S.Dehaani Eating Live Fuzzy

Scolopendra Kendrick

Arachnopeon
05098189-204B-4372-8C02-6716278FE654.jpg IMG_0761.JPG 12B28C9B-0C2D-4E0D-B9E9-362634CF5DF3.jpg Just took some photos of my Dehaani eating a live fuzzy. Really good feeding result for first live fuzzy. He also has taken a f/t pinkie. If you look close you can see the vertebrae in one of them haha. Didn't leave one bit behind.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What a IMO terrible, terrible thing. Please note: I'm not judging you at all, man, nor I want to play the 'sissy PC' part (lol, go figure) and I know that in the wild is normal, and that, for a Scolopendridae of such impressive size, a mouse is a yummy meal, but I can't not think about the pain that poor beast suffered.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
What a IMO terrible, terrible thing. Please note: I'm not judging you at all, man, nor I want to play the 'sissy PC' part (lol, go figure) and I know that in the wild is normal, and that, for a Scolopendridae of such impressive size, a mouse is a yummy meal, but I can't not think about the pain that poor beast suffered.
If it is necessary I have no qualms, such as when feeding snakes. I also don't have quite the same reaction when I've seen house geckos eaten or footage of this happening in the wild, but the gratuitous feeding of mammals & their attendant suffering for entertainment is disquieting.

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
Poor mice... Keeping centipedes or other invertebrates in a tank has nothing to do with normal wildlife so it's absolutelly not necessary to feed live vertebrates! But it seems like poeple love to see the agony.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Disgusting. Plain and simple. There is absolutely no need to feed live vertebrates to any invert.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
Oh God. I can't roll my eyes hard enough. He's not torturing it for the fun of it. He's feeding his predatory pet. I hope everyone who is so outraged about this is vegetarian, cuz if you not, the last chicken you ate probably spent its entire (and short) life in a tiny filthy box. I'd rather die from envenomation. The only problem I would have with this, if it were my scolopendra, would be if the mouse was a danger to the centipede. I am inexperienced with centipedes, so I don't know how real that danger would be.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh God. I can't roll my eyes hard enough. He's not torturing it for the fun of it. He's feeding his predatory pet. I hope everyone who is so outraged about this is vegetarian, cuz if you not, the last chicken you ate probably spent its entire (and short) life in a tiny filthy box. I'd rather die from envenomation. The only problem I would have with this, if it were my scolopendra, would be if the mouse was a danger to the centipede. I am inexperienced with centipedes, so I don't know how real that danger would be.
Nonsense. I basically eat and always ate everything that moves from snails, frogs to donkey, rabbit, horse meat (yum horse meat) etc therefore chicken meat included, but I can guarantee that no chicken raised in our Lombardy country homes by our grandfathers, following the ancient tradition, would love to end dead by envenomation (and what a painful venom, btw). They just end their life with someone pulling their neck, lol. Then the table. But in the middle they were able to move, eat well etc

I wouldn't eat that industrial 'battery' poop crappy meat, like the (correct) example you made :)

Anyway, what's better, dead for dead, if something/someone needs to die one moment? To die in a painful way, or with a bullet straight in the head? That's the difference.

Offering a B.dubia or a cricket to a venomous invert is just like a man smashed by a huge Truck/Tir at full speed in the highway = death in no time. Granted, a spoon is needed after, but pain? Nope.

A mouse will suffer before dying from venom (and btw, in this case eaten alive and envenomated at the same time). Just like when/if you torture someone. That's different. Only this. I'm not in any way or etc saying that a mouse life is more important than a cricket/roach one: but the way they die (and suffer) is different, when it comes to that.

P.S

Centipedes (especially those ones) are armored venomous 'tanks', you can feed those all the mouse you want, lol. Without risks if the 'size' part is respected (unlike when it comes for T's since those aren't strong like Centipedes).
It's only a IMO ethic issue and nothing else.

Last edited:

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
False equivalence. Generally people don't eat complex animals capable of feeling pain & something approximating distress/fear while still living. We have the ability to dispatch the animal mercifully, whereas the centipede does not. I can't imagine why anyone would intentionally inflict suffering.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Nick H

As you can see, those impressive predators, in the wild, eat basically everything they can overpower. People views Theraphosidae as a sort of 'ultimate' predators and sometimes they end to overestimate them a bit, but the truth is that, in general, T's are a joke for brats if compared to Scolopendridae, especially the Asian ones, as far as I know the most brutal when it comes to venom potency and hunter attitude.

A bulky frog like this would be, seriously, a threat for an adult 'Grammo' (only if the frog jumps on the spider, lol, bye bye) but not for those. And that's normal, it's fine, it's nature law even if the F-Word idiot in this video try to interfere with his crap. But in captivity we can choose, here the difference.

Scolopendra Kendrick

Arachnopeon
To all whom I've offended your delicate sensibilities, I apologize. But a few things to say. It was long gone before the centipede even began eating due to paralysis.

Don't tell me about animal cruelty, I don't even eat meat. Most of you going on and on probably stuff you faces full of meat. If you want to talk about cruelty, check out what you eat. Take a second and watch Blood of the Beast (1959) it's on YouTube.

I feel feeding pre killed vertebrates is no different than feeding live vertebrates. Either way they die. You buy these mice to feed and for no other reason. No one gets there panties in a knot over snakes eating live and most of the time if they are non venomous snakes they strangle, but I've seen my snakes swallow still alive rodents. You guys will say it's ok to feed a live pinkie to snakes that don't even measure up to the mass of centipedes!!!! Can't feed a invert a vertebrate because it's a invert.. pfff. IT HAS MORE MASS THAN ALOT OF SNAKES.
In addition how is a crickets life any different than a mouses life? I bet people with the larger pet crickets would be pissed of you fed them to an animal.
This mouse was out within 10 seconds of the first bite. OUT. So it didn't suffer anything.
If anything go attack someone who feeds their monitors live rodents and they shred them to pieces while they are still concious. OHH BUT YOU WONT BECAUSE ITS OK BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT INVERTS.

Adult centipedes get so much more from feeding off of vertebrates. A lot of experienced keepers know this. This is a pretty massive specimen and I plan on making it larger.

NONE OF THIS WAS FOR ENTERTAINMENT!

But I know the the rush and excitement all keepers get when feeding feeding any animal. Taking pictures of the guts of crickets is ok though?

It's not like I threw a mouse in the tank to get a kick out of it.

Lastly I've owned many species of scolopendra and they by far act more natural, healthy and less stressed out when eating less meals that are of greater size. This specific one eats about every three weeks to a month. Very active. Very large and healthy without over feeding.

The species I've owned and only feed roaches or crickets to do not seem as healthy. Yeah they might be fine. And great they can live just fine off of just crickets. But if you could have an animal that acted healthier and looked significantly better while also reaching larger sizes I'd feed it mice every time.

In addition these fuzzy mice are sooooooooo weak compared to a centipede that there is almost a zero chance of it hurting my centipede.

I would never risk doing this on a younger centipede. I also don't do this for all of my centipedes. I like studying the behavior with different eating patterns. This particular one is the only one in my collection I'm feeding mice every time and this one was the first time that it was a live mouse, not a f/t. THATS WHY I DOCUMENTED IT. All my other species I switch it up. Crickets, roaches, etc.

To those who have instagram check out chrisweeets posts. He is one of the best keepers I know of. He usually always feeds live and has beautiful specimens that are super healthy.

At the end of the day. They are my animals.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
To all whom I've offended your delicate sensibilities, I apologize. But a few things to say. It was long gone before the centipede even began eating due to paralysis.

Don't tell me about animal cruelty, I don't even eat meat. Most of you going on and on probably stuff you faces full of meat. If you want to talk about cruelty, check out what you eat. Take a second and watch Blood of the Beast (1959) it's on YouTube.

I feel feeding pre killed vertebrates is no different than feeding live vertebrates. Either way they die. You buy these mice to feed and for no other reason. No one gets there panties in a knot over snakes eating live and most of the time if they are non venomous snakes they strangle, but I've seen my snakes swallow still alive rodents. You guys will say it's ok to feed a live pinkie to snakes that don't even measure up to the mass of centipedes!!!! Can't feed a invert a vertebrate because it's a invert.. pfff. IT HAS MORE MASS THAN ALOT OF SNAKES.
In addition how is a crickets life any different than a mouses life? I bet people with the larger pet crickets would be pissed of you fed them to an animal.
This mouse was out within 10 seconds of the first bite. OUT. So it didn't suffer anything.
If anything go attack someone who feeds their monitors live rodents and they shred them to pieces while they are still concious. OHH BUT YOU WONT BECAUSE ITS OK BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT INVERTS.

Adult centipedes get so much more from feeding off of vertebrates. A lot of experienced keepers know this. This is a pretty massive specimen and I plan on making it larger.

But I know the the rush and excitement all keepers get when feeding feeding any animal. Taking pictures of the guts of crickets is ok though?

Lastly I've owned many species of scolopendra and they by far act more natural, healthy and less stressed out when eating less meals that are of greater size. This specific one eats about every three weeks to a month. Very active. Very large and healthy without over feeding.

The species I've owned and only feed roaches or crickets to do not seem as healthy. Yeah they might be fine. And great they can live just fine off of just crickets. But if you could have an animal that acted healthier and looked significantly better while also reaching larger sizes I'd feed it mice every time.

In addition these fuzzy mice are sooooooooo weak compared to a centipede that there is almost a zero chance of it hurting my centipede.

I would never risk doing this on a younger centipede. I also don't do this for all of my centipedes. I like studying the behavior with different eating patterns. This particular one is the only one in my collection I'm feeding mice every time and this one was the first time that it was a live mouse, not a f/t. THATS WHY I DOCUMENTED IT. All my other species I switch it up. Crickets, roaches, etc.

To those who have instagram check out chrisweeets posts. He is one of the best keepers I know of. He usually always feeds live and has beautiful specimens that are super healthy.

I am not centipede expert, so I have a question. What benefit does it provide the centipede to eat live mice?

basin79

ArachnoGod

You can try and dress it up how you want. There's NO benefit for the pede killing/eating live vertebrates. NONE. There was absolutely nothing stopping you from tapping the mouse and killing it INSTANTLY. The pede wouldn't have known or cared a jot.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
You can try and dress it up how you want. There's NO benefit for the pede killing/eating live vertebrates. NONE. There was absolutely nothing stopping you from tapping the mouse and killing it INSTANTLY. The pede wouldn't have known or cared a jot.
Well, that answers that. If it's not for the centipede's benefit, for whose benefit is it?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

See that if you have read (which I'm sure you did) my first comment I've said that I'm not judging you at all, man. And it's true, you can offer what you want to your animals u_u

As far snakes are concerned ain't an 'expert' at all so I can be in error but if I'm not wrong, you can't offer to a Python, Boa or what else, a cricket, a roach or a worm, ah ah :-s

I have absolutely no problems with snakes eating live mouse. Live, not even frozen ;-) And I have absolutely no problems with a mouse being eaten by a Scolopendridae, just that don't tell me the story that they don't suffer, lol.

But what you said about Scolopendridae that "act more natural, healthy and less stressed out when eating less meals that are of greater size" is highly debatable. My female S.subspinipes, gravid, before 'throwing' out healthy pedelings eated only roaches and crickets, and everything went fine. And I tell you this... I've packed and shipped 24 S.subspinipes healthy pedelings, one sadly died.

Well... now believe me or not (I don't have a pic to show because I've spotted him/her at 4 in the morning when I was out in my garden with one of my cats, next to the door) just the other day happened that one of those pedelings (indeeed they weren't 25 lol) crawled just near me, and he/she was a "bit slightly bigger" than the last time I've saw his/her bros :)

This alone, eating alone for months, without no mouse nor else... I don't have a clue how the 'pede survived without an easy access to water/humidity, what eated, how safely molted and in God only know which spot ah ah just the only thing I know is that for sure didn't ate a mouse. Now lives in my garden while 'mommy' is in the enclosure :p

Last edited:

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I never got the sense that the post was about getting satisfaction from watching a live mouse being eaten. My reply is that it was a brutal scenario. Not cruel nor insensitive but brutal as nature can be brutal. A mammal
being eaten alive by a myriapod is indeed startling but it occurs in the wild I'm sure. Perhaps the mention of 'vertebrae sticking out' gave credence to those that think you were perhaps glorifying the event. Feed your centipedes whatever you want is my opinion just be prepared for backlash if you post it. That's just reality. For the record, I love meat.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
I'd like to pose a question. Say someone DOES find pleasure in watching their predatory pet take down it's prey. Is that really so bad? I mean, I agree that it's a little messed up to want to see anything suffer. But I've always loved watching animals doing what they do best. I love watching a good hunting dog work a field, I love watching an octopus 'become' its surroundings (not that I've ever seen that in person. I watch a lot of nature documentaries). I love to watch my Schultesia lampyrydiformis eating and molting and breeding (seriously. I just sit and watch them way more than can probably be considering normal), but I also love watching my ambly and mantids hunt those same roaches down. I find it all to be fascinating. As @Chris LXXIX said, these large scolopendra are basically little venomous armored tanks. They are extremely well equipped to be able to take down a small rodent with ease (based on what I've learned from this thread). I find that to be amazing, impressive, and fascinating! And I'll be honest. When I finally get one, I'm probably going to want to see it for myself. Does that make me a bad person? Maybe. I'm open to that possibility. I like to think of myself as just endlessly fascinated by the natural world, though.