Rope Fish

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
alright.. so I have had my ropefish for about a year now.. very cool fish. last night it did something different.. it decided to escape the tank and go for a slither on the floor. I just found it now. dark orangish brow (instead of the usual tan color) and hard and dry. with some feathers stuck to it from the floor. now I had read that they are related to lungfish and have been known to revive after being hard dried and "dead" so I figured well it cant hurt.. I held it buy the crispy tail end and dunked it in the water..after a minute to my surprise and delight it started twitching from side to side.. after a while more its fins released from its sides and it started breathing again. so it is sort of half recovered now and looking very much alive.. I cant believe it.. I wish I had photographed it before I put it in the water..

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
that's crazy! any idea how long it was out of the water? I've seen lungfish on TV a few times...amazing creatures.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
possibly since last night.. long enough to look like a dead dried up snake. it was in an S shape and hard as rock when I picked it up. Im still in awe. I almost want to dry it out just to film its reincarnation lol. :D

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rope fish seem to always have an "escape problem." It would be beneficial for your rope fish if you sealed all of the open spaces and holes on your tank's lid. If you are using a waterfall filter, I would suggest switching it out for something that will allow your tank to be more secure. I have been an avid fish enthusiast for as long as I could walk and have spent literally hundreds of dollars on exotic fish that I had specially imported from overseas with the help of a dealer at home. The thing you must remember with a rope fish is that if there is a way for them to get out, it is only a matter of time until they escape. I have even seen them lift lids off of tanks to escape. I suggest that you turn your tank into a fishy Fort Knox so as he doesn't escape again, and if he does just keep your eyes out cuz they can live for surprisingly long periods of time without water. It's quite remarkable to tell you the truth.

And if he does escape--- and God forbid passes on--- they mumify quite quickly and stay completely preserved so you can keep him displayed on a shelf so you can remember him always. :D

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have kept ropefish many times over the years. I do agree with the last post - they are escape artists. No matter how well I sealed my tanks, they eventually found a way out.

They are wonderull fish. I sure do miss the 250 tanks I use to have in my basement. For the first time in over 40 years I am now fishless.:(

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well after a year of having my favorite fish and his one escape venture... and amazing ressurection the rope fish has passed away. it was a good $9.00 fish for sure. even if it ate lots of my other fish.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks :D I wasnt too sad... I know it tried to recover.. I mean it WAS crispy and came back to life.