Romalea guttata devil's horses

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Romalea guttata these are giant grasshoppers only native to the southeast.they get huge i have seen one as big as some of my larger emperor scorpions.i havent seen one i about 5 years do you think it would be safe to feed one to my emperor scorpions

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
if they're rare, you might want to collect a few and breed them first? - munis

Romalea guttata these are giant grasshoppers only native to the southeast.they get huge i have seen one as big as some of my larger emperor scorpions.i havent seen one i about 5 years do you think it would be safe to feed one to my emperor scorpions

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
very true how
diffrent is breeding grasshoppers than crickets

Last edited:

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I fed one of these to my P.Imperator about a month ago. Here's what remained:

...... and a part of a leg over the other side of the enclosure too.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
exactly,we have the lubbers down here(fla) nothing eats them because of that.

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, aren't those pictures contradicting what you guys are saying?

I dropped this in and it was stung (which I may add was the first time I've ever seen my P.Imperator use it's tail) and died shortly after and was then consumed.

I actually blame the amount of remains on her being fed quite a large locust 2 days before.

My female P.Imperator is still alive and kicking.

Infact, when I think back to it... the woman in the shop were I bought this from was handling it and explaining how they mate and she didn't mention anything about them being toxic or anything.... she KNEW it was being fed to my Scorpion.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, aren't those pictures contradicting what you guys are saying?
Doesn't look like a tremendous amount of feeding to me. Most animals will try to feed on toxic insects at least once and then "learn" not to feed on them again. The best example I can give you is the monarch butterfly, young birds will feed on the butterflies once. After this they will refuse to eat any monarch butterflies they encounter in the future.

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, aren't those pictures contradicting what you t... the woman in the shop were I bought this from was handling it and explaining how they mate and she didn't mention anything about them being toxic or anything.... she KNEW it was being fed to my Scorpion.
a shopkeeper lacking information on the animals she sells?

what a shocker.

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
by the way-what is that substrate you're using...? looks like an extinguished campfire that happens to be in an enclosure.