S. dehaani bite report.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Be careful, don’t start the new YouTube trend: Scolopendra dehanni challange.
Maybe that would actually be a good thing. All these 'cool guys' taking a bite might tone down new keepers with more 'swag' than sense. :vamp:

Last edited:

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I guess it all depends on how knowledgeable your parents are about pedes. If i was 15 again and got bit by a centipede, let alone a dehaani, my parents wouldn't question me nor give me a chance to explain... they'd take me to the ER regardless of what I "knew from online" and they'd be down that $300.. well, just my $0.02...
What the actual? You guys pay $300 to go to ER? Does that mean BMX is a rich kid sport in the US? :wideyed:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
What the actual? You guys pay $300 to go to ER? Does that mean BMX is a rich kid sport in the US? :wideyed:
Oh my god we can pay way more than that. Even with insurance. I remember when my secondary insurance tried to buck me and I only had my primary insurance? I needed an MRI on my pelvis and it was going to cost several thousand dollars.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Jesus!! My heart goes out to you all. In the UK we still enjoy what I believe is sometimes called "socialized" healthcare in the US :D but that's under threat here too because there's so much money to be made from it that our corrupt politicians are trying to tear it down by under funding it so it can be declared ineffective and sold off, which has already started. In fact that's part of what Brexit is all about. If it were up to me I'd plunge them all in a bath full of pissed off dehaanis.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Jesus!! My heart goes out to you all. In the UK we still enjoy what I believe is sometimes called "socialized" healthcare in the US :D but that's under threat here too because there's so much money to be made from it that our corrupt politicians are trying to tear it down by under funding it so it can be declared ineffective and sold off, which has already started.
Yes, well I'd also be paying like $15-20k more a year to taxes to have "free healthcare". Though I'm sure that's grossly over simplifying things...

Either way, cost isn't just money. As someone mentioned you'd be missing school, your/your parents time lost playing video games at night (other parents play video games, right?), paperwork, grounding you, etc.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I hit my toe really hard once and it was bent at weird angle so I went to get it X-rayed to see if I'd broken it or not. Well turns out my toe wasn't broken so all they did was tape it to the toe closest to it and slap me with a $200 bill. I don't go to get anything looked at anymore unless I'm absolutely sure I need a professional to fix it.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Yes, well I'd also be paying like $15-20k more a year to taxes to have "free healthcare". Though I'm sure that's grossly over simplifying things...
Yeah, it's a notoriously difficult one to compare the likes of UK vs US take home pay, specifically because of all the extras you pay for in the US, and whether your employer meets those costs, or the average price of gigantea and hardwickei (I paid £55 for mine :-D).

You'd have to be on quite high pay for the difference to amount to $15-20k. Here's very basic comparison: https://blog.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/paye/tax/comparison-of-uk-and-usa-take-home/

Personally I'd rather pay the extra tax and know that poor people are covered. But, then I'd also like to know that money is being spent well, which it really isn't. Every month stuff surfaces about how our NHS pays some well connected sub contractor £70 for every light bulb they change. And bits are being sold off to private companies at an alarming rate, who become sole providers and screw us over.

Anyway, enough ranting, I'm off to raise my wee army of dehaanis in preparation for that bath.

Curiosipede

Arachnosquire
Scolopendra Dehaani Thai Cherry
Bite Report

Date of envenomation: November 23, 2017

3:30 -time of envenomation. Mild pain localized to envenomation site.

4:03 -swelling begins, and starts to spread. Finger joints slightly stiffen. Pain still at mild, manageable levels.

5:27 -swelling has spread app. Halfway up the forearm; as well as swollen the better part of my right hand. Pain has increased considerably.
6:00 -swelling still increasing slowly. Pain reached broken bone levels around the envenomation site, with mild pain all the way to the armpit.

7:30 -the swelling has reached a standstill, about all the way to the elbow. Approximately 35% swelling, with 100% being twice normal size. Pain is steady for the next 10 or so hours, when it slowly began to decrease until nonexistent.

24 hours later -no pain, however no change in swelling.
48 hours later -swelling has begun to reduce, and tightness in joints is nearly gone.
72 hours later -only swelling local to the envenomation site, tightness in joints almost completely gone.
One Week Later -tightness of skin still present at envenomation site. No pain, or stiffness of joints. Envenomation site has begun to itch profusely, at intervals. If scratched, envenomation site swells like a bee sting.

Reasons for envenomation: Second handling of the day, first day of ever being handled. I also assume she smelled the three other pedes I held today.

I would like to stress the fact that it is unadvisable to attempt handling subspinipes or Dehaani, due to their potency, and jumpyness.
This being said, I would also like to admit that I absolutely deserved this envenomation. I know better than to over stress a jumpy, potent Centipede.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Bite Report

4:03 -swelling begins, and starts to spread. Finger joints slightly stiffen. Pain still at mild, manageable levels.

5:27 -swelling has spread app. Halfway up the forearm; as well as swollen the better part of my right hand. Pain has increased considerably.
6:00 -swelling still increasing slowly. Pain reached broken bone levels around the envenomation site, with mild pain all the way to the armpit.

7:30 -the swelling has reached a standstill, about all the way to the elbow. Approximately 35% swelling, with 100% being twice normal size. Pain is steady for the next 10 or so hours, when it slowly began to decrease until nonexistent.

48 hours later -swelling has begun to reduce, and tightness in joints is nearly gone.
72 hours later -only swelling local to the envenomation site, tightness in joints almost completely gone.
One Week Later -tightness of skin still present at envenomation site. No pain, or stiffness of joints. Envenomation site has begun to itch profusely, at intervals. If scratched, envenomation site swells like a bee sting.

Reasons for envenomation: Second handling of the day, first day of ever being handled. I also assume she smelled the three other pedes I held today.

I would like to stress the fact that it is unadvisable to attempt handling subspinipes or Dehaani, due to their potency, and jumpyness.
This being said, I would also like to admit that I absolutely deserved this envenomation. I know better than to over stress a jumpy, potent Centipede.
After reading all of this (comparing your report with others I've read) I say that, pain you suffered apart, you were somewhat lucky :)

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Bite Report

Gnarly one. Have you taken a regular dehaani bite? If so, how did they compare? I wish this wasn’t the default thread to post dehaani bite reports lol. New one please! This one can go away...

Curiosipede

Arachnosquire
Also wanted to note that running water helps with the pain. It stimulates the nerves and mitigates quite a bit of even the broken bone level pain.

Curiosipede

Arachnosquire
Gnarly one. Have you taken a regular dehaani bite? If so, how did they compare? I wish this wasn’t the default thread to post dehaani bite reports lol. New one please! This one can go away...
I actually havent taken a normal dehaai envenomation. The only time i handled my normal dehaani he was super chill.