Sad , Sad Discovery "questions also"

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I woke up today and did my normal routine of getting ready for school and checking on my inverts and to my suprise, I found my female P.boreus ( Ulga ) had gave birth through the night which I am SURE of because she was EATING on of them right of her back leaving only 1 left. So I looked over to my container pile opened a new one and imediatly rememberd that 1st instar care thing, when I got back,it was to late to see what happend to him, he was nowhere to be found, My female as you have seen in my posts was FAT! no she is in her swimsuit for to the loss of her young.

1 spermetaphor

months of wait

1 sad little man

Well to my grief I knew I had another one about ready to pop (within days) and I would like to atleast get some young off of her before she has a feast

Should it be damper when they give birth, I have them on the terrain were I found them * I made it to look like it * and sometimes its damp were I find them,. BUT I need to have the info I need to have myself a buzzing littlebrood of scorplings

Info is appreciated

Eli

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Eli

Thats too bad, this happens. You found these scorpions, which means you should have a very good indication as to how to keep them. What sort of scorpion are they, fossorial obligate burrower, semi-fossorial, live under rocks, scrapes etc, how does it live in the wild? What is the generic name, I'm not familiar with a lot of these species.

More than likely it will be that the atmosphere is too dry and that doesn't mean adding a heap of water to the substrate, it doesn't take much water to saturate a small volume atmosphere. In the wild scorpions find themselves microenvironments where the humidty and temperature are what they need for growing, parturition etc. You need to emulate those physical parameters for success.

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, so like if I found them under rocks and a slight burrow I might just dampen underneath a few hides or so,? would that be right? Scientific name is Paruroctonus boreus. Hmmm I am begining to think I might can save the next brood If I try this.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, so like if I found them under rocks and a slight burrow I might just dampen underneath a few hides or so,? would that be right? Scientific name is Paruroctonus boreus. Hmmm I am begining to think I might can save the next brood If I try this.
Hey Eli, have you tried setting up different condtions on differnt sides of the tank to see which they perfer?

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sure there will be people here who will know exactly how to keep this species. If your tank leaks air then you need some way of keeping the humidity up without adding too much water. No point in me saying too much because I'm not familiar with the species....but your problem is most likely water related, it often is. Under rocks and a burrow scrape means semi-fossorial. Normally these types of scorpions seal off the burrow or the scrape and have the young, this keeps predators out, but also bumps up humidity.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Normally these types of scorpions seal off the burrow or the scrape and have the young, this keeps predators out, but also bumps up humidity.
That was one of the notes I made on my V spinigerus last night Mark. Sealed off her burrow completely and also dug her scrape about 2 to 3 times deeper than normal to allow headroom. She will obviously partuate within the next week or so.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That was one of the notes I made on my V spinigerus last night Mark. Sealed off her burrow completely and also dug her scrape about 2 to 3 times deeper than normal to allow headroom. She will obviously partuate within the next week or so.
Very interesting...maternity ward pre prep eh!..:D Way to go...and will she open the burrow once the young have molted to seconds or before?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very interesting...maternity ward pre prep eh!..:D Way to go...and will she open the burrow once the young have molted to seconds or before?
I don't have a clue. I actually had to lift up her hide last night to make sure she haden't partuated yet. I shouldn't really have bothered her but I'd like to learn as much as I can now, so in the future I will be able to breed and not have to question anything. She sealed off the burrow last Friday, so its been a week. She was plump then and I could see the slings through the plurel membrane. When I checked last night I got a good look and I'm starting to see what appears to be legs and tails inside of her so the embyros must be close to finished.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't have a clue. I actually had to lift up her hide last night to make sure she haden't partuated yet. I shouldn't really have bothered her but I'd like to learn as much as I can now, so in the future I will be able to breed and not have to question anything. She sealed off the burrow last Friday, so its been a week. She was plump then and I could see the slings through the plurel membrane. When I checked last night I got a good look and I'm starting to see what appears to be legs and tails inside of her so the embyros must be close to finished.

Sounds good. If you had her in a small sealed container you could watch the lot. If you disturb the hide do you reseal it all the way around to keep water vapour trapped?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds good. If you had her in a small sealed container you could watch the lot. If you disturb the hide do you reseal it all the way around to keep water vapour trapped?
Well I did have a hunch she was creating an optimal birthing enviroment so I lightly wet the sand/soi because it has dried a lot since last week, which is when I put her in a small container. I use a broken pieces of clay pots for hides, so I put that over the 3 inch scrape she dug and dug a little enterance for her and then covered the top with sand. But the enterance I left for her to get back into the scrape she has already covered again. I did this about 2 last night, so in about 8 hours shes compltely buried herself again.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I did have a hunch she was creating an optimal birthing enviroment so I lightly wet the sand/soi because it has dried a lot since last week, which is when I put her in a small container. I use a broken pieces of clay pots for hides, so I put that over the 3 inch scrape she dug and dug a little enterance for her and then covered the top with sand. But the enterance I left for her to get back into the scrape she has already covered again. I did this about 2 last night, so in about 8 hours shes compltely buried herself again.

Very good Ed. What a great father you're making....:D She certainly is gunna have young by the looks...well done.