Runt Of The Egg Sac

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anyone ever have a spiderling that never seems to grow? I bought a half dozen from a big dealer about 8 months ago and one just is not growing much at all. It is an A. minatrix if that makes any difference. Just looking for opinions or other similar experiences.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I bought an Avicularia purpurea when I bought my Avicularia metallica and Avicularia versicolor, and granted it was smaller than they were when it arrived, it hasn't grown much at all. It's still about the size of a US nickle in legspan, while they're almost a 50 cent piece in leg span or more.

I attribute most of it to being a terribly finicky eater. It REFUSES to eat roaches or crickets in any form. It will eat small moths or flies, but as you can imagine those aren't readily available in winter. But here lately its even been refusing those, maybe a pre-molt, I dunno.

All it does is stay huddled up in its tube web acting unhappy, unlike my other Avic's that sit waiting for food in the opening of their webs. =/

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A couple years ago I bought 7 B vagans, and the breeder threw in one for free. The free one was miniscule compaired to the others. It was the "runt". I had it for a year, and it never grew over 1/4" while the others got up to about an inch and a half.

I ended up selling it to another person who had it until last year, when it died. All in all, it never grew more than 1 1/2". The others from the sac grew normally.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My two Lasiodora parahybana slings have been outpaced by an A. hentzi sling.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Phormictopus cancerides 'purple' although just coming up to one, hasnt molted in nearly a year... its about 2inch or so still, lmao

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Ive had a B. emilia for 3 yrs and its been about .75" the entire time. It sheds, but never grows.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have, of all things, a t. apophysis that just doesn't seem to grow. it took the little monster over 3 months to get from 2nd to 3rd instar! and that with regular/good feeding... the one a friend got from the same sac has molted something like every 4 weeks...

JCola

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has anyone tried tracking which are males and which are females? a friend and i bought several slings together over a year ago and while mine are getting huge, his really aren't. and if i've molt-sexed them correctly, i've got the boys and my bet is that he ended up with the girls.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have an A. chalcodes sling that does not seem to grow, it doesn't eat much, but it does moult, and it is half the size of the other one that I got that is from the same eggsack. I don't know. I thought at first it would die, but it is hanging in there. I guess there could be T runts, there are in other animals.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is what I was thinking. I'm sure in the wild it would have made a tasty snack for somebody by now. :eek:

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is what I was thinking. I'm sure in the wild it would have made a tasty snack for somebody by now. :eek:
yep ive seen that too with a vitalius roseus sling, but anyways man, you do realize A. minatrix is quite a smaller specimen than an avic. avic. for instance?