S. Heros supplies and care

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just making this thread to make sure I got the basics down and to get input from more experienced keepers.

So basically from what I have read you can keep scolopendra heros/polymorphia in a large/XXL critter keeper with three inch deep bedding consisting of peat moss/cocnut choir, or damp sand mixture and a small water dish and decorations.

As for diet they seem to be omnivorous scavangers with a preference living prey. What I don't know is their feeding schedule, how much a week or day do they need?

As for additional details, I have a choice between the type you see in the pic and the "cherry head variety" all black with a redhead. Local is near Prescott AZ with elevation of 5500 to 6000 feet above sea level.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Attachments

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You know I'm not going to lie, I thought these were death dealing giants that slaughtered everything in their path. After looking at a presumably fully grown one they kinda seem underwhelming.... Far from the mouse slaying machines the internet hyped them to be.... The last pic is a "pedeling" likely blue.

Attachments

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No one has any advice to offer? No corrections on any misinformation I have read about while formulating my plans? This is a noob thread for some one about to start keeping these animals. (Of course it should be said I ordered Orin's book on caring for these guys,I don't rush into things without doing research first)

Last edited:

Scoly

Arachnobaron
That's really good you're doing research before jumping in, a lot of people don't!

Caring for centipedes is easy enough.

Cage needs to be tall enough so the centipede can't easily scale its way over the edge when the lid is off. Lid needs to be 100% secure, no gaps, no weak spots, they will push and squeeze through anything. Surface area big enough for it to wander, but not so big it can't find prey.

Substrate needs to allow burrowing, and preserve moisture. Peat moss/coconut choir is not enough on it's own, best buy some organic top soil and mix it in, or use just top soil.

Humidity is a tricky one. You need to provide humid parts in the enclosure, but for arid area species, which S. heros is, you don't want the whole cage damp and have the animal in constant high humidity. That's why you need deep-ish substrate and a hide, so it will find moisture under there, but the surface of the substrate should be dry, and there should be good air circulation (also helps avoid mould & mites).

Feeding is a matter of keeping the centipede in a decent shape. If its dorsal scales strongly overlap it's under-fed, if you can see the white in between or it looks distended, it's over-fed. If prey items don't get eaten over night, remove them and wait before feeding again. Don't be afraid to starve a centipede for a few weeks once in a while. If it is really prowling all over the place it's probably hungry.

Hope this helps!