Rosehairs are always strange...

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This morning when i woke up i noticed my rose hair kind of tore her house up, she never had a burrow, she has a hide that she doesn't use, This is what she did, she took all the peat moss from behind the flower pot and kind of just moved it out, then dug like a half in hole on teh oter side of the tank, and then jsut started moving substrate from one spot to another... not trying to make a burrow, just, i don't know. rearranging? It's weird, anyone know what's up?
Mike

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not sure exactly what it is, but it seems that they may get tired of the old homestead and decide to rearrange the place. One of my rosies recently completely filled up its old borrow and made a new one on the other end of the critter keeper. They can be real earth movers when they want to be.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hehe, my G. pulchra and the B. albopilosum did this last night. They did a major re-arrangement of their substrate. The G. pulchra simply burrowed a hole under her hide over the last week, but last night she made the hole bigger and created a huge pile which she is working on burrowing into the pile as we speak.

Bry

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Under construction

My A. chalcodes juvie did that a month ago. I have him/her in the small Kritter Keeper. It shoved all the substrate to one side and even covered the water dish, so it had a ramp with a thin layer of substrate at the base of it on the shallow end - and covered the base with silk with lines running up every wall. This told me that it definitely felt like it was in one big burrow - not good! I changed/cleaned the cage today and used a TP roll to mold a burrow by packing the substrate firmly around the TP roll to create stable walls. This little guy (2-1/2") is so unbelievably docile.

Peace.