S.Dehaani Eating Live Fuzzy

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Hey guys, just wanted to add that someone who collected S.gigantea in Trinidad (not sure if he's the same person as the member who posted about his travel there, and how he found a few specimen) stated that they were so large, that their diet was very similar to that of a snake, and that they were much more prone to eating vertebrates than inverts. :)

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't feed a live mouse because they're just too cute to me anyways
This. This is the problem with almost any animal related issue. People think an animal has more value just because it's cute. But I don't. Too me, a mouses life has much the same value as a cricket or roach.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I don't feel more for mice than the crickets and roaches I use as feeders. However, a mouse has more of a capacity for pain and fear than a cricket does. A mouse will also take longer do kill even if it is being paralyzed or anesthetized by the venom, whereas the crickets I use stop moving within a few seconds. There is less net suffering, if you will, if mice are used as food than if invertebrates are used. Mainly for this reason, I think that live vertebrates should never be fed to invert pets unless there is an utmost need to.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
This. This is the problem with almost any animal related issue. People think an animal has more value just because it's cute. But I don't. Too me, a mouses life has much the same value as a cricket or roach.
Not saying it has more value, I'm saying that I wouldn't do it because A: I love mice and B: mice feel pain and express it differently to crickets. Every life has the same value, I doubt you'd be happy to watch a dog fed to a crocodile rather than something that is more commonly used as a feeder like a chicken or fish

basin79

ArachnoGod
I fed my Scolopendra viridicornis a F/T mouse fuzzy the other day.

Q: Did the mouse die?

A: Yes.

Q: Did the mouse suffer?

A: Possibly. If the Co 2 wasn't administered properly. If it was the mouse would have fallen asleep and then died.

Q: Would the mouse have suffered more being fed live to my centipede?

A: Absolutely. The initial bite would have been excruciatingly painful. Then the venom. Then more puncture wounds from the fangs and the pain of actually being eaten alive. And just let that sink in. EATEN ALVE. Now being a mammal we KNOW just want pain that mouse would be going through.

So ask yourself this. If you where told you where 100% going to die which way would YOU choose?

A) Co2 slowly pumped into a room you where in until you died.

or

B) Stabbed repeatedly, injected with bleach and had your flesh slowly ripped off.

I know which I'd choose.