S.Viridis and S.Alterans

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What exactly do these look like and how big do they get, I came across 2 sites using the same pics but interchanging those names

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In A Synopsis of the North American Centipedes of the Order Scolepedromorpha (Chilopoda), Dr. Shelly reports that S. viridis reaches a maximum of 3 1/4" while S. alternans gets to 6" (although he also mentions Carl Sandefer reports lengths to 7 1/2"). Dr. Shelly also mentined (on an internet discussion group) that he suspects that the Puerto Rican Giant of the hobby is probably S. alternans.

Wade

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I thought that S. viridis was just a more western version of S. polymorpha? I thought the attained the same sizes? I really should read that book after spending $40. bucks on it :) Just haven't found the time.

Aren't the PR giants supposed to attain alot more than 6 or 7 inches? Wouldn't that eliminate them being S. alternans?

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
According to the book, S. viridis and S. polymorpha are two distict species. I think Sandefer's book listed polymorpha as a subspecies, but Shelly has them listed seperately.

I don't have any personal experience with the PR giants, but Shelly said something to the effect that he thought they were probably S. alternans on the millipede group a few days ago. It could be a case where there's a species living on a lot of islands, and some forms vary in color and size. Perhaps the PR form is bigger than the south Florida form, which was Shelly's primary concern in the book.

Wade

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade
In A Synopsis of the North American Centipedes of the Order Scolepedromorpha (Chilopoda), Dr. Shelly reports that S. viridis reaches a maximum of 3 1/4" while S. alternans gets to 6" (although he also mentions Carl Sandefer reports lengths to 7 1/2"). Dr. Shelly also mentined (on an internet discussion group) that he suspects that the Puerto Rican Giant of the hobby is probably S. alternans.
Wade
This is kinda odd, at one time I did have a Puerto Rican Scolopendra that was at least 8". I should have pics, but I'd really have to look.
john

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It could be a situation simmilar to what we see with S. subspinipes...different populations with widely variable sizes. Dr. Shelly's book was concerned primarily with what occurs on the mainland US. Perhaps the Florida variety is simply smaller than the PR variety. On the other hand, he did say "probably", so he's not sure about it either...

Wade