Rubber cement?

Yulian

Arachnopeon
Well I ordered some 10in feeding tweezers online for dirt cheap ($1.89each) and was wondering if I could use rubber cement to cover up the tips to avoid injuries if the T would ever bite the tweezers(not that i plan to tongue feed anyhow) i dont know much about the substance other than its made of latex and some other stuff but I have read that its fairly toxic when in liquid state so im unsure. Is it safe? If not what can I use? Thanks!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Never used it, but I'd stay away from any glues other than hot glue.

Look into Plastidip. They sell it as a spray or in a can - get the stuff in the can. Two coats should work just fine, just be sure to allow plenty of time to dry between coats. I know Home Depot usually stocks it.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Never used it, but I'd stay away from any glues other than hot glue.

Look into Plastidip. They sell it as a spray or in a can - get the stuff in the can. Two coats should work just fine, just be sure to allow plenty of time to dry between coats. I know Home Depot usually stocks it.
Thats a good idea, i actually always used hot glue haha. I coat it thick and immediatly dip in cold water before it can drip or run

Yulian

Arachnopeon
cant find ones with rubber tips already on them?
Yea I can. Its just those were so cheap that I just ordered those because I dont really plan to tongue feed and just thought I could have used any regular rubber dip later on if need be. I guess I'll just have to find that plasti dip when I go to home depot lol thanks :)

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Well I ordered some 10in feeding tweezers online for dirt cheap ($1.89each) and was wondering if I could use rubber cement to cover up the tips to avoid injuries if the T would ever bite the tweezers(not that i plan to tongue feed anyhow) i dont know much about the substance other than its made of latex and some other stuff but I have read that its fairly toxic when in liquid state so im unsure. Is it safe? If not what can I use? Thanks!
Here are some cheap, easy, non toxic ways to cover the tips of tweezers.

- Take your tweezers to the plastic tubing isle of the hardware store and find the size that will fit snuggly on the ends. Tweezers have that taper at the ends so the tubing will have some wiggle room but see if it will suit your needs. You can also try to look for other types of tubing or rubber coverings that might conform to the shape of an object. I'm not sure if such a thing actually exists though. What has worked for me was to just use straight plastic tubing and leave the ends of the tweezers bare.

- Wrap the ends up to the middle of the tweezers with electrical tape or duct tape enough to where it is padded. Cheap and easy, but the tape will be a pain to replace or clean when it gets dirty. If you do this, make sure you wrap it well so there isn't any stickiness. You can try masking tape or painter's tape as well. This is what some naturalists do to the butt end of a pair of long tweezers to pin large insects or arachnids to the ground safely in order to collect.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Piggybacking on AphonopelmaTX's suggestion, latex tubing of 1/16" or 1/32" ID may work well. Has a lot of stretch to it, fairly cheap.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Electrical shrink tube, available in electrical section of DIY centers, cheap. Cut to length, place on tips and and apply heat. You can also apply multiple layers if you want to.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Cheapest way is air line tubing used with aquarium air pumps it's about $1 per foot.
a foot will cover a lot of tips