S. triangulosa Sac x2

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thought I'd start a new thread for this topic..

My Steatoda triangulosa laid a sac on Jan 1st and now today there's another one!

They were laid two weeks apart, so is this normal or does it indicate 'dud' behaviour? Does anyone know what the chances are that they are both good sacs?

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
I had a S. triangulosa last year that had 2 or 3 sacs and all were good.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for your input! I'm just anticipating ahead, but only time will tell for sure... I'll post an update if or when they hatch.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Update

Ok, so as of today, there is now a third sac. :eek:

The first sac, that was laid at the beginning of this month, has had dark specks in it for about a week now. Is this how it's supposed to look (over time) or is this one sac no good? :? The other two are just white.

Last edited:

TomM

Old Timer
it could be a bunch of 2nd instar slings.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
it could be a bunch of 2nd instar slings.
Yes, it turns out the black specks were the baby spiders developing healthy. They just hatched! There's only about 13 I counted. So tiny and cute! What do I feed them? Will they feed off pieces of pinhead crickets the mother kills? Should they even still be in with the mother?

Two more sacs to go now.... Wow, now what to do with these spiderlings once they all emerge.

Anyone in my part of Canada looking for this species?

TomM

Old Timer
I separated mine from the mother but I don't think she'll eat them. I would just feed them a few Flightless Fruit Flies. They would devour them. As for getting rid of them, I don't think many people will want them. I just let them go once the weather got warmer, except I saved one and it turned out to be female. She's going on about 8-9 months old now and matured in probably matured in about 4 or 5 months (I powerfed the crap out of her).

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's a long wait until warmer weather here, so I might not keep them all, but I was wondering if I could feed them to my smaller tarantulas? Or would the steatoda try and bite and envenomate them?

I was thinking someone around my area might be interested because they are not common where I live (I've never seen one...usually just Parasteatoda tepidariorum, not Steatoda triangulosa, which looks way cooler :))

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
did you ever check out my page on that? maybe that might help a little... :D
Just did. I learned that I should have removed the sac from the mom when it started turning black. Aw well at the time I didn't know if that was normal or not. Now my other two sacs are turning black and they will be removed today...pronto! Because it's hard enough to feed the mom normally with the first sac loose in there with her. I'm going to let them cannibalize down to maybe some I'll keep. It's been a learning experience. Thanks.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Update

The sac count is now up to 6! She's laid 6 sacs since January 1st! :eek: Can't keep them all, but I'm doing my best. :eek: