S.Polymorpha Question...

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WELL... I HAD a Small (about 5") S.Polymorpha that I picked up from a local shop here in the state...Seems the pede took a vacation while I was ON vacation...Oh, dont stress, we found the little guy...Dead ::grins:: And We're thinking that there is potential that it may have taken a stab at our Pup...Just kinda curious if anyone else (perhaps in the AZ, NM) area has had their dog bit by one of these pede's and what did ya do about it? Seems that most of what I've been reading is that he'll just have to pass the Venom (If he was bit) And We've talked with a couple different Vet's and Vet Tech's Who've kinda said the same thing...That it was like a Wasp sting, and it should fade in a couple days...Any Ideas?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
WELL... I HAD a Small (about 5") S.Polymorpha that I picked up from a local shop here in the state...Seems the pede took a vacation while I was ON vacation...Oh, dont stress, we found the little guy...Dead ::grins:: And We're thinking that there is potential that it may have taken a stab at our Pup...Just kinda curious if anyone else (perhaps in the AZ, NM) area has had their dog bit by one of these pede's and what did ya do about it? Seems that most of what I've been reading is that he'll just have to pass the Venom (If he was bit) And We've talked with a couple different Vet's and Vet Tech's Who've kinda said the same thing...That it was like a Wasp sting, and it should fade in a couple days...Any Ideas?

damn. i guess the ion channel "pain" manipulation is the same... but the mechanics behind a centipede and wasp venom are pretty disimilar.

unfortunately i haven't been able to secure the consent of any cats or dogs to try venom on, so you are stuck with human affects for now =P

lots of local soft tissue swelling, reddening, itching. i wouldn't want to get bit on the head or neck/throat area.

based on my reactions, you would probably be able to notice the swelling on a dog. but then the swelling has lasted anywhere from ~4h to 8 days... so the dog could have totally metabolized the venom already and be totally free and clear.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have seen S. heros castaniceps eat dogs ... well hot dogs ... does that count? I doubt that a polymorpha will cause any serious probs unless the dog is a tiny one. SHC MAY could kill a dog the size of a chuachua or however you spell that taco bell dog lol But for a dog of any size i dont think even a big SHC would hurt it too bad.

also ... I think ... that i have ...used more elipses than Caco...
what do you think?

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kenai definatly isn't a small dog~ seems that He's starting to be a bit more active now so I think that it was just more of he had to get it out of his system and so forth...We'll see though....

<-----------That's the Pup over there as the Avatar pic too BTW :D

Last edited: