S. limdata wing trouble?

Dimity

Arachnosquire
Hi! So Winter's nymphs have all grown up and most are adult or sub-adult. They were doing fine until Athena, one of the 1st female to hit final molt (7-24-21) started having this happen to her wing. Gone kind of see through and not holding it flat like she used to. Any ideas what could be wrong? She still eats and is very active. Too much humidity? She's in a new enclosure...

Attachments

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Hi! So Winter's nymphs have all grown up and most are adult or sub-adult. They were doing fine until Athena, one of the 1st female to hit final molt (7-24-21) started having this happen to her wing. Gone kind of see through and not holding it flat like she used to. Any ideas what could be wrong? She still eats and is very active. Too much humidity? She's in a new enclosure...
She probably injured her joint. Shouldn’t be an issue. If it annoys her she will bite it off.

Dimity

Arachnosquire
And the wing becoming almost clear and wet looking? Is that from injury too? I've redone her enclosure and given her honey water while waiting for an answer just in case. She loves it of course!

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
And the wing becoming almost clear and wet looking? Is that from injury too? I've redone her enclosure and given her honey water while waiting for an answer just in case. She loves it of course!
Probably injured the joint, there could be hemolymph on the wing. If you find a wound apply cornstarch to it to cause clotting.

Dimity

Arachnosquire
I looked at the wing more closely and it appears that the fluid is causing swelling inside the wing like a big blister. You can see where it's darker yellow. There doesn't seem to be anywhere I can try clotting. The other wings seem fine.

Attachments

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I looked at the wing more closely and it appears that the fluid is causing swelling inside the wing like a big blister. You can see where it's darker yellow. There doesn't seem to be anywhere I can try clotting. The other wings seem fine.
Looks like a big hemolymph bubble. DON’T pop it.

Dimity

Arachnosquire
Oh I won't. I don't suppose it will absorb back into her body at that size?

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Oh I won't. I don't suppose it will absorb back into her body at that size?
It is usually caused by an injury so, no. If it pops on its own apply a ton of cornstarch to there and hope she doesn’t bleed out.

Dimity

Arachnosquire
You are awesome! I always learn so much. Out of curiosity, if she bites it off couldn't she also bleed out?

In the meantime one of my T. sinesis (sp?) has molted with wings that never fully unfolded. It's been about 3 days. Not enough humidity?

My ghost mantis Shai has laid 4 ooths so far and is hungry all the time so I assume she's still working on more. Qwinn is gone unfortunately, but he died for his species (eventually) though there was plenty of food available.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
You are awesome! I always learn so much. Out of curiosity, if she bites it off couldn't she also bleed out?

In the meantime one of my T. sinesis (sp?) has molted with wings that never fully unfolded. It's been about 3 days. Not enough humidity?

My ghost mantis Shai has laid 4 ooths so far and is hungry all the time so I assume she's still working on more. Qwinn is gone unfortunately, but he died for his species (eventually) though there was plenty of food available.
Thanks! I do my best!

Yes she could, just because she does it doesn’t really change anything. It could also fall off if it gets too heavy.

Usually if wings don’t fully extend its because they didn’t have enough internal moisture AKA didn’t drink enough water.

Congrats on the ghost ooths, sad to hear about Qwinn.

Dimity

Arachnosquire
Thanks. Armed with cornstarch and honey water for good measure now I will have to do the best I can.

Dimity

Arachnosquire
Thanks. Armed with cornstarch and honey water for good measure now I will have to do the best I can.
Athena had pure black eyes this morning even after the lights had been on for quite a while. I gave her plenty of honey water and dusted her wing joints and the whole injured wing with cornstarch even though I couldn't see any definite wetness. Also cleaned her quarters. She hated the cornstarch but let me finish before attacking the q-tip. This afternoon her eyes a back to normal.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Athena had pure black eyes this morning even after the lights had been on for quite a while. I gave her plenty of honey water and dusted her wing joints and the whole injured wing with cornstarch even though I couldn't see any definite wetness. Also cleaned her quarters. She hated the cornstarch but let me finish before attacking the q-tip. This afternoon her eyes a back to normal.
Probably just night eyes. They stick around for a while.

Dimity

Arachnosquire
She went to climb onto my hand this morning and her wing must have twisted because it started to drip. She was definitely in pain because she grabbed my finger and bit me. Hard. I was able to get a qtip to stick in her mouth but her forearms still had me tight while I put cornstarch all over the wing. Oozing stopped and she released me. Honestly I kind of wish it would just come off in front of me so I can deal with it instead of finding her bled out sometime.

Attachments

Dimity

Arachnosquire
So it's not a good idea to try to breed her with that wing, right? I have 6 beautiful males all ready to go and only 1 other female, Aria, ready. She's a sweetheart but has a strange rear end... Any thoughts or helpful hints?

Attachments

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Looks like it was deformed in her molt. Any chance you could spare a male or 2? I have 2 lovely ladies who are in need of a male.

Dimity

Arachnosquire
I could do that. But how am I going to get them to you in this heat? Also, do you have a ghost mantis ooth or 2 to trade?

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I could do that. But how am I going to get them to you in this heat? Also, do you have a ghost mantis ooth or 2 to trade?
I actually have 2 ghost ooths right now. Shipping with a cold pack would work.

Dimity

Arachnosquire
No idea how to do that. You would have to talk me through it. Also, I would like an opinion on a future limbata ooth. If it takes me a while to get back to you it's because I'm not getting notifications on my desktop all of the sudden.