Rotten wood

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Everyone always talks about using rotten oak and oak leaves for thier millipedes. what about hickory? i have tons of hickory leaves and a rotten hickory tree that i found some N americanus in .... would that not be good for the AGB and other millis too?

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have had great success with millipedes, isopods and roach species in the past using a mixture of coco bedding, rotten wood and oak leaves... They THRIVE on it. A deep substrate with a thick layer on leaf litter on top... heaven!

I could be mistaken but I believe almost any HARDWOOD leave will work just fine... Good luck!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have had great success with millipedes, isopods and roach species in the past using a mixture of coco bedding, rotten wood and oak leaves... They THRIVE on it. A deep substrate with a thick layer on leaf litter on top... heaven!

I could be mistaken but I believe almost any HARDWOOD leave will work just fine... Good luck!
i was just guessing since the N. americanus i found were burrowed into a rotten hickory stump that it shoud be ok for any species of millipede?

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't see why not... Try it... I don't think you'll have any problems... You can tell a difference in colonies when you use rotten wood & leaves instead of just coco bedding...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
right now they are on peat and oak leaves ....i am trying to figgure out how to eliminate the termites and fire ants from the wood lol maybe put it in a pot and boil the ants out of it lol

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm experimenting with rotten apple wood, My neighbor cut his down and the core was rotted.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would think as with most animals, millis should benefit from variety in thier diet; even by the variation of this one component, especially given their longevity.

Spydrhunter has it right I believe. New foods should be tried slowly at first, although I imagine most hardwood should be safe.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My millipedes don't even touch any of the dog food in their cage. I think they're living soley on wood and leaves.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Millipedes and Wood:

There is an EXCELLENT millipede book called "Giant Millipedes" published by Orin McMonigle aka 'Elytra and Antenna'. Very inexpensive and full of information that answers all of these questions.