Rose Hair (Grammostola rosea)

schadbone

Arachnopeon
Strange thing, after reaching into the cage of my Rose Hair (Grammostola rosea) I started to get a very painful middle finger.

After 3 day of swelling and intense pain, I went to the doctor, we found what looks like a very small hair sticking in my finger.

I am on anti histamines and we will see what happens.
Surly it could not be from the T!!! :?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It is from the tarantula.
Google "urticating hair"

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You got haired, Schadbone! It was probably a loose hair that was hanging around her tank, as you probably would have noticed the 'strange' behavior of her flicking them (they quickly rub their rumps with a back leg).

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hiya Steve,
I'd say you definitely got haired, or came across loose hairs within her enclosure.
I've never been haired by a rosea, but they do have the ability to flick,
and this explanation would make the most sense.

So uh.... intense pain huh?
Wow... Hope it gets better / got better.

On another note, the new old world sp. you just invested in are feisty and fast,
but do not generally have these harpoon-like bristles. :D

schadbone

Arachnopeon
Ouch

It is now Sunday afternoon, and the finger is still not good, I am so surprised at how much damage one little hair can do. ( Allowing that it is indeed the T hair that caused this)

Do not try this at home :D

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Urticating hairs a microscopic so i think it is something else.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Aren't urticating hairs the ones they kick off their abdomen? If so, I must have super vision because I can see them.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Aren't urticating hairs the ones they kick off their abdomen? If so, I must have super vision because I can see them.
Its probably the clusters you see, too see them one by one is pretty hard.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually just get really itchy when I get haired. Dont think I ever had any pain.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think they're microscopic, but they are very fine bristles that aren't
the thickness of most hair or fur people know.

You can't see the barbs/textures associated with their properties unless you have a microscope,
but the actual bristle is visible.
Now to say you actually saw it and got it out, doesn't readily sound like it was
in fact a bristle from a tarantula, but I don't know.

Also, yes they are more visible when actively being kicked off.
If you're near and you see that cloud, then its too late. :D
Flush with ice cold water and grab the Hydrocortisone 2.5

schadbone

Arachnopeon
Ouch still

Just to be clear, The first thing I told the doc was that I most likely burst a blood vessel in my finger while trying to start the lawn mower.

But that was in the morning, and the pain started at 10pm, about ½ an hour after reaching into the cage.

So I then told the doc about T hairs etc, he then using a strong magnifying glass with light saw a black dot in my finger, which he dug out with a needle.

There are only 2 possibilities, as I have not done anything else to my finger.

I still do not know for sure.
Still not good...

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I doubt it is a urticating bristle since the doc could see it. also they are not black, they are brwn. G. rosea are not usually painful. I was handling my G. rosea immature male (i dont usually handle Ts for no reason) last night. I had it on my chest i was watching tv.. Wham!!! He kicked a huge pile of bristles all over my chest!! It was hilarious{D Didnt itch at all really. i had to think about it hard to feel the itch.

T<KEEPER JT

Arachnopeon
Hey I have a guestion I just registered on this website do you know how to post thing and could you tell me please.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the forum you're in, theres a blue button that says "post topic". Click that and away you go.
Its top leftish.