S.bipunctata - cute little sac

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I already have some slings from this girl. That sac exsisted without my knowledge ...they are tiny sacs indeed ...and it was probably hidden a bit.
This sac I noticed. I hope to catch the eggs hatching, but chances of that happening... well, it is a hit and miss sort of thing.

BTW... I am IDing this girl as S. bipunctata, but would appreciate any help with confirming that position. I have found a lot of mis-match when it comes to photos available online of bipunctata and borealis ...there seems to be a lot of image exchange going on between the two species. :rolleyes: Help me out here ...I hate not knowing what I have. ;)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Combining a few threads here... so if I seem schizophrenic its because I am. :}

Well, my girl has expired ...but she has left me her legacy. Hopefully enough "blood" to keep this species going.

A couple of her earlier slings...

Again...throwing out my desire for more species of Steatoda (and Theridiidae in general). I just may have some interesing slings to trade for something common from your backyard :) ...like S.borealis for example.

_________

Bite me ...come on! bite me damnit! :rolleyes: :p

_________

They hatched. Tiny little things. :wacko: :)

_________

Well now I cant seem to see any of the slings. I dont think they escaped ...the airholes are tiny, but so are the slings. They may just be hidden or they already died and dried up and I cant see them (slings are the width of a human hair). If it ends up being a dud attempt I will be close to loosing this line. I have a feeling that having mommy around feeding allows the slings to feed also. The first brood grew up without any attempts on my part to feed the slings. I let mommy hunt down and kill all the needed food for the family ..and it worked.

Hope lies with one female out of all the slings from the first sac ...glad I got the one female, but it would have been nice to have a few instead of all these males. If anyone here has access to S.bipunctata, Id throw some latros (laos or whatever) your way for a couple pretty girls.

Thought I could get away with shooting these lovers thru the clear plastic container, but now I am kicking myself for not throwing together a glass box with an open face for this shoot. But anyway... though the pics suck, check out the palp stretch that this guy can achieve!