Rosie on her back 6 weeks prior to molting

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I believe her carapace has opened, because I'm no longer able to see beneath her, which it used to be visible to see beneath her. So I'm assuming the process has started, but it's hard to visually see to confirm, and I don't want to disturb her.
At this point you can raise the humidity in the enclosure by wetting the substrate around her.. Not much else you can do.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@colker
You're in a bit of a predicament. The most experienced hobbyists on this forum have never even heard of what you're describing, so at this point, any outcome is possible. I wouldn't ever suggest surgical removal of the exuvia for the simple fact that I've never heard of it being successful... but then again, as I said, I would have put that spider in the freezer literally weeks ago. Moral of the story? Do what you want, because your guess is as good as anyone's on here.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
She's been in this position since Friday evening. So we're 72 hours+
This plus the fact that she has been on her back 6 weeks prior leads me to believe this isn't a molt.. If it is it's a bad one and I don't forsee the Tarantula making it through it..

Once the carapace pops the fluid in between the exo starts to dry up.. They only have a relatively short period of time to exit before they harden and are completly stuck..

Now if this was me in your shoes I would use a pair of straws and gently slide them underneath the T at just in front of the spinnerrettes and behind the first pair of legs and very gently lift/ tilt the spider to one side to see if the carapace has seperated.. Of course I'm not suggesting you do this as it could damage the T or possibly kill her..

Before I am ridiculed by everyone I feel that this T is a gonner anyway.. (Wether this is a molt or not it's not normal and I don't see it ending good for the T) and if it were mine and I felt its possibly suffering I would want to know so that I can humanely euthanize it..

I wish you the best of luck and if you end up taking a peek let me know what you find.. Good luck..

colker

Arachnopeon
Now what if it has poped, then what? What would you do if it was your T? Besides the obvious choice of a humane euthanization?

I know I'll have to face that decision very soon. I thought she would have pulled herself out over the weekend since this was the first sign of her actually trying

14pokies

Arachnoprince
@colker
You're in a bit of a predicament. The most experienced hobbyists on this forum have never even heard of what you're describing
See this is the part that is bugging me.. Threads like this seem to be popping up alot more lately.. Same symptoms.. The T flips a few times over the course of a few days/weeks rights itself then flips one last time and acts like its trying to molt until it dies.. Sometimes it's just a few days some times it's a few weeks..

Remeber the G.rosea DKS thread recently? Same thing.. That spider is barely clinging to life ATM.. I don't believe it's a bad molt as much as I don't believe it's DKS...

I don't know what it is but I think there is something more too it than bad molts..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Now what if it has poped, then what? What would you do if it was your T? Besides the obvious choice of a humane euthanization?

I know I'll have to face that decision very soon. I thought she would have pulled herself out over the weekend since this was the first sign of her actually trying
I would burn that bridge when I was done crossing it...