Rose haired tarantula

grxfitti

Arachnopeon
i've been told a rose haired tarantula is easier than the pink toed T. i've been doing lots of research for the rose hair but i feel like getting the basic pointers from people with experience helps out a lot. anything that could help me out would be very very appreciated.

ChrisTy

Arachnoaddict
What are you looking for in your T? It really depends on what you are wanting. There are many more species out there to choose from as well. Avicularia genus (pink toe) is less forgiving of husbandry mistakes, but with the proper research and care you can have success. The major thing is to research as much as you can before buying anything. Decide what it is that you like and find the species that fits those needs the best.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You'll be disappointed if you end up with a G. rosea as your first tarantula. They're just a bit boring. Avicularia ("pink toe") are fine as a beginner, just get them larger than 2" because they're quite fragile as slings.

Here are a bunch of beginner species to look at. Any tickle your fancy?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
classic bullet proof spider with mood swings and a tendency to fast for months on end, easy to keep but can be frustrating to beginners. id recommend a different spider.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Go for Brachy, easy care, forgiving nature most of the time and arent the slowest growers.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd personally not recommend either as a starter for the reasons stated by other members.watch the video that @EulersK as posted there's lots of great species.

If you want at Grammostola there's better out there think pulchra,pulchripes,iheringi,actaeon,anthracina or any other grammy apart from rosea/porteri.
Apparently there's a rumour started just this minute that G rosea/porteri are the devils spider and that anybody that owns 1 often gets sold a rock to put in their enclosure and I think that's disgusting behavior on the part of the rock breeders

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You got G. anthracina @johnny quango ?
Yes mate I've got a suspected female 2.5-3" juvenile. I saw video footage of 1 and fell in love with the red setae on black but I wasn't prepared for the beautiful purple blue hue they have. They run pulchra close as my favourite Grammostola

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
rosies are great :) I'm in the minority, but I prefer them to my two pink toes. There's something about them I Find really cute. Mine eat regularly, which isn't usually the case. They also walk around and the big one webs like crazy (also odd I think?)

Brad1993

Arachnopeon
My g.rosea is very active always remodelling was my first t but there feeding habits ain't great for a beginner and on personal experience mines temperamental most of the time an angel but every now and then the devils spawn ild go for brachy but all down to personal choice give @EulersK video a watch I'm sure one call out to ya :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yes mate I've got a suspected female 2.5-3" juvenile. I saw video footage of 1 and fell in love with the red setae on black but I wasn't prepared for the beautiful purple blue hue they have. They run pulchra close as my favourite Grammostola
Did you get it very recently from TSS?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ive had her since early 2015 I'm always tempted to add a few more though. I'm after Grammostola alticeps if you know of anywhere that as them
I am the same. I have suspect male 2.5 - 3". I cant find alticeps. I ordered 2 anthracina juveniles from TSS received suspect male and the other was removed and refunded. I was more than a little annoyed. I bet it was suspect female :shifty:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am the same. I have suspect male 2.5 - 3". I cant find alticeps. I ordered 2 anthracina juveniles from TSS received suspect male and the other was removed and refunded. I was more than a little annoyed. I bet it was suspect female :shifty:
I bet you were really lets say angry for a family friendly forum because I know I would be.
They must have loved me at tss a few months back I actually asked for a juvenile male pamp sp mascara for my female.
The rarer Grammostola are like Thrixopelma they should be everywhere and I regret not buying the Alticeps when I had the chance at the same time as the anthracina

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
I agree with @KezyGLA Brachypelma is definitely a good genus to start with they are hardy, slow growing and the majority have brilliant colours like the b. boehmei, B. albiceps and my personal favourite the B. Smithi. They are also quite docile for the majority but it depends on what you are personally looking for in a T.

Last edited:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My first T was a rosehair (G. porteri), and I loved her dearly when I got her 8 years ago, and love her dearly now. Back then, I didn't care if she was super active, or if she ate every week, or spun webs - I thought she was beautiful, and even though she's always been a pet rock, I had nothing to compare her to, so I didn't know otherwise. I didn't go on forums and there weren't a million different options with care information readily available. She ate when she felt like it, webbed up the bottom of her enclosure, and scared all my friends, and that was enough. I handled her every once in a while (not often because I always had other animals or roommates that were likely to barge into the room and potentially spook her, and also because her fangs have always been huge) and never had any issues.

I've heard stores of psycho rosies, and I know they exist - but in 8 years, even in the early days of poking and prodding and having no idea how to care for her, I've never gotten a threat pose. She's eaten when she's felt like it and has been hardy and has always just done her thing - whether it's not moving for days at a time or trying to push the top off of her cage. If I could go back and pick a different first T, I wouldn't.

It really just comes down to what you're looking for. If you were picking out, say, a puppy, and wanted something to protect you, I would advise against a chihuahua. Same with Ts - if you want active, good eater, bright colors, don't pick a rosie. But if you want a cool piece of decor that you can't kill and only have to feed every so often, then maybe you should.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
In general the Brachypelma, Aphonopelma and Grammastola genus are pretty easy to care for, but so is the Avicularia genus. It's all relative to what kind of a beginner T you want. Do you want an arboreal or a terrestrial?

I tend to lean more toward terrestrial as my suggestion to newbies, specifically the Grammastola genus, because in general, they're less skittish and less prone to hair kicking than the Brachypelma and Aphonopelma genus. However, if you want an arboreal, the Avic. avic. is a great T to start with!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I tend to lean more toward terrestrial as my suggestion to newbies, specifically the Grammastola genus, because in general, they're less skittish and less prone to hair kicking than the Brachypelma!
I agree with this and am always confused when people recommend Brachypelma to new keepers. My B. boehmei is a complete jerk, kicks in her sleep and has given me a threat post more than a few times during tank cleaning - and during rehousing, forget it. I know every T is different but I don't think I'd have ever gotten more if she was my first.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
I agree with this and am always confused when people recommend Brachypelma to new keepers. My B. boehmei is a complete jerk, kicks in her sleep and has given me a threat post more than a few times during tank cleaning - and during rehousing, forget it. I know every T is different but I don't think I'd have ever gotten more if she was my first.
I think B. Boehmei is one of the more defensive in the brachypelma genus along with the B. Vegans from what I have read, thats one of the reasons I went for a B. Smithi. But like you say it's all down to the individual T out of the two I would pick the rose hair as a first T. Although if grammostola is the best I might pick a G. Pulchripes I've heard they're good for beginners and have quite nice markings

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I think B. Boehmei is one of the more defensive in the brachypelma genus along with the B. Vegans from what I have read, thats one of the reasons I went for a B. Smithi. But like you say it's all down to the individual T out of the two I would pick the rose hair as a first T. Although if grammostola is the best I might pick a G. Pulchripes I've heard they're good for beginners and have quite nice markings
See, this is such an excellent example of T personalities varying from individual to individual. My G. pulchripes has been nothing but a headache since day one. :yuck: