S. subspinipes fasting

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My subspinipes has not had anything to eat in about 2-3 weeks. I wonder if its going into molt, im not sure if that is common w/ pedes to fast or not. Iv had it now since dec. and has eaten fine till now. She kept in a rubberamid type container, 4" peat, water dish, and some moss. 70 at night 80-85 day. Any idea's welcome.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

I've had pedes fast for months with no ill effects.

Scolopendra subspinipes like to dig and to hide beneath leaf litter. Temps can range from 70F to 100F with humidities from 60%-90%. Generally it is more humid and cooler in the evening and drier and hotter during the day in thier native environment.

In their native environment they hide beneath logs, rocks, leaf litter, and usually have extensive and deep burrows as well. If provided with enough moist peat/potting soil, they'll dig a burrow.

Hope this helps,

Paul

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds like premolt behavior to me....I wouldn't sweat it though. From what I've heard pedes can go for quite awhile with out eating...and tend to do so before a molt. He/she looks real good in the pic. I'd just be patient....on day you may wake up to a bigger, brighter pede.
Good luck............Roy