Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Rosie hasn’t been eating

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Montanagoddard, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    My Rose hair has been refusing food for about three weeks now but when I put a cricket in she attacks it but won’t bite and doesn’t capture it, she’s very active and from her attacking it she seems hungry but just doesn’t bite and lets it go???

Attached Files:

2. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

I promise she’s not hungry. Spiders disinterested in food will often attack a prey item with their palps/legs out of basically annoyance. Sometimes they do bite it so it dies but do not consume it. Rose hairs can go years without food. Yes, you read that right. Honestly I wouldn’t try feeding again until about another month. It might be premoult, it might be a long fasting period. Long story short; don’t worry about her ‘missing meals’.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. MainMann

MainMann Arachnosquire

You have NOTHING to worry about :p trust me when i say this. Species from the genus Brachypelma and Grammostola can go on stupidly long times without food. I've heard stories of them fasting for more than a year, and judging by the size of your T, it is very much capable of fasting for that long. I'd just make sure the T has access to fresh water and I'd try to feed it next month.

Sincerely, Maman

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks a lot for the reply, I thought her attacking it might have meant she was hungry lol!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the reply and advice! Very much appreciated :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rigor Mortis

Rigor Mortis Arachnoknight Active Member

Yup, like @EtienneN and @MainMann said she's good. I got my rosea in January and she hasn't eaten for me and who knows the last time she ate before I got her. But she's fine.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.