Sad news and difficult decisions...

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Well, since this is about my T's I guess it goes here, but then it's about life too, so if you feel it should be in the watering hole Scott, please move it.

I have to get rid of most of my T's. I will probably only keep 2 or 3 at the most. The situation with family has gotten to a point where it is for the best. Though my husband really has been trying to help out (even though he is terrified of them) the T's still are not getting the level of attention they need with me being so often otherwise occupied. Also, due to some unpleasant developements in ownership of the apartment complex we live in, there is a very good chance that the rent is going to be raised so high come April that we will have to move. Smuggling in a couple of T's to a new apartment is easy enough, but smuggling dozens of them is another thing entirely. I have already found homes through my contacts at a local pet store for 4 of my 70+ T's, but that really hasn't made much of a dent :) I don't mind giving away some of the less expensive T's (rose hairs, curlys, usumbaras, etc.) but I would like to be able to get a least a little of my investment back on some of the others, especially since it would help offset the high cost of gas - it's almost a 4 hour drive to my mother's/sister's place. It seems too cold to ship, so I don't want to advertize in the classifieds here, and I really don't want to take them to the local reptile show since you never know if the buyers are competent or not (yea, I'm worried about where they will go...) Soooo.... anyone have any suggestions?

Gail

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Similiar situation here......

Hey Gail,
I too am being forced to look for a new apartment because the rent out here is becoming outrageous...I am already paying $845.00 a month for a one bedroom apartment here in Torrance California and I have arrived at the descision that it it time to start looking for a new place.I am unsure how it will go over when I am applying for a new apartment if I tell them I have this huge spider collection - they might freak out.So I am probably going to have to cut my collection way down and smuggle them in to my next apartment.I will put the cages in a cardboard box and tape it shut and just carry them in like any other box of belongings...this apartment crap really sucks as like in the apartment I am living in right now, they can come into your apartment at any time for any reason even if you are not at home...it it a total lack of privacy.I wish you good luck with you tarantulas and try to save your very best specimens and smuggle them in like I suggested ....that is what I am gonna do!!!

The Evil Spider Hunter

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Gail,

Did you think about possibly just finding a T sitter for a time? Maybe give them money for their upkeep and when you can, smuggle a few into your new apt. at a time? There's quite a few hobbyists in PA that I can think of. Just a few thoughts...

Hope everything gets better for you soon.

Scott

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
if you cant find anyone locally, id be glad to take a portion of them for a while till you settle down, then ship them back to you, free of charge. the cost in crickets wouldnt be any higher than it is for me now, as id just go back to ordering online. just thought id offer to help any way i could. if you are dead set on selling them, pm me with a list of what you have and what youd like to get for it. sorry i cant be of more help

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
if you cant find anyone locally, id be glad to take a portion of them for a while till you settle down, then ship them back to you, free of charge. the cost in crickets wouldnt be any higher than it is for me now, as id just go back to ordering online. just thought id offer to help any way i could. if you are dead set on selling them, pm me with a list of what you have and what youd like to get for it. sorry i cant be of more help
Same here about the selling and the listing parts. I know, I'm too lazy to type out my thoughts.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that Gail.

Things come though, and things go, and things come again. Perhaps you will one day have a nice little house not-so near anyone else, where you can keep whatever it is you want, like lots and lots of little T's :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'd be happy to T sit too, but I know shipping is expensive, and it's cold now. In fact, I am T sitting for another person too.
I'm sure other people would T sit for you if you could find them in PA
Maybe you should start with the classifieds here, and ask?

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
id be happy to sit for you too, i can drive down to you, or pm me with what you'd want to sell me.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gail... stuff is easy to smuggle! Get yourself a big black duffel bag. People in my building think I am a travelling business man always carrying a suitase (little do they know what creatures lurk in my bags)

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Oh Gail that really sucks....:( I hope you come to some sort of solution so you dont have to lose so many :(

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Gail,
I could possibly watch some of your tarantulas or would be willing to purchase some. (
I have family in Pittsburgh and Uniontown PA. How close are you to those areas? Maybe if we could work something out, I could take a visit up to see them and meet with you.
Email me.
Ralph

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm So sorry to hear that Gail. :(.

I'd Hate to lose our babies.

I'd love to provide homes for some,, or all if I could aford them.

I'm in Baltimore Maryland. I could look up how far white oak is.

I know it's an hour and a half to Hershey PA from my house.

Maybe we can work something out.

Give me a mail?

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Well, that's one of the great things about this board - everyone is so supportive - thanks everyone.

I too had thought about the T sitter route, but things are so up in the air with my mother's condition, the apartment and other job related crap, that I really feel it would be best to just find most of the T's new good homes. The bright side of this is that some day, when things get better - and they will - I can go on a T buying spree to replace all that I have to give up now :D

I'm going to take the advice and post a list in the classifieds but I really don't want to ship, partly due to the weather, and partly due to the fact that I want to sell the T's WITH the housing they are in - everything from clear rubbermaid containers to petpals - so unfortunately it will limit me to those who are able to actually come and pick them up. So, for the many who expressed an interest or ablility to come to the Pittsburgh, PA area, please see my list in the classifieds just in case I miss PMing any of you :)

Gail

PS - I'm working on the list right now (9:37 am) so it will be a few minutes before I get it up LOL