Run down on enclosures!

Newtot

Arachnosquire
What do yall use for different types of ts? Obligate burrowers? What is best for critter keeper style enclosures? I want nice looking enclosures without spending ridiculous amounts. Currently im using Tupperware type stuff which works but i want more pleasing to the eye type enclosures. Thanks

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
I use shoe storage boxes for my terrestrials that are at my local diaso, they're clear and work well, just melt some holes of the sides and you're good to go. One down side is that the lid doesn't have a locking mechanism, making it really loose, but I just put my sling enclosures on top. 20210113_180130.jpg

Coradams

Arachnoknight
I like using basket ball display cases from hobby lobby. <edit> I can put holes where ever I want. I like to put holes across the top front and back, just above the substrate at the sides, and on the top and down all four beveled edges. That way there is cross ventilation from all angles. tarantula enclosure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What do yall use for different types of ts? Obligate burrowers? What is best for critter keeper style enclosures? I want nice looking enclosures without spending ridiculous amounts. Currently im using Tupperware type stuff which works but i want more pleasing to the eye type enclosures. Thanks
I use whatever works

Nice looking = $$ or $$$

TarantulaMel

Arachnopeon
I use shoe storage boxes for my terrestrials that are at my local diaso, they're clear and work well, just melt some holes of the sides and you're good to go. One down side is that the lid doesn't have a locking mechanism, making it really loose, but I just put my sling enclosures on top. View attachment 372094
Daiso and Hobby Lobby is my go to places for inexpensive enclosures.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I used to use sterilize containers for my obligate burrowers bit could never see them as they are a smokey plastic rather than crystal clear so I switched to kritter keepers and have been loving it. They are cheap and come in a variety of sizes. In picture I have the nano for sling, a large and extra large(blue lid). I see my tarantulas very well now when they come out of burrows.

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Just depends on what kind of burrower you have. Some of them dig straight down (e.g. C. darlingi), and some make long horizontal burrows (e.g. M. robustum).

For the ones that dig straight down, I use those plastic tea jugs you see at picnics and whatnot. Walmart sells them for like $10, and it only takes a little bit of modification to make the lids lock and add ventilation. For the horizontal burrowers, plastic file boxes work great, although I admit they're a bit large. Burrowers tend to use the room, though!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I just ordered 10 exoterra nano tall, but this is the first time ever using a nice tank, I normally use clear deli cups or clear plastic containers that I find on sale.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I just ordered 10 exoterra nano tall, but this is the first time ever using a nice tank, I normally use clear deli cups or clear plastic containers that I find on sale.
The problem with exo terras is that the design means you cannot provide a deep substrate. They are fine for arboreals but not much else. And then the mesh lids need to be modified to avoid the issue of trapped legs

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I almost exclusively have exos and can keep pretty much any species in them. You can make a slope to the back wall so that you have between 4 and 8 inch substrate in a 12 cube for example.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Well I guess it depends on how many tarantulas you have verses how many out of those you want to put in a nice display enclosure.

If you don't want to bother with DIY enclosures and you only have a few T's then Jamie's and Tarantula Cribs have some very nice ones but expensive.

I have one of Jamie's 7x7x11 for my C. versicolor and it's nice. Well it was at first but the inside has poop everywhere.

I use mostly Kritter Keepers which are cheap, secure lid and good side visibility except for top down view for my terrestrials.

I like Kritter Keepers because I use the little top door for refilling water dish and feeding as it doesn't disturb my T's as much. My T. vagans always positions himself right under the trap door when I open it as he expects food incoming, he's a porker.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
The problem with exo terras is that the design means you cannot provide a deep substrate. They are fine for arboreals but not much else. And then the mesh lids need to be modified to avoid the issue of trapped legs
These will be for arboreals. Sorry I skipped the prt the OP was asking for fossorial.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
The cheapest acrylic enclosures I know of are the zilla microhabitats. I think I picked mine up for 30 bucks or so. Crystal clear

basin79

ArachnoGod
Usually RUBS, tubs and containers. Cheap, lids have clips and come in a wide range of sizes.

For adult arboreals I do like the glass exo terras though. Once the mesh has been hidden/removed they're great as they give you 2 options to enter the enclosure. Handy for arboreals at times.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I mostly buy glass terrariums and just swap out the lids. I use Exos for my arboreals and my sling boxes from the Bug Cage. I rescued a couple Ts that came in Tarantula Cribs and those are nice boxes as well

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
I have been experimenting with these enclosures for my arboreals. I drill a row of holes on the bottom portion and the top portion. They come in different heights. They're airtight lockable containers. I got the idea from Dave's Little Beasties.

Attachments

poopiebuttocks

Arachnopeon
I use shoe storage boxes for my terrestrials that are at my local diaso, they're clear and work well, just melt some holes of the sides and you're good to go. One down side is that the lid doesn't have a locking mechanism, making it really loose, but I just put my sling enclosures on top. View attachment 372094
What substrate mixture do you have in there?? It looks so great for burrowing!