S. dehaani bite report.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Woah Rhys took a bite... not surprised. First off, I was being stupid with an obviously stressed centipede and I don't regret it. Now to the bite: I was freehandling, yes freehandling, and everything was going well. centipedes calm, I'm calm, but my green tree frog wasn't. Little bugger freaked out while the pede was just casually strolling and scared it, pede thought my thumb was the frog, you know what happened. I yell a pretty friendly, OH FRICK and toss it in my sphagnum moss container, seal the lid, and go laugh about it to my mom. Sadly, my stupid self got a dry bite, and I didn't get the bite I was wanting. So overall: Rhys is fine, Centipede is fine, and I'm still going to handle it until it kicks my a** with a wet bite. :smug::smug::smug: (15 year old takes deadly centipede bite(NOT CLICKBAIT!!!)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I assume you have read bite reports of actual S. subspinipes/S. dehaani "wet" bites? From everything I've read or heard, it is incredibly painful. A guy I knew who got tagged said it was "the worst pain ever" "like someone was slamming his hand in a car door - over and over and over again." Not the kind of thing I'd mess around with. Not to mention if you got a real bite, the pain is supposed to be pretty immediate - which might result in your pede getting unceremoniously flung across the room rather than dumped into a cushy moss container, which could end up with the pede either loose in the house or spattered on the wall.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I assume you have read bite reports of actual S. subspinipes/S. dehaani "wet" bites? From everything I've read or heard, it is incredibly painful. A guy I knew who got tagged said it was "the worst pain ever" "like someone was slamming his hand in a car door - over and over and over again." Not the kind of thing I'd mess around with. Not to mention if you got a real bite, the pain is supposed to be pretty immediate - which might result in your pede getting unceremoniously flung across the room rather than dumped into a cushy moss container, which could end up with the pede either loose in the house or spattered on the wall.
Oh yes I've read nearly every bite report for these guys on the site. I kinda simplified the moss process though, I tossed it's thumb-hanging body into the conveniently placed moss container lol. I did the whole handling session inside a large bin so the pede couldn't have escaped. To be honest, it took a ton of thinking before even letting it on my hand, and I had pretty much expected to take a bite. But it was an amazing learning experience for me and I don't regret it one bit. (Or should I say bite) :D But thanks for the concern! I really appreciate it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Capt. 'Howling Mad' Murdock: 'That's only partial paralysis!'

This quote is perfect for what I've just read here (Lady chanda aside) :rofl:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Now, seriously :angelic:

I've rated your post 'Love' because I actually like your style, I think you are funny and, without even bothering to mention how much brutal that venom is (and btw, I can only speculate and backing the general consensus, since I was never tagged) let me give you a brother advice: consider your family, for a moment.

Ain't sure about how things work exactly in the U.S let alone in mighty 'Remember the Alamo!' Texas, but in the case of a real bite, you will probably end to the E. R.
You are 15, and there's nothing bad about being young... despite the detail that, your Mother, could end into deal with annoying issues if that happens.

I could be wrong and I hope that nothing crappy will happens, but think about that, a bit :)

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Now, seriously :angelic:

I've rated your post 'Love' because I actually like your style, I think you are funny and, without even bothering to mention how much brutal that venom is (and btw, I can only speculate and backing the general consensus, since I was never tagged) let me give you a brother advice: consider your family, for a moment.

Ain't sure about how things work exactly in the U.S let alone in mighty 'Remember the Alamo!' Texas, but in the case of a real bite, you will probably end to the E. R.
You are 15, and there's nothing bad about being young... despite the detail that, your Mother, could end into deal with annoying issues if that happens.

I could be wrong and I hope that nothing crappy will happens, but think about that, a bit :)
Oh yeah the ER thing is thrown out the window at this point. I’ve read so much crap on how they don’t do anything for bites and that it’s a waste of money. A few reports I’ve read even say that the pain killers they give do nothing. I’d rather deal with the pain than deal with some annoying nurse looking at me like an alien as I tell her, “look lady I’ve read like 10 AB bite reports and I’m not going to die. NO ITS NOT A RED HEADED OR TIGER CENTIPEDE!!! ITS A VIETNAMESE THINGY!!”. On top of that, there’s the risk of jeopardizing the pede hobby in Texas by showing that centipedes are a risk. If I did get envenomated,(by god please no.) it would probably involve me sitting in my room in the fetal position whining about how Coyote Peterson is a wimp. :banghead::embarrassed:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh yes I've read nearly every bite report for these guys on the site. I kinda simplified the moss process though, I tossed it's thumb-hanging body into the conveniently placed moss container lol. I did the whole handling session inside a large bin so the pede couldn't have escaped. To be honest, it took a ton of thinking before even letting it on my hand, and I had pretty much expected to take a bite. But it was an amazing learning experience for me and I don't regret it one bit. (Or should I say bite) :D But thanks for the concern! I really appreciate it.
As Will Rogers is reputed to have said, "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." :rolleyes:

You actually remind me of my younger son who has had to learn some difficult (and painful) lessons through personal experience, like when he was warned not to touch the wood-burning stove because it was very hot - so he promptly walked right up to it and put his hand on it (and got burned), or learned (I hope!) to watch for cars after getting his foot run over by one. (He said afterward that the cars were moving so slowly that he kind of forgot that the were actually moving - it was a "bear jam" at Yellowstone Park, where traffic comes to a near-standstill so everyone driving by can get a good look at the bear.) He is kind of a full-speed-ahead sort of kid, which has gotten him into trouble and/or hurt more than once!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh yeah the ER thing is thrown out the window at this point. I’ve read so much crap on how they don’t do anything for bites and that it’s a waste of money. A few reports I’ve read even say that the pain killers they give do nothing. I’d rather deal with the pain than deal with some annoying nurse looking at me like an alien as I tell her, “look lady I’ve read like 10 AB bite reports and I’m not going to die. NO ITS NOT A RED HEADED OR TIGER CENTIPEDE!!! ITS A VIETNAMESE THINGY!!”. On top of that, there’s the risk of jeopardizing the pede hobby in Texas by showing that centipedes are a risk. If I did get envenomated,(by god please no.) it would probably involve me sitting in my room in the fetal position whining about how Coyote Peterson is a wimp. :banghead::embarrassed:
Nobody here's going to say you have "balls the size of the sun" or crap like that, this isn't YouTube. That being said, I firmly believe even this species of centipede can be tamed, but they are a very high strung species.

One more thing to consider: I bet your parents would be pretty...uh, put out... if they found you whimpering in your room or in unbearable pain. My guess is the poor pede wouldn't make it out of this situation alive or, in the best case, they'd make you get rid of it.

I guess it all depends on how knowledgeable your parents are about pedes. If i was 15 again and got bit by a centipede, let alone a dehaani, my parents wouldn't question me nor give me a chance to explain... they'd take me to the ER regardless of what I "knew from online" and they'd be down that $300.. well, just my $0.02...

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Nobody here's going to say you have "balls the size of the sun" or crap like that, this isn't YouTube. That being said, I firmly believe even this species of centipede can be tamed, but they are a very high strung species.

One more thing to consider: I bet your parents would be pretty...uh, put out... if they found you whimpering in your room or in unbearable pain. My guess is the poor pede wouldn't make it out of this situation alive or, in the best case, they'd make you get rid of it.

I guess it all depends on how knowledgeable your parents are about pedes. If i was 15 again and got bit by a centipede, let alone a dehaani, my parents wouldn't question me nor give me a chance to explain... my $0.02...
I agree with your post so hard it’s not healthy. But my mom wasn’t too happy though. I explained to her before I bought it that if it were to bite me it’s going to probably make me cry and lay in the fetal position for a while. As soon as I mentioned the bite to her she yelled, “YOU RETARD!! I KNOW YOU WERE HOLDING THAT SON OF A”. I really want to work with this pede as it is laid back too. Was calm until that darn tree frog went spazz mode for no reason. :D

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's very easy to say "The ER thing is thrown out the window" now - when you are not in excruciating pain - and when you don't have a concerned mother breathing down your neck. I can tell you, though, that if something like that happend to one of my kids, I absolutely would rush them to the ER regardless of whether they said not to bother - and I'm the one who keeps pedes, spiders, scorpions, and other exotic pets, so I know that the venom isn't likely to be life-threatening. How much does your mom know about the toxicity of centipede venom? Has she seen the reports of the seven-year-old girl allegedly killed by a bite from a S. subspinipes? If so, she would undoubtedly be highly concerned if you got tagged and might override your wishes on the matter. When it comes to your kids' health and safety, you don't take chances. Aside from an expensive trip to the ER, your mom also might decide that allowing you to keep venomous pets is not such a good idea and make you get rid of them.

Heck, I remember my mom wanting to rush me to the hospital once after I got bit by a snake. (A garter snake - I had caught it to show my kids, but it wasn't in the mood for show-and-tell.) The dang thing grabbed on and didn't want to let go - and yes, there was a small amount of blood - and my mom just freaked out. It took me quite a while to calm her down and convince her that I knew exactly what it was, it was not venomous, and I had no need of medical attention.

Never underestimate that "mama bear" instinct! ;)

Lithobius

Arachnosquire
I guess it all depends on how knowledgeable your parents are about pedes. If i was 15 again and got bit by a centipede, let alone a dehaani, my parents wouldn't question me nor give me a chance to explain... they'd take me to the ER regardless of what I "knew from online" and they'd be down that $300.. well, just my $0.02...
My parents would have been 110% the same. Maybe worse since my mom is a nurse... she'd either drag me by the ear to the ER or laugh in my face for being an idiot when I "knew from the internet the painkillers wouldn't work," or maybe both, in that order.

Since I'm (technically?) a 'grownup' now with my own place, I can be as stupid as I want with my critters and still keep them and get another round at the reptile expo, but if I was still living under my parents' roof there's no way they'd let me keep it / get another one. The least I could expect as a punishment is she'd lock the cage with a key only she had access to and only open it to put a cricket in, while she watched. Just something to think about.

Also I put your other one as funny because haaaa yeah I'd be doing the same thing if I got a wet bite. "Haaaaa Coyote Peterson is a wimp this doesn't hurt at all Waaaaahahahahahah"

NYAN

Arachnoking
Wow, what a read! Be sure to clean the bite as the infection that could follow from not doing so is probably worse than what the bite would feel like.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You are right when you say that, at one point, the Doctors can't do that much. But still, I have reasons to believe that, if a bite will happens, you will probably end to the E. R.

Here in Italy something like that would be completely free, ok, but it's not a waste of money at all. You know why I'm saying this?

Because we (I'm saying 'we' and not 'you' only, now) at the end of the day doesn't know what, technically, can happens to us after a bite. We keep talking about those bite reports, but truth is that majority of us never was tagged/stung. This is a fact to consider.

I'm not saying that those bites reports available here (and not) aren't valid, or worst. It's the opposite. Still, aren't bites taken, first hand/first finger (literally) by us. Only those that ended bitten/stung can, in a legit way, speak about that experience. Their experience.

A detail that a lot of people tend to not consider, is that we aren't exactly 'equal'. We are different. We have a different age, height, weight, health in general. A lot of people (sadly) has even diseases/sorta of disease they aren't even aware to have, to begin with. Last but not least, we can receive different kind of bites.

Have you noticed how much variety there's in the Pterinochilus murinus 'OBT' bite reports? I'm sure you have read those. The only similarity was/is the pain, more or less, but some people ended experiencing completely different stuff. One bite, in particular (that required hospitalization) was pretty brutal.

You know why, therefore, isn't a waste of money ask for help? Not for what they can give to you for 'calm' down a little the pain (being cynical, to an extent, that's deserved) but for monitor you and your other vital functions, because no one knows what can happens and how our exact body can react. Our body, not others.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
You are right when you say that, at one point, the Doctors can't do that much. But still, I have reasons to believe that, if a bite will happens, you will probably end to the E. R.

Here in Italy something like that would be completely free, ok, but it's not a waste of money at all. You know why I'm saying this?

Because we (I'm saying 'we' and not 'you' only, now) at the end of the day doesn't know what, technically, can happens to us after a bite. We keep talking about those bite reports, but truth is that majority of us never was tagged/stung. This is a fact to consider.

I'm not saying that those bites reports available here (and not) aren't valid, or worst. It's the opposite. Still, aren't bites taken, first hand/first finger (literally) by us. Only those that ended bitten/stung can, in a legit way, speak about that experience. Their experience.

A detail that a lot of people tend to not consider, is that we aren't exactly 'equal'. We are different. We have a different age, height, weight, health in general. A lot of people (sadly) has even diseases/sorta of disease they aren't even aware to have, to begin with. Last but not least, we can receive different kind of bites.

Have you noticed how much variety there's in the Pterinochilus murinus 'OBT' bite reports? I'm sure you have read those. The only similarity was/is the pain, more or less, but some people ended experiencing completely different stuff. One bite, in particular (that required hospitalization) was pretty brutal.

You know why, therefore, isn't a waste of money ask for help? Not for what they can give to you for 'calm' down a little the pain (being cynical, to an extent, that's deserved) but for monitor you and your other vital functions, because no one knows what can happens and how our exact body can react. Our body, not others.
Totally agree.
Wow, what a read! Be sure to clean the bite as the infection that could follow from not doing so is probably worse than what the bite would feel like.
Did it after my mom called me an idiot. Burned more than the bite! :)
My parents would have been 110% the same. Maybe worse since my mom is a nurse... she'd either drag me by the ear to the ER or laugh in my face for being an idiot when I "knew from the internet the painkillers wouldn't work," or maybe both, in that order.

Since I'm (technically?) a 'grownup' now with my own place, I can be as stupid as I want with my critters and still keep them and get another round at the reptile expo, but if I was still living under my parents' roof there's no way they'd let me keep it / get another one. The least I could expect as a punishment is she'd lock the cage with a key only she had access to and only open it to put a cricket in, while she watched. Just something to think about.

Also I put your other one as funny because haaaa yeah I'd be doing the same thing if I got a wet bite. "Haaaaa Coyote Peterson is a wimp this doesn't hurt at all Waaaaahahahahahah"
Hahah. Coyote Peterson is a total wimp, but I say that without a bite. I live in Texas if you get what I’m saying! Might give my local hero’s native area a search.
It's very easy to say "The ER thing is thrown out the window" now - when you are not in excruciating pain - and when you don't have a concerned mother breathing down your neck. I can tell you, though, that if something like that happend to one of my kids, I absolutely would rush them to the ER regardless of whether they said not to bother - and I'm the one who keeps pedes, spiders, scorpions, and other exotic pets, so I know that the venom isn't likely to be life-threatening. How much does your mom know about the toxicity of centipede venom? Has she seen the reports of the seven-year-old girl allegedly killed by a bite from a S. subspinipes? If so, she would undoubtedly be highly concerned if you got tagged and might override your wishes on the matter. When it comes to your kids' health and safety, you don't take chances. Aside from an expensive trip to the ER, your mom also might decide that allowing you to keep venomous pets is not such a good idea and make you get rid of them.

Heck, I remember my mom wanting to rush me to the hospital once after I got bit by a snake. (A garter snake - I had caught it to show my kids, but it wasn't in the mood for show-and-tell.) The dang thing grabbed on and didn't want to let go - and yes, there was a small amount of blood - and my mom just freaked out. It took me quite a while to calm her down and convince her that I knew exactly what it was, it was not venomous, and I had no need of medical attention.

Never underestimate that "mama bear" instinct! ;)
Totally agree. This is still the same lady that called my broken wrist me being a wimp lol. By god I seriously hope there isn’t another bite anyways!

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I was just thinking the same thing about the frog

EDIT: I think Mr frog might be planning your death man, Mafia style

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I'm curious about where he frog fits into this too, were they on your hand at the same time? That could end very badly for Mr frog
Nope. He was in his enclosure but due to him freaking out spontaneously the pede bit me. Sounds crazy but that’s exactly what happened.