S.h.castaniceps...a must view thread!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
bump

this thread is way too cool to be on page 5 or whatever :)

for those of you just tuning in.... LaRiz has a well documented case of a S.h.c throwing multiple litters in multiple years without being re-bred each time!

amazing read!
rebump... new centifriends should read this!

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, go on with the thread, can't wait to know whats up, not to mention to see the pics :)!!!!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bump...we have a lot of new members, all of which may find this interesting :)

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm currently working as a histotech in a vet diagnostic lab. Therefore I have access to lots of fun toys and people that have some clue as to what the insides of different animals look like. I've already talked to one of the pathologists about the potential of looking at a dead pede, performing a gross necropsy on it and then processing it for histology where I would section it and put it on slides on my own time. I then have the access to the scope with the nifty camera attached so I can take pictures of whatever I section.

My question...would this be worth anything to you pede fanatics out there? and if so... What should I specifically be looking for? If I'm sectioning a pede, would sagital sections or cross sections be more useful? (If I have more than one pede, I'd like to try both ways, but I'm not sure if that will be an option)

This came up because my female S. alternans currently has a clutch of fertilized eggs just past the egg stage but not mobile yet. I got her in January and I haven't seen her since March...needless to say, I didn't even know she was a female, much less gravid until I found the eggs. I found this thread and all the questions it brought up and I was talking to people at work and they suggested that if one of my plings dies I should bring it in to study. What do you guys think?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
good lord! over a year since this got bumped!?

read all about a well documented case of a scolopendromorph centipede storing sperm over multiple years AND multiple molts. they don't shed their sperm storage receptical lining like tarantulas do. is nice!

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is an amazing thread. I just purchased this species as my first centipede.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
*bump*
This is a must read thread for any aspiring centipede breeders. Members prior had been bumping this thread up annually for the sake of informing new members - I shall continue the tradition.

I would also like to add that one of my E. rubripes (not Poisonous Insect, a smaller one) laid eggs last year, which she later ate. A few months ago, she dug a large pit in the substrate, as described by the posts on this thread, but eventually abandoned it for some reason. Now, she's at it again, and after reading this, I have got my fingers crossed for some nice half green/tiger E. rubripes babies.