S. mesaensis rehouse

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I am wondering if my rehouse is suitable for my adult (?) S. mesaensis. I put him/her in a large kritter keeper with a mostly Quartz sand substrate (dry) with some coco fiber mixed in.

I've been reading contradictory info regarding including a water dish (or in my case, a bottle cap) and the kind of hide used. I took 3 pieces of cork bark and created a kind of rock-looking hide, but I know this species also burrows. I wanted to create a kind of desert-dune environment but I'm not sure I did it right.

I am open to suggestions and realize that my set up probably has some things wrong with it.

Attachments

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I would make the opening for the hide smaller. Maybe just push out some sand out to form a small dent and lay the cork over that. You could do that with all 3 pieces and give him/her multiple hide options.
I also definitely advise a water dish. Even if you never see the scorpion drink from it, they will.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
4” of sand substrate and a flat piece of bark is all that’s needed. Dig out a small path under the cork to promote a burrow and the scorpion will do the rest. Water dish optional. I don’t use one.