S. Subspinipes Enclosure/Size?

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Ran across one of these at my local store and was told at about 8" it is full grown? That said do they burrow much or are they out fairly often? I keep OW Ts currently and while Ive heard stories of thier speed they seem a little on the slow end compared to things like my OBT or C. Lividum? That said its priced at $40 and while Im more into scorps and Ts I was considering expanding the collection. My current available habitat is a 12x12x13 with about 9" of sub setup for an OW fossorial, is this sufficient or overkill?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ran across one of these at my local store and was told at about 8" it is full grown? That said do they burrow much or are they out fairly often?
Given the opportunity (inches of substrate, hides such cork bark, fake leaves and wood everywhere) they are pet holes, they love to burrow. But when mine is out (mostly because she's hungry) she loves to remain out for hours. Different, on that sense, from O.B Theraphosidae.

I keep OW Ts currently and while Ive heard stories of thier speed they seem a little on the slow end compared to things like my OBT or C. Lividum?
Ah ah :angelic: nothing is like a S.subspinipes, IMO. Nothing. I guarantee you that OW's T's are a joke, compared.

That said its priced at $40 and while Im more into scorps and Ts I was considering expanding the collection. My current available habitat is a 12x12x13 with about 9" of sub setup for an OW fossorial, is this sufficient or overkill?
Inches/Cm of substrate are never 'overkill'. The only limit is the enclosure size... I can DIY a huuuge enclosure and throw inside that 50 inches of substrate, and my P.muticus (example) would love that. Granted, you would need Hercules for move that enclosure, but it's a detail :-s

Go for one man, they are incredible predators and stunning animals.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The only thing you need is an 'escape proof' enclosure :-s because those really are escape artists. Again, nothing compared to T's.

However I've noticed that my baby doesn't try to escape when her "belly" is full. This is another difference with T's: T's would die into a potato sack when hungry if no food arrives from the sky like in the Bible.

My S.subspinipes, on the other hand, would try to escape for get the food when hungry. I'm "scared" by her intelligence, I'm not joking :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Pedes should have at least 2x their length and as wide as they are long. At least. Pedes are extremely active unlike T's and wander around a lot. You want a lot of height for your convenience. The pede shouldn't be able to reach the top off either the sub or decor. 12x12x13" for a pede that can hit 10" easily is just miles too small. Miles.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Faster than my P. Murinus? I like the sound of that lol. :D So how are they at compressing themselves? I make all the lids into a hinged door that locks but it usually has about a 2 - 4mm gap due to what the dremmel takes. Sorry for the question bombardment but I really dont trust my local shops advice considering Im usually the one telling them how to setup thier Ts properly lol.

Edited for name correction. (Thanks auto fill...lol)

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
So at its current size if I cut the sub by half for now to around 6" you think it would work? Any larger enclosures I have to order online so it would have to work until it arrives. I estimate it at around 6 - 8" now but im going off of memory. How fast is thier growth rate?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
How fast is thier growth rate?
I will give you the idea based upon my first hand experience.

Fast to the point that a not even 2 cm lovely clear colored pedeling that decided to 'jump' out of Mommy's safe (and cannibal probably) haven, within a couple of months reached a lenght size like half of a Marlboro Red 20 cigarettes packets.

Background: my female, bought as unsexed as almost always happens, was gravid.

Unlike for T's, this is almost normal with centipedes since 99.99% of those are pure finest WC. Pedelings jumped out months ago, and, in October, I personally packed and shipped to another Lombardy breeder/seller 24 S.subspinipes pedelings (couldn't, nor wanted, in all honesty, to care for all of those).

Now happened that the pedelings were more, because a week ago, more or less, I've found a S.subspinipes out of my door, crawling in the garden, at 4 of the morning. One of my cats was with me, lol :)

Thing is: the bugger managed to survive. Eat. Molt. Access to water and dehydration? Tell him/her. Living near me while I wasn't even aware. Then, for a sort of 'Pulp Fiction' bullet miracle, I spotted him/her.

Now bugger lives in my garden... after all, being the son of a WC monster, the local fauna prey wouldn't affect him/her I suppose :angelic:

So yes, I have two S.subpinipes: mommy in the enclosure, and a rebel son/daughter free in the garden. Alea Iacta Est, one moment.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
So at its current size if I cut the sub by half for now to around 6" you think it would work? Any larger enclosures I have to order online so it would have to work until it arrives.
Height isn't important at all. Centipedes aren't arboreal Theraphosidae, therefore height is useless. You know why 'height' is always suggested? For reduce the chances of escape attempts, a thing I didn't considered at all, on purpose, even if I'm full aware of their ability.

Since they can climb, and, like mine, able to use the air holes I've drilled for help that climbing rapture (only when she's hungry) that's why enters the 'height' stories: the more taller the enclosure, more harder for those to climb and reach the top = keeper can sleep well.

So my man ask to yourself if your enclosure is 'escape free'. If yes, height shouldn't be too much of an issue and a normal XL size enclosure, if escape free, would work for a juve/adult.

This is mine, btw, a normal KIS plastic stuff, sizes (cm) 40 X 34 X 25 (height) u_u

image_52036.jpg

http://www.kis.it/singola-variante?id=26720

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
So my man ask to yourself if your enclosure is 'escape free'. If yes, height shouldn't be too much of an issue and a normal XL size enclosure, if escape free, would work for a juve/adult.
I wont say escape proof given that tempts fate, but to date we have not had an escape in any of the enclosures Ive made. What do you use for airholes? Ive been using an extremely small dremel but for slings and a multi bit for larger juveniles and above.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Ill add to that though security has always taken the primary focus, afterall whats a little more work if it keeps you and spider safe? :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What do you use for airholes? Ive been using an extremely small dremel but for slings and a multi bit for larger juveniles and above.
Nothing: I use nothing for create air holes when it comes to arachnids. Reason is, if specimen/size and thus a proper enclosure is offered, escapes with those happens only due to 'Goofy' keepers attempts or distractions so I use the 'pre made' ones air holes ones, mostly (KK, glass enclosures for spiders, etc).

When it comes to centipedes, another story. I use this stuff, perfect also for stab the throat or femur of someone, btw, without the issue of hide too much:

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/hole-jabber-p-3474.html

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
The cages I make are acrylic for display purposes so unless that can get really hot it wouldnt work. :/

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The cages I make are acrylic for display purposes so unless that can get really hot it wouldnt work. :/
Man, I'm sorry if I sound annoying or else, but glass, plastic, acrylic, Alien stones or what else... if (in the case of Scolopendridae, especially S.subspinipes and Asians/Oceania ones, since their venomous bite is brutal like if someone 'equipped' with a John Holmes penis butt rape wild & dry) the enclosure is 'escape proof', you are fine. Of course, of course... they are legged (lots of legs) Houdini.

So how you can view your enclosure as 'escape proof' ? Well, you can't 100% with those IMO. I know people that still today wonders how their centipedes managed to 'Papillon' using/moving/crawling/stretching in places where no chubby pet rock T's could... not even OW's ones.

But offering 'height' helps. In doubt, play the height card, and centipedes "ciccia" :)

Or screw the 'height' part, but be sure that those, with their heads, can't "open/warp" the top. And that the top is fully sealed/locked. Just this, no matter the material of the enclosure.

For instance, this, acrylic made, is perfect for not so bigger centipedes. See? Height is only 15 cm, but a juve/adult can't open that top nor jump out from those little holes :-s

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/habistat-acrylic-enclosure-p-2757.html

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Heres a rough draft version of the ones Ive been using for juveniles. The edge and lip prevents any wedging to escape but like I said, its never been pede tested lol. 20170313_160806.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Heres a rough draft version of the ones Ive been using for juveniles. The edge and lip prevents any wedging to escape but like I said, its never been pede tested lol. View attachment 234163
Now I can't figure out exactly the size from that pic but IMO that will work. Imagine just one more 'bigger' (maybe floor space) and you're done :-s

I see no issues, man. Good work.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Now I can't figure out exactly the size from that pic but IMO that will work. Imagine just one more 'bigger' (maybe floor space) and you're done :-s

I see no issues, man. Good work.
That one is 5x9 for juveniles. The others though are the 12x12x13 but follow the same design.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The others though are the 12x12x13 but follow the same design.
IMO you can use that without issues. I see no possible escape points from those holes by a juve/adult centipede nor how he/she could 'sneak' out by that top. Good job :-s

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Well its done lol. Hes in a temp enclosure awaiting the arrival of his more permanent one. How strong are these guys anyways? I was extra paranoid as I am usually with new arrivals and put a large soup can ontop of the already locked lid lol.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well its done lol. Hes in a temp enclosure awaiting the arrival of his more permanent one. How strong are these guys anyways? I was extra paranoid as I am usually with new arrivals and put a large soup can ontop of the already locked lid lol.
How can you be so sure about the sex? :angelic: I wish you to end with a gravid female, it's a joy to collect those pedelings, packing and shipping them :troll:

They are stronk :) but I doubt you will have problems. Enjoy those amazing hunters.