rose hair questions.

gerosull

Arachnopeon
hi all, just wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me.
i bought a rose hair about 2 months ago,originally i had ''her'' on repti bark which was recommended by the pet store and is what they keep thier tarantulas on.i was looking for orchid bark and the guy told me it was the same,after some research,to my dismay i discovered repti bark can be toxic to tarantulas so i promptly changed to coir. having said that my rosie didnt seem to mind the bark and could often be found hauling the stuff all over ''her'' tank. anyway, since i've had my t ''she'' has'nt eaten anything but i have seen her drink so i'm not too worried.my question is ''she'' seems to just lay on her belly for the last couple of weeks and i was wondering if ''she'' might be in premoult ? last Q :). the other day i found her in an almost death curl (most legs curled under but not all) as i lifted the lid she moved herself about but seemed a bit weak and awkward, again could this be premoult behaviour ? also have a costa rican tiger rump sling,1-1/4'' eats like a pig
and no problems at all. btw..the rosie is about 3-3-1/2''. any help greatly appreciated.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
It is possible that she is in pre-molt of course, but it's quite likely that she's not as well. Rosies are notoriously "not normal" so it's hard to say what her behavior indicates. As long as she is drinking and stays hydrated I wouldn't worry about her too much.

If her rump has turned dark - and she's not eating - and she's stumbling around like she's a little drunk - then she probably is in pre-molt, but even then you'll have to be patient. Sometimes they take a while.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rosies are well known to going from overeating to anorexic - so I wouldn't worry about that.
If she is ill, you can't do much for her, just make sure she has a full waterdish she can get to easily..
Most likely she is just being a spider. They don't run around much, they usually just lie around, being cool. So just make sure she has water, and let her be. They usually are far better off without us fuzzing over them :)

gerosull

Arachnopeon

thanks guys, just wanted to make sure i was'nt doing anything wrong, this is a great site..think i'll recommend to the guy in the pet shop,as he seems to know less than i do lol. thanks again.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just wanna ad that theraphosids cant burrow or dig tunnels in reptile bark or woodchips ect. The best thing you can buy is natural peat from garden shops and a big long lasting sack dont cost much.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I agree with what has already been said. Rosies are strange little spiders. This is what makes them exiciting! I've got two, and they're entirely different from anything I've ever had before. It's possible, also that your rosie was cleaning herself when she was curled up. I've noticed mine with curled legs before and they were just cleaning. :D