Rosie spread flat

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My rosie is laying spread out flat and every once and a while it bobs its cephelothorax up and down really fast and then sit still again. I've seen her spread out like this couple times over the last couple weeks but never seen the bobbing routine and this is the first time she hasn't scrunched up when I got close enough to take a pic. Anybody ever see their T do this before?? This pic is the best I could get.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The closest experience I can share with you is that right now is that my Rosie is stretching out her appendages, including her pedipalps, as much as she can, as often as she can. Her rump is getting very big plus it's darkening up. She's still eating but not as much as she usually does. Honestly, I think she's preparing to molt.

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive seen my rosea all spread out like that before.... but not seen the bobbing up and down thing...... wonder why they do this?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
rosea as Pokie...

Yes,
my breeding male does the same thing...
i noticed it right after his first adult molt...

just all pokie-like... flat on the ground...

i know there's much bobbing in some species during the mating ritual, but i don't know.. maybe he's doing Tarantula Push Ups -- getting all self-conscious after seeing one of Joy's fattie's on the cover of Tarantula Weekly or something..

man, beer + arachnopets forum + stupid funny thought in your head, but ends up being just horribly STUPID when typed out = not a good idea, huh?

peace,
dave :)

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I threw a cricket in and she reared up into a threat posture at it. Once it hightailed it to the other end of the enclosure she stretched back out again. Whatever she's doing she doesn't want to be bothered.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
then take the cricket out..

maybe it's T-yoga? :)

give it a couple of days -- you know rosea's -- they can go for some time without eating and they're ok..

let me know though!
peace,
dave

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
The closest experience I can share with you is that right now is that my Rosie is stretching out her appendages, including her pedipalps, as much as she can, as often as she can. Her rump is getting very big plus it's darkening up. She's still eating but not as much as she usually does. Honestly, I think she's preparing to molt.
You sure she isn't just doing the Funky Freak?

smithikeeper

Arachnopeon
I've noticed that alot of my Tarantulas do this right after they moult. I've also seen alot of them do this up to two weeks or so. They must be trying to get full size potential when they do this after, or it's some resting technique. I haven't noticed any doing it before a moult, but it's probably trying to loosen it's self up to moult.

Roy

this picture was taken three days after her moult

Attachments

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard about the stretching out after a molt but this T hasn't molted in my care yet. I wish she would molt and it would be great if she was in pre-molt but she just ate about 4 days ago. I just threw the cricket in to see if she was kind of stretching out to feel for prey vibrations. I'll just keep my eye on her.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
My Rosie is acting nutty too.
She has removed ALL of the substrate from her hide, it's clean.
It almost looks swept:?
And she is laying out flat, no bounce though.:confused:

Strange Rosie rituals;P

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They just seem like rocks....till you keep a very dim filtered light on at night and let your eyes adjust and watch them....then you see them do all kinds of stuff. I like when they "feel" stuff with their legs to determine size and shape...at least thats what I think she's doing.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Mine just did the same thing about 5 mins ago I dont have a picture because I dont have a camera right now but will prob get one soon so I can start taking pics for u guys. My Rose Haired was stretched out over top of where she had built a flat web in the substrate but her legs were out front and out back looked kind of like when an aboreal stretches out but I tossed a cricket about 2 inches in front of her and BAM! she nabbed it and now she is back up. She just molted about 3 weeks ago so I dont think she is going to again but I could be wrong... anyways just thought I would tell u mine did it too.

Peace

TheDon

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Completely of topic, but how do some ts get that nice round bum? My Ts have always failed to reach that nice circular plumpness...

N.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
Completely of topic, but how do some ts get that nice round bum? My Ts have always failed to reach that nice circular plumpness...

N.
It's easy. Just like people, if you feed them enough, they will get that fat. And just like people, it is not that good for the tarantulas.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She was thin when I first got her so I wanted to get some weight on her. I've spaced out her feedings farther apart(at least 10 days) now and give her about 4 crickets instead of all she'll take every 4 or 5 days.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Why is it not good for Ts to be "fat?" They don't have "fat" per se, or arteries to clog up, so it would seem to me that it wouldn't harm them. In fact, it seems that big butts are a desireable trait in Ts, much like they are in L.A. (=D )

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From most of the reading I've been doing, Power feeding has been shown to decrease lifespan or speed up metabolism. Its only recommended to induce a male to mature faster or prime a female for breeding and to produce an egg sac. A large rump also increases the chance of an abdomen rupture from a fall or increase the chance of life threatening complications during a moult.

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
From most of the reading I've been doing, Power feeding has been shown to decrease lifespan or speed up metabolism. Its only recommended to induce a male to mature faster or prime a female for breeding and to produce an egg sac. A large rump also increases the chance of an abdomen rupture from a fall or increase the chance of life threatening complications during a moult.
Ok this brings me to ask this: my t. blondi...well how I do I put this. Baby has BACK ;) Ive had her for 3 weeks now. She hasnt eaten in my care. I tried to feed her a week ago Saturday; she was eating 2 pinky mice or 1 fuzzy. Im beginning to think shes in a premolt stage. Her abdomen is getting darker. Ok now Im wandering off my train of thought....Shes got a huge butt. Should I put her on a diet???

Jen