried.

20210705_123123.jpg

TheraphosidaeWebster

Arachnopeon
U can always go look at a hobby shop/ art/craft store for things and always look at clearance and sales you might be surprised what u find...but as everyone else has said ....clean it and I personally air dry....(Depending on what it is)...but I would definitely try to stay away from sharp pointy things...some Ts are clumsy...and I personally just wouldn't take the risk