Rose hair tarantula

niatohosa

Arachnopeon
My son has a rose hair tarantula for almost a whole year now. She is NEVER taken out of her tank but we keep water and food for her at all times. I read about tarantula's molting but have yet to see her do it. Is that because she is already grown and doesn't need to or maybe I don't have the proper environment for her to molt? She stopped eating her crickets so I took the other two out and left her for almost two weeks without food but she never did any molting. I fed her again and she ate two crickets right away. Any suggestions??

baconmushroom

Arachnopeon
that depends on how big that T is, more or less it'll only molt once a year if its a mature T...pics would be of great help if you have one..thanks!:D

web eviction

Arachnolord
Lol sounds like a G. Rosea, they r known to go without molting for up to 3 years I mine molts about once every year and a half and has gone without eating for up to 8 months lol she will molt when she's ready just offer food every couple weeks and if she don't eat it in 24 hours time take it out... enjoy her I love mine.

niatohosa

Arachnopeon
ty

I'm feeling much better now, I've been reading such scary posts by so many people on here and am terrified that something horrible is gonna happen to her. I can't stand to handle her cause she gives me the willies but I love to watch her. I'm still trying to deal with handling the crickets! LOL Actually its quite humorous if you think about it! I'll do my best of posting a pic of her. I assume shes a rose hair T because thats what they told me at the pet store AND I assume she is a she cause they told me she was a she =). I can't figure out how to post a picture of her ... I'm still trying figure out this board!

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/files/5/7/0/1/6/spider_thumb.jpg

I guess this is how you do it ... everyone please be understanding and patient I've NEVER posted on any board-like thread so I'm kinda stumbling around ... Lots of rules to read .... ugh! ok so the pic is small but I can't figure this darn thing out... frustrated... I'll be back later to try and do it.

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That would be a G . rosea. As far as sex goes, pet stores will tell you female every time without knowing what they are talking about.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That would be a G . rosea. As far as sex goes, pet stores will tell you female every time without knowing what they are talking about.
haha +1 on that! often they are just trying to work their way through colage and this is the only job they coud find...i wonder what it would be like to have someone who actaully knows what they doing working in a petstore....hmm is my lps hiring??? lol i wish...

niatohosa

Arachnopeon
TY for the information, she is a pleasure to observe just SO can not handle her! I was reading that maybe she should have a heating pad? She doesn't have one and it can get pretty cold here ...

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
TY for the information, she is a pleasure to observe just SO can not handle her! I was reading that maybe she should have a heating pad? She doesn't have one and it can get pretty cold here ...
If you're comfortable with the temperature, the tarantula will be comfortable, too. I know Curiousme keeps their T's at about 64 degrees Fahrenheit and they're thriving... so unless it's colder than that, it'll be just fine. ;)

EDIT: Also, if used improperly, there have been reports of people accidentally cooking their T's alive. Not worth the risk, IMO.