S. calceatum aka Feather leg baboon

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Chris LXXIX
I was just surprised at how often the Italy ban ended up in those types of posts (bites/escapes) when the cause of the ban (imports) had very little to do with the topic (other than sometimes governments can make dumb laws when they are poorly informed).
Ah ah, you know, it's absurd Trenor. Seriously I think I got what happened for real in that joke comment of before.

I mean, I can't help myself: they spotted those at the airport. Ok. But if the shipment was with full right papers etc why decide for a ban?

But if that was a no paper brown boxing shipment (which I don't think because no one was busted on the Italian side, but let's say) again, why put a ban for something that was legal no matter? Would had been reasonable to freeze the importing man/guys and took that only o_O

I'm saying this because prior to the ban, breeder/keepers had shops and sold those, in pure light of the day. I bought my first T's in '92, as a teen, in one of those shops. T's were everywhere for display, and you can't sold in an official legal shop illegal things/stuff, shops are controlled as we know, inspected etc and huge parcels, imported (mostly by Germany) arrived on a regular basis (I've saw those one day, the shopkeeper opened that in front of me... the first time I saw a huge 0.1 P.cambridgei and was impressed :embarrassed:) so really my guess is:
first was a meh in pure Italian style, after (politicians/governments changes etc) only for that they freaked out and ruined everything.

Your opinion? (aside Italy absurdity of course) :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
my comment about YouTube videos is just to show that they aren't as insane as everyone says. I'm not using it to judge their disposition. However, there are tons of videos of OBT's biting and threat posing, but a lack of calceatum doing the same, even during rehousings - go figure.

But I did also say I know people who keep them, and say they aren't worse than some other highly strung OW's they have, like Cyriopagopus sp.

From comments on AB, you'd think these spiders are complete nutcases 24/7. But that isn't the case - obviously you should still treat them like that though, but that goes for any OW.

The difference between the OW arboreals is that Poecs usually prefer to remain motionless and blend in with their surroundings. Cyriopagopus/Lampropelma are more high strung and tend to run and hide (sometimes very quickly), but will fight when cornered. What makes Stromatopelma different is the unpredictability factor. They usually prefer to hide. That's where people think 'Ah, they're no big deal.' But when something triggers their defensive instinct, they can be worse than any of the others. Doesn't happen often. They are notorious for biting fruit pickers who climb palms and trees, sometimes with multiple bites. Those guys jump/fall to the ground to get away from them. Anyone who jumps 30 feet to the ground to get away, is dealing with a serious spider. I'm always very careful working with my Stromatopelma, I don't want to be complacent & caught off guard if one day they happen to go ballistic.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Ah ah, you know, it's absurd Trenor. Seriously I think I got what happened for real in that joke comment of before.

I mean, I can't help myself: they spotted those at the airport. Ok. But if the shipment was with full right papers etc why decide for a ban?

But if that was a no paper brown boxing shipment (which I don't think because no one was busted on the Italian side, but let's say) again, why put a ban for something that was legal no matter? Would had been reasonable to freeze the importing man/guys and took that only o_O

I'm saying this because prior to the ban, breeder/keepers had shops and sold those, in pure light of the day. I bought my first T's in '92, as a teen, in one of those shops. T's were everywhere for display, and you can't sold in an official legal shop illegal things/stuff, shops are controlled as we know, inspected etc and huge parcels, imported (mostly by Germany) arrived on a regular basis (I've saw those one day, the shopkeeper opened that in front of me... the first time I saw a huge 0.1 P.cambridgei and was impressed :embarrassed:) so really my guess is:
first was a meh in pure Italian style, after (politicians/governments changes etc) only for that they freaked out and ruined everything.

Your opinion? (aside Italy absurdity of course) :)
I can see what your saying and only know just the little I have heard on this thread. If I were guessing what happened based on that.

I'd say that the country wide ban was easier to enact and enforce than a shipping/trade agreement ban/regulation was. One can ban things in one's on country pretty easily but when talking about shipping/trade agreements those contracts often have to be renegotiated whenever changes need to be made. Usually in shipping/trade agreements there are specific things that are banned and then a blanket ban like "anything that is illegal in our country". This prevents specific things from coming into the country and is a catch all for preventing things later deemed illegal from getting past the trade agreement. So to the leaders, to prevent this from happening again it was easier to make tarantulas illegal in the country. Rather than rework all the trade agreements to regulate how tarantulas are shipped, for all the countries that tarantulas could be shipped from.

So in taking the easy way out and most likely not know the difference between one tarantula or another in terms of danger. You end up with a country wide ban that often times makes little sense.

Again, this is just a guess based on what little (which is very little) I know of the Italy ban.

Last edited:

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately that's 99% of the public. They have the power, they 'let' us keep exotic animals. If we can do that responsibly, they focus their attention elsewhere. If we do stupid things with our animals, we'll get negative press and the public will demand action from their politicians. They can easily steamroller over us and ban our animals. I'm amazed how many animal people are oblivious to this. Act irresponsibly and at some point there will be a price to pay. We live in an age of big government, with a constant erosion of liberties, and way too many lawyers. Bad combination. This is not the time to act like idiots.
99% of the public? Care to show any statistics relating to that?

My house is currently for sale, and out of the 25 people that have viewed the property in the past 4 weeks, only two were 'horrified' by my animals.

The rest were actually intrigued to see my snakes and such, asking me to take them into my venomous room.

Most people I speak to are actually interested in why I keep them, and want to learn more.

Haha, a couple of years back Luke Yeomans was bitten and killed by a king cobra in the U.K. - he was an avid free handler. There were images all over the news of him free handling too.

No one cried to the politicians, the local council are still issuing venomous licenses. If he dies from his own animal, that's his problem, not the publics.

The reason there have been bans on certain breeds of dog, is because they were involved in "attacks" on the public.

The only time something would happen, is if the public were bitten by someone's tarantula, etc (at least in the UK anyway). No one cares whether you're bitten handling your own spider in your house. That's your own risk.

In America you have a lot of stupid people that can't contain their animals. That's the problem. Like people having cobras escape from their house, etc. Nothing to do with how they handle their animals.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
a couple of years back Luke Yeomans was bitten and killed by a king cobra in the U.K. - he was an avid free handler. There were images all over the news of him free handling too. No one cried to the politicians, the local council are still issuing venomous licenses. If he dies from his own animal, that's his problem, not the publics.

That's the UK. Things don't work that way in the US. Some states/cities have banned all snakes that can reach 10' long, like California, which also banned venomous snakes a couple decades ago. Florida greatly restricted venomous snake ownership (by requiring 1,000 of training before a permit can be issued), and is currently considering a total ban. In the US you have a panicky public, grandstanding politicians, and anti-exotic animal groups looking to exploit any opportunity. We behave or it's taken away. Our per capita ratio of idiots is pretty high, so there's always someone wanting to ruin it for everyone else.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
That's the UK. Things don't work that way in the US. Some states/cities have banned all snakes that can reach 10' long, like California, which also banned venomous snakes a couple decades ago. Florida greatly restricted venomous snake ownership (by requiring 1,000 of training before a permit can be issued), and is currently considering a total ban. In the US you have a panicky public, grandstanding politicians, and anti-exotic animal groups looking to exploit any opportunity. We behave or it's taken away. Our per capita ratio of idiots is pretty high, so there's always someone wanting to ruin it for everyone else.
in GA all pythons except for balls are illegal to transfer and purchase aside from reptile shows. That's one of the lesser parts of the reptile bans.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I can see what your saying and only know just the little I have heard on this thread. If I were guessing what happened based on that.

I'd say that the country wide ban was easier to enact and enforce than a shipping/trade agreement ban/regulation was. One can ban things in one's on country pretty easily but when talking about shipping/trade agreements those contracts often have to be renegotiated whenever changes need to be made. Usually in shipping/trade agreements there are specific things that are banned and then a blanket ban like "anything that is illegal in our country". This prevents specific things from coming into the country and is a catch all for preventing things later deemed illegal from getting past the trade agreement. So to the leaders, to prevent this from happening again it was easier to make tarantulas illegal in the country. Rather than rework all the trade agreements to regulate how tarantulas are shipped, for all the countries that tarantulas could be shipped from.

So in taking the easy way out and most likely not know the difference between one tarantula or another in terms of danger. You end up with a country wide ban that often times makes little sense.

Again, this is just a guess based on what little (which is very little) I know of the Italy ban.
You know Trenor you have a valid good point. I've never tought that much about your theory, but considering everything could been, still trust me when I say that they (Italy system) were full aware that people/shops sold/trade T's since forever, therefore my man, such an heavy hit under the belt that was :-(
Hypocrites lazy dastards to say the least but oh well we have gained T's again :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Got to love the American governments logic - ban exotics, but let people have firearms.:wacky:
That's one of the few Noble Rights that Americans risk to lose. The issue IMO isn't a US honest "work all day for bring the F-Word bread in the table" Father with a gun defending his family, wife, property.

The issue are guns (and weapons) in the hands of mafioso's/MS 13/crack meth addicted/fanatics/ "Oh I love the thug gangsta lifestyle" scum that bring chaos and other weirdos like those.

Wish to have here that right. A right that Americans risk to lose, and probably someone deserves that u_u

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Got to love the American governments logic - ban exotics, but let people have firearms.:wacky:

Ha! It was your shoddy treatment of American colonists that lead to our Constitution guaranteeing us the right to own firearms. Besides what would you rather have to protect your home and family with: a handgun or tossing some crabby OW tarantulas at someone who kicked in your front door?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ha! It was your shoddy treatment of American colonists that lead to our Constitution guaranteeing us the right to own firearms. Besides what would you rather have to protect your home and family with: a handgun or tossing some crabby OW tarantulas at someone who kicked in your front door?
def the crabby OW tarantula.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Generally, people don't break into homes with guns in England.

Of course you'd want a gun in America, as every Tom, Dick and Harry is armed.

There's a good reason why Americans get shot left right and centre, compared to here.

Something like 0.1 gun related deaths per 100,000 in the U.K, compared with 3.2 per 100,000 in the US.

Last edited:

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Yea instead all you hooligans use wadded up newspapers and bash each other to bloody bits.. You guys across the pond are much more civilized..;-)
My friends house was actually broken into, by a guy wielding a toy gun haha.