rosea burrowing

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got a G. rosea about 2 weeks ago and I have it on 100% peat moss that is about 5 or 6 inches deep. The rosea it self is probably only 2-2.5 inches big. I have a hide and water dish in the tank and no heater on it but the room stays about 75 degrees or so because of my other animals. The question I'm asking is recently she has made a burrow in the corner of the tank that goes all the way to the bottom then heads toward the middle of the tank, is this normal? I really don't hear of roseas burrowing too much so I was just wondering. Thanks.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's pretty normal considering roseas are the oddballs in the T world. Also one explanation is that G.rosea can possibly be a burrowing species in its native habitat, only someone that visited Chile and studied them there would know this though. PLus, juvies and slings tend to burrow more then adults. Just leave it be and congrats on the new addition.

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks, this is my first T but not my first arachnid. I love watching him/her when shes not in the hide. I just wanted to make sure this was normal behavior for a rosea so young.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
rosea ARE burrowers in nature. fairly deep burrowers, too.

also, many species that aren't really burrowers in their adult years will dig a hidey-hole when they are slings

i have H. maculata and P. irimina and have had P. regalis slings all dig burrow-like things

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks, this is my first T but not my first arachnid. I love watching him/her when shes not in the hide. I just wanted to make sure this was normal behavior for a rosea so young.
No problem, what kind of other arachnids you got?

rosea ARE burrowers in nature. fairly deep burrowers, too.

Thanks for clarifying that for me caco, how is it that you know it though?

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My little B. smithi did the same thing and it is only about 2". As soon as I put it in it's little cube it started digging. It burrowed almost 4" in a day. At least it did it on the side of the cube so I can see. It is now working on a nice little lounging area at the bottom.... :rolleyes:

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea, a buddy of mine used to have one and I liked it a lot so I decided when I got one I'd get the one he had, so thats how I came to my decision lol.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yea, a buddy of mine used to have one and I liked it a lot so I decided when I got one I'd get the one he had, so thats how I came to my decision lol.
Ha good choice. If you end up getting a second T, I'd get a Brachypelma spp. because of they're gorgeous colors!

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like the B. Smithi's I may get one of them, although I really like the Pokies too...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
since were talkin about my T why don't I include a pic

Gorgeous, I can never get enough of G.rosea. Is that her burrow right next to her?

Pokies are nice to, whichever you want. Some people say pokies should not be one of the first Ts to aquire, but I disagree, I think any T can be aquired at any point in time as long as they are researched before hand. Good luck on choosing your next T, and welcome to the T addiction!{D

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 3 adult G. roseas and all three have burrows....my largest at 6'' has a burrow that she uses all the time and I hardly see her.

chaoshybrid6 if you want a B. smithi I have a adult female I would part with...let me know if you want her.

steph

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I find that rosies either make deep burrows or none at all. My rosie is just content with her half log hide