Rose hair popularity.

If you were offered a free porteri/rosea, would you take it?

• Total voters

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I'm curious to see what your opinions are on these pet rocks. I personally love them, both porteri and rosea (although I've never had a true rosea). I really don't get why they're so stigmatized. They're great little Ts, and the rosea are really colourful. My only bad experience with them would be my very old (guessing 20s) porteri who passed away, most likely due to parasites. Other than that, my other three are some of my favourite Ts! I personally like them more than my Xenethis immanis (although that isn't saying much)!

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Honestly, as "common" as they are, they have never intrigued me enough to learn about them. If I was offered a free one however, after doing my homework, I might go for it.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I have/owned owned a total of 20 very underrated T. Yes they can be pet rocks but are very beautiful as well.
G. porteri MM
2015-08-30 14.32.29.jpg

G. rosea juvenile female fresh out of a molt
2016-08-18 10.24.31.jpg

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
My first T was a rosehair that I got in March. I've got 6 more and it's one of my favorites. It eats pretty well and it moves around a lot.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
I voted yes, because A free T is a free T and I currently do not have one. However I would never buy one. I just find them to be rather boring and I prefer arboreal species.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I selected yes as in who doesn't want a free T?

I bought one for my girlfriend and it's pretty interesting species for a "pet rock".

Hers was actually pretty boring as first but she's definitely livened up and become a pretty good builder.

Leila

Arachnobaron
My MM G. porteri is my darling little man.
I absolutely adore him! He will be missed whenever his time is up...I hate even thinking about that...

He is always bulldozing the substrate in his enclosure. He basks in the one slightly sunny corner of his enclosure. (proximity to a window lends a small ray of light.)

I would not only take a freebie; I will also purchase more of them in the future. Pet rock? Man, we also love our pet holes, right?? What does it matter if they chill in the same spot for a while? We love our Ts because they have individual traits.Yeah? :cat::cat:

We love them because they are intriguing animals no matter their preferences: burrowers, webbers, arboreal, terrestrial, voracious eaters, fasters, skittish, chill, whatever. They are all fascinating. :)

I do not understand how someone could not love a porteri/rosea. They really are very beautiful darlings, IMO. :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine (AF sold to me as G. rosea but probably G. porteri) is a total pet rock - and that is one of her best qualities! She is one of my favorites - and if I absolutely had to thin out my collection, she would be one of the last to go.

I use my spiders in classroom demonstrations, so I really need to have a variety of different kinds of spiders. Of course the kids love beasts that just annihilate prey (talking to you, A. geniculata!) and they are always impressed with the sheer size of T. stirmi, the bright colors of the GBB, and the gorgeous markings of P. vittata - but they also love seeing me pick one up and hold it. For handling, my G. rosea/porteri/whatever is an absolute angel - she never kicks hairs, throws a threat pose, or even acts skittery. (Yes - shock! - horror! - I do handle a few of my tarantulas 2-3 times a year for classroom demonstrations. Break out the torches and pitchforks. Summon the angry mob. :troll:) I think it goes a long ways toward helping some of the kids get over their fear of spiders, as long as it's done responsibly, with careful explanations to the kids about what I'm doing to protect the well being of the spider and why they should not just go out and grab any spider they see.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nope, not even as a freebie, I had zero interest in owning them when I started out and even less after doing some research on them.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes of course. Only evildoers can dislike a 'Grammo', if for free, better. They are IMO by far better than genus Brachypelma, especially with the chances to end with a 'psycho' rose hair... lovely on my book.

I have a sling, I don't even know why, and he/she's lovely... great eater and moody :)

#stopthehateongrammos

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Sure, if I wanted the worst tarantula there ever was.
I mean, really. It's the slowest-growing tarantula, it's the most boring, dry gray color, it moves once a week, and it has a terrible attitude, but not in the exciting ways of defensive old worlds, but in a sinister, sour way. I'll probably never get one.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
its easy, cheap, and the colors are better than boring old brown. adults are widely available for low prices. i will never not recommend them.
Sure, if I wanted the worst tarantula there ever was.
I mean, really. It's the slowest-growing tarantula, it's the most boring, dry gray color, it moves once a week, and it has a terrible attitude, but not in the exciting ways of defensive old worlds, but in a sinister, sour way. I'll probably never get one.
you talk about them as you own one. smh.. go off your own experiences, i find mine often differ from what well known members have experienced.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
its easy, cheap, and the colors are better than boring old brown. adults are widely available for low prices. i will never not recommend them.

you talk about them as you own one. smh.. go off your own experiences, i find mine often differ from what well known members have experienced.
They all have their own personalities. More so than other species IME.