S. calceatum aka Feather leg baboon

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
What's your experience with these? Of course in general they are considered defensive and fast, but each T has their own personality.. Rosies are supposed to be pretty docile in general but once in a while you hear of one that is crazy.

Also, any of you ever dared handling yours? I'm not a big fan of handling T's unless it's needed or a special occasion (for their sake) but that's one T I'll never be putting my hand near, unless I absolutely HAD to.. Rehousing them should be fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They are a great Theraphosidae, full of attitude. To consider those defensive and fast IMO is an error. They are extremely defensives and extremely fast (able to perform nice jumps if they want, no jokes).

In Italy we consider those the final point of the arboreal T's keeping. Overall quite easy to care, IMO hardy, a lovely challenge even for those with years (and years) of experience under his/her belt.

'Pokies', for instance (no matter the venom potency, the only thing they have) are weak sissy boy compared with S.calceatum.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As far as handling is concerned, Lady, well, we are living in a so stupid world where someone will even handle a not so well sealed jar of Ebola virus therefore you can bet on that. Just check how much fools in YT only handle those :-s

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
They are a great Theraphosidae, full of attitude. To consider those defensive and fast IMO is an error. They are extremely defensives and extremely fast (able to perform nice jumps if they want, no jokes).

In Italy we consider those the final point of the arboreal T's keeping. Overall quite easy to care, IMO hardy, a lovely challenge even for those with years (and years) of experience under his/her belt.

'Pokies', for instance (no matter the venom potency, the only thing they have) are weak sissy boy compared with S.calceatum.
I love their attitude. Angry little buggers who dislike people, just like their owner, haha.. I've seen videos of them literally bolt from one place to another and read some amazing stories of them jumping on people from their tanks! Crazy!

Final point? Well... At least I've been a T owner for a few months. Advising beginners to stay away from them is probably a good idea though. The only reason I went through with it was because 1) It was a great deal, and 2) I trust myself completely and consider myself responsible enough to be able to handle what may come up. Otherwise I would have waited.

I also have a few pokies, 5 regalis and 2 ornatas. They are my beauties! Funny how all of my regalis seem way more aggressive than both of my ornatas, altough I had read it would be the opposite.

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
As far as handling is concerned, Lady, well, we are living in a so stupid world where someone will even handle a not so well sealed jar of Ebola virus therefore you can bet on that. Just check how much fools in YT only handle those :-s
Yup. Some people only care about themselves and what they want. IMO T's should only be handled when they really need to be and maybe on special occasions like when you have the queen for a visit and she wants to hold it. Otherwise just leave it be, especially if it's so venomous it may put you in bed for a week :p

But some people climb buildings and jump between them and such (parkour) in extremely high places with hundreds of meters down on the pavement.. I'd rather kiss a feather leg baboon than do any of that >edit<!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
But some people climb buildings and jump between them and such (parkour) in extremely high places with hundreds of meters down on the pavement.. I'd rather kiss a feather leg baboon than do any of that shit!
Yeah, but even to experienced Mans tragedy is always behind the corner. RIP

matypants

Arachnopeon
I' m sure it is how they survive in nature. The animal kingdom must be aware that to even approach S. calceatum is to risk an extremely painful bit regardless of the circumstance.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I' m sure it is how they survive in nature. The animal kingdom must be aware that to even approach S. calceatum is to risk an extremely painful bit regardless of the circumstance.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that certain (and quite badass) apex predators, in Africa, doesn't share the same point of tree lightly with S.calceatum :) this leads me to the conclusion that, no matter, animals are by far wise than S.calceatum handlers lol

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
IMO T's should only be handled when they really need to be

There is no justification for ever holding any tarantula. People keep OW's for decades without holding one. To hold an OW tarantula is irresponsible, and holding a calceatum is just insane.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
From what I've seen and read, S. calceatum is one of the few tarantula species that transcends the "defensive" label and saunters right on into "aggressive" territory. Yes, they are only responding to a disturbance generally, so I guess technically you could still call it "defensive", but they will go after your ass and keep coming whereas most Ts will stay where they are and wait until you leave their space. IIRC there are plenty of reports of S. calceatum chasing after intruders and delivering multiple bites.

Intentionally handling one would be quite stupid.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I personally think it's somewhat exaggerated. I have quite a few friends that keep them (I have two juvies), and they don't think they're any worse than other very defensive OW's.

I honestly think a lot of people enjoy exaggerating. So it makes it seem as if they were in a tighter spot than they actually were.

No different to how black mambas have a terrible reputation that they'll chase you round a room. When in reality, they aren't too bad, and something like that is a rarity not the norm.

Watch any S.cal video on YouTube, nothing remarkable in their behaviour compared to other very defensive OW's.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
There is no justification for ever holding any tarantula. People keep OW's for decades without holding one. To hold an OW tarantula is irresponsible, and holding a calceatum is just insane.
what if it bolts during rehouse?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I personally think it's somewhat exaggerated. I have quite a few friends that keep them (I have two juvies), and they don't think they're any worse than other very defensive OW's.

I honestly think a lot of people enjoy exaggerating. So it makes it seem as if they were in a tighter spot than they actually were.

No different to how black mambas have a terrible reputation that they'll chase you round a room. When in reality, they aren't too bad, and something like that is a rarity not the norm.

Watch any S.cal video on YouTube, nothing remarkable in their behaviour compared to other very defensive OW's.
Bollocks. S.calceatum is a flying badass high strung Theraphosidae, you can't compare those with the average Ceratogyrus or E.pachypus, not even a P.murinus.

I don't like to exagerate nor overestimate things/facts, but neither underestimate. Threat those with respect (well, every T's, animal) no handling, a wise mentality, and nothing bad will happens. But it's when you have to re-house/cage upgrade/or to pack those for a sale/invertsonal/whatever that you (can) realize how badass they can be.

As I've said, the Italian Arachnid community view those as an arboreal T's final point, and I honestly agree with that.

With that said, Matabuey my man, if you are used to fast as light deadly snakes, well, Christ, I understand your point but still S.calceatum can into space lol :)

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Bollocks. S.calceatum is a flying badass high strung Theraphosidae, you can't compare those with the average Ceratogyrus or E.pachypus, not even a P.murinus.

I don't like to exagerate nor overestimate things/facts, but neither underestimate. Threat those with respect (well, every T's, animal) no handling, a wise mentality, and nothing bad will happens. But it's when you have to re-house/cage upgrade/or to pack those for a sale/invertsonal/whatever that you (can) realize how badass they can be.

As I've said, the Italian Arachnid community view those as an arboreal T's final point, and I honestly agree with that.

With that said, Matabuey my man, if you are used to fast as light deadly snakes, well, Christ, I understand your point but still S.calceatum can into space lol :)
Where did I say compare it to any of those species you mentioned?

My point is just they're not as bad as some people have you to believe. There are other OW's that are just as defensive and fast, like Cyriopagopus sp hati hati.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Where did I say compare it to any of those species you mentioned?

My point is just they're not as bad as some people have you to believe. There are other OW's that are just as defensive and fast, like Cyriopagopus sp hati hati.
S.calceatum is more high strung than those Asian T's. Not even a 0.1 L.nigerrimum is like a S.calceatum. We are talking about the most badass arboreal Theraphosidae ever.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
S.calceatum is more high strung than those Asian T's. Not even a 0.1 L.nigerrimum is like a S.calceatum. We are talking about the most badass arboreal Theraphosidae ever.
Actually one time I dressed a cat up as a tarantula and she climbed a tree and clawed at people. Far more dangerous than a calceatum, as she severely injured me as she clawed and kicked at my face when I tried to bring her down.