S. h. castaneiceps head and tail shots (pics)

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Great pics of one of my favorite Scolopendra, Scott! :)

Alex S.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

awesome, hey scott are'nt those rarer than other deserrt pedes on the market or at least uncommon?--Jeff

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Actually, out of the heros, this is the most common one. It's the other two (arizonesis and heros) that are uncommon. I've never seen and arizonesis for sale. I was lucky enough to pick up a heros though. :D

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's an arizonesis I collected a few years back...

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
You Lucky Lucky Man you.....

How long have you had it for now? What size is it? Where did you catch it? At the SASI conference?

Congrats on a great catch,

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scott-

Unfortunately, that centipede died last year. It started to develop a sort of "leg rot", I suspect that the conditions were too moist. I think S. heros needs to be kept a bit drier and with better ventilation than most other pedes...but not too dry. This subspecies seems to be a bit more delicate than S. h. castaneiceps. It was a bit over 8" when it died.

It lives on in photographs, however. Art Evans took some great pictures of this guy chomping on a fuzzy, and the pictures appeared in his "spineless wonders" column in the "hot" issue of REPTILES mag a few months back, as well as the latest issue of FAUNA magazine in his article on Arizona invertebrates (called "Sky Islands, Desert Sea"). Art actually took the above pic, but that one was throw away that he just gave me, since it's a little out of focus and you can see the blue plastic in the background.

Wade

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
it's the other two (arizonesis and heros) that are uncommon.
I've never seen a pic of a S. Heros Heros before, could you post one? Also, are there any internet dealers that have any that you know of?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
I've never seen a pic of a S. Heros Heros before, could you post one? Also, are there any internet dealers that have any that you know of?
It's actually called "Blue-tailed Centipede" or "Texas Blue-tail" sometimes... the onyl place I know of that even has one is Glades Herp. I checked their list a few days ago and they had one left.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Last I heard, they were called blacktailed, not blue. You can find pics in the centipedes gallery AD

Scott

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by mrderanged
Last I heard, they were called blacktailed, not blue. You can find pics in the centipedes gallery AD

Scott
Believe it or not, "blue-tail" is what some of the vendors that have them call them... I know for a fact that Glades labelled them "Blue-Tailed Centipede" with a scientific name of S. h. heros, and I've seen the same nomenclature from a couple of other vendors as well, whose names escape me at the moment. I think it has to do with the fact that the heros group tends to have slightly bluish black coloring instead of true black in a lot of specimens, so they appear a little bluish in the light.