S. polymorpha questions

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Hey guys. I have a scolopendra polymorpha coming in through the mail from pinchers and pokies tomorrow. I was reading some things about them online and had a few questions for you guys.

1. how do they stay hydrated in the wild? Do they get the water from the insects they eat, or from real water?
2. How moist does their moist side have to be?
3. How often and how much should I feed it?
4. Do they dig tunnels, or do they bury themselves like crabs? if they make tunnels, What happens if it collapses on them?
5. is there any specific care for a molting pede?
6. How can I ventilate my 10 gallon tank? Would a screen top be enough? How important is ventilation?

I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 inches of ecoearth and 2 inches of sand on top. Unfortunately, the sand is not dry. Would this be a problem for him? Otherwise, i have a little bin with some really dry sand. I wanted to wait for your answers on humidity before making one side of the dry bin more humid.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Hey. I don’t want to come off as rude, but you can’t definitely find most of these answers by using the website’s search function. Many of these questions are very commonly asked and answered.

Here’s what I will say: polymorpha is an arid species. Keeping them too moist without good ventilation will cause mycosis. This does not mean that you shouldn’t offer them a water source. I already gave my comments on your enclosure previously.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Well, I looked using the search tool, and I didn't find the answer to a single question. Not sure what i'm doing wrong, but like said, i can't find any of those answers.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Good ventilation and slightly moist but not too moist substrate. It should seem kinda damp but not so damp that when you squeeze it it holds its shape, it should fall apart into a clump. Small water bowl and deep sub, as these tend to burrow. Feed them once every 1-2 weeks.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Good ventilation and slightly moist but not too moist substrate. It should seem kinda damp but not so damp that when you squeeze it it holds its shape, it should fall apart into a clump. Small water bowl and deep sub, as these tend to burrow. Feed them once every 1-2 weeks.
aren't they from the arid, dry, desert? I have been using dried eco earth. I did add a water dish though. How much should I feed them every 1-2 weeks? mine is a juvenile if that changes anything.

sloth

Arachnoknight
aren't they from the arid, dry, desert? I have been using dried eco earth. I did add a water dish though. How much should I feed them every 1-2 weeks? mine is a juvenile if that changes anything.
They live right in my backyard! You’re right they do live in a dryer place, but the times I’ve found them out in the wild they’re normally under a rock or burrowed down somewhere where there’s a little more moisture. Not soggy but slightly moist. That’s how I keep the 2 I have currently; I agree with @mantisfan101, good ventilation slightly moist sub. That’s how I’ve kept mine and they thrive. I offer mine food every other week, but every 1-2 weeks is fine just make sure they don’t get overweight ;) If you have any more questions feel free to PM me

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
They’re good in a typical glass tank with a screen lid in my experience. I have kept them mostly dry with a small (bottle cap) water dish and maybe a light misting once every 14 days. Fed weekly on 1 medium Dubia roach for most adult polymorphas in the hobby was sufficient only the larger and somewhat rarer Arizona locales would require a larger meal. These pedes are forgiving in terms of care as long as you give them adequate cover, don’t soak them, and allow for good ventilation, you should do fine.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
aren't they from the arid, dry, desert?
I live in southern Arizona, and find them around and in my house - but not everything that lives in the desert likes it dry. We also have native species of fish here, for example. In the case of S. polymorpha, I find them in damp situations. I keep them in cages with deep coco fiber, and keep at least part of the substrate constantly damp. If you use a large enough cage you can keep one end damp, the other dry, and let the centipede choose its own comfort zone.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
I live in southern Arizona, and find them around and in my house - but not everything that lives in the desert likes it dry. We also have native species of fish here, for example. In the case of S. polymorpha, I find them in damp situations. I keep them in cages with deep coco fiber, and keep at least part of the substrate constantly damp. If you use a large enough cage you can keep one end damp, the other dry, and let the centipede choose its own comfort zone.
I've been keeping mine in a really dry coco fiber and a small water dish. is it okay to keep him like this?