Rose hair shows no interest in any food, suggestions?

Tripp01

Arachnopeon
Got a Rose hair 2 months ago, still shows no interest in food. She actually seems to avoid everything that comes into the cage. Temp is 68-78, female, young, active. Moves around a lot and actually doesn't go into her little hideout but I think thats because of temperature.. Her tank if shaped sorta like a wide "U" with flat spots on top of both sides and the hide is at the bottom built into the side. I know they are stubborn and can go without food for a long time but.. Any suggestions?

kmhvmh

Arachnopeon
Roises can go a long time without food. but I'm guessing premolt

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
My suggestion: Don't worry:) It's likely to just be the typical rosie behavior. They go on food strikes for ages!

Also, don't think about the hide too much, either. You give the spider a place to hide in case she wants it. At the moment, she just doesn't want it. And enjoy it while it lasts. A spider that doesn't hide is much more interesting than one that hides too much;)

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have two rosies that are pretty fantastic eaters. This is not usually the case, as they can go ages without food. If the abdomen looks plump she's good.

cold blood

Staff member
Got a Rose hair 2 months ago, still shows no interest in food. She actually seems to avoid everything that comes into the cage. Temp is 68-78, female, young, active. Moves around a lot and actually doesn't go into her little hideout but I think thats because of temperature.. Her tank if shaped sorta like a wide "U" with flat spots on top of both sides and the hide is at the bottom built into the side. I know they are stubborn and can go without food for a long time but.. Any suggestions?
"Rose hair shows no interest in any food, suggestions?"

Yeah, get a different species.

Fasting is what they do best. They have among, if not the lowest food requirements you will find in a t. They can, as adults, go 4-6 years between molting and therefore aren't in a hurry to do much of anything. When they are fasting, they will ignore or sometimes actively avoid prey...don't even bother offering...I just wait till I see a hunting posture...which could be many months away. So my advice on the subject of feeding, is to just stop feeding and wait.

Temps aren't a concern, if you are heating her in any way, stop. They can handle temps in the 60's without issue and night temps in the 50's.....likewise, they can handle extreme temps near 100...temperature is literally the last thing you need to worry about...much mike humidity...they also have no moisture requirements aside from a water dish.

Temps have nothing to do with not using a hide...fact is that in captivity, they rarely, if ever, use hides. Its literally been 12 years since I have seen mine in a hide...and the last time it was in there it was for like 10 minutes.

I have two rosies that are pretty fantastic eaters. This is not usually the case, as they can go ages without food. If the abdomen looks plump she's good.
1. There are exceptions to every rule.

2. It won't last forever...enjoy it...lol.

Its true that when a rosie is "on", they are actually fantastic eaters...problem is finding that "on" switch":)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
go for one of the tropical giants like Lasiodora, Nhandu, Acanthoscurria. beautiful, a little feisty, and fantastic eaters.

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
Rosehairs can go pretty long without eating. Just offer something every other week or so. I got lucky with my rosehair as it eats once or twice a week.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
While indeed is a true fact that G.rosea love to fasting I keep a sling that is a pig :angelic:

Check how much chubby is, he/she's impressive when it comes to eat:

176915-39667672328560b937a8f5fcc192810d.jpg

Btw as others said, don't worry too much Tripp01 :-s

Last edited:

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
I pretty much echo what everyone else says. My suggestion is to get used to it.