Rose hair popularity.

If you were offered a free porteri/rosea, would you take it?

• Total voters

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Why the hate on classics, if I can ask? Disrespecting a poor Grammostola rosea is like, if you are American, reaching Fort Ticonderoga and piss on the walls u_u

I know best because in one of my previous life I was a Quebec English hater, strong like 10 Mans and married with a Lady that gave me five brats, that killed and helluva of soldiers with my Huron Indian friends :)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I'd probably take one for free, but if I were going to buy one, there are several other species I'd prefer. So I went with "Maybe, if I had the space. But I'd really be a little biased towards the "Yes" answer, I think, because I probably wouldn't be able to pass on any free tarantula. I had one for 13 years, BTW.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
Someone would have to offer me a juvie/adult for dirt cheap if I were to ever get a rosie. I think they're lovely looking critters, and I've never met one with a bad disposition, but they hold no interest for me as a species to keep.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Meh, I have a P. antinous to fulfil my big black T needs, it's basically an easier to get and faster growing G. pulchra on steroids lol.
Yeah, except that P antinous flicks its butt bald in no time while G.pulchra rarely flicks :smug:

Leila

Arachnobaron
Some of these comments just amaze me. :wacky:

Seriously. Some of you are so hell bent on buying pet holes (yay for a plastic or glass box of substrate! where did the T go...ahh, see ya in a month maybe..?)...but ya hate on a T that generally stays out in plain view and just does not move much?

I mean, I like both of 'em: burrowers amd lazy-butt porteri/roseas. :happy::cold:

Again, just giving you all a lil hell. All in good humor. ;)

hypocrite

Arachnopeon
my rose hair that i got last june (she died, bless her lil T soul) as my first tarantula is what started this whole hobby for me.

i have three in my collection currently, they're amazing.

boina

Lady of the mites
Well, I agree with @Leila - rather a pet rock than a pet hole, but preferably neither. That said, I do own a G. rosea (rcf, or whatever that is) and I even bought it, and a G. sp. maule, and I like them, but I like others better.

Oh, and @The Grym Reaper , one can never have too many big black Ts. Black Ts are a passion of mine.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Well, I agree with @Leila - rather a pet rock than a pet hole, but preferably neither. That said, I do own a G. rosea (rcf, or whatever that is) and I even bought it, and a G. sp. maule, and I like them, but I like others better.

Oh, and @The Grym Reaper , one can never have too many big black Ts. Black Ts are a passion of mine.
I'm a sucker for black and red ones personally

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yeah, except that P antinous flicks its butt bald in no time while G.pulchra rarely flicks :smug:
Which means that I'll probably end up with a P. antinous that never flicks, you know I get all the oddballs, right?

I'd probably end up with the flickiest, most evil G. pulchra in existence if I got one :rofl::dead:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I voted yes to a freebie but only in the sense that I'd take it if it was neglected. If it was a freebie though placing an order I wouldn't want one and I certainly wouldn't buy one with money or magic beans. I have a few Grammostola so it's not me hating on Grammostolas I actually love the genus hell I have iheringi, actaeon, anthracina, pulchra and pulchripes they are all alot more interesting to me

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Basically Rose Hairs are the Bulbasaurs of the tarantula hobby
Bulbasaur is my favorite starter, much like my porteri ;)

I would take a free rosea/porteri in a heartbeat, unless it was a near-gone MM. Under any other circumstance, yes. I love my porteri's attitude (or lack of) - she's basically like a teddy bear. Even if I got a 'psycho rosie' I'd love to compare the two - I love getting to experience the different personalities of Ts that are the same species.

I think they're beautiful, hardy and great display Ts. Tell me this old girl isn't gorgeous :D

LeonExotic

Arachnopeon
This was my first ever T. Bought as an adult it didn't take long for me to love it. I don't see then as rocks though. Mine are always busy builders. It's fun to watch them digging new tunnels and filling old ones to rearrange things.

I noticed they do that as the environment shifts as well. I.e. if I move their enclosure, they shift their tunnels and around to keep hidden.

One of my slings went into hiding for a month and a half. Covered his entire cork bark in dirt and buried himself with it. In the middle of his last night in hiding he uncovered the whole thing, revealing 3 tunnels into and unseen labyrinth below his cork bark hill. I'll never get bored of these guys!

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Sure, if I wanted the worst tarantula there ever was.
I mean, really. It's the slowest-growing tarantula, it's the most boring, dry gray color, it moves once a week, and it has a terrible attitude, but not in the exciting ways of defensive old worlds, but in a sinister, sour way. I'll probably never get one.
To be fair, lots of porteri have some blue on them

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
My first two Ts were rosies. I had the pleasure of getting a perfectly docile pet rock with my first (that was probably 20+ when she died), and a perfectly psychotic pet rock with my second. The latter succumbed to an unfortunate poisoning incident along with several of my others Ts. I much preferred the docile over the psycho.