Rocks in the enclosure

Beastie

Arachnoknight
So my lovely little grape vine root decor I made for my GBB sling has started to grow a bit of mold in a couple of spots (mainly where it's touching the substrate). I keep the substrate mostly dry and overflow her water dish every once in awhile. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to remove it, which sucks. I am so tired of wood products other than cork bark which seems (so far) less likely to mold. I don't have any cork bark available for her enclosure right now and would like to use something already available if possible so I was considering using rocks from my yard. I had the thought however that maybe there was a reason people don't seem to do this often. Is there anything wrong with using rocks? Is there any possibility of them leaching something into the soil if they get damp?

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
little bit of mold is nothing to worry about. sub should be bone dry for GBB after 1.5" or so. rocks can potentially harm a spider if they fall on it.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What size rocks are we talking? Giant lava rocks or accent pebbles?

The falling is the problem with the larger rocks as mentioned by @Venom1080.

Though their natural environment probably has rocks and other dangerous objects, the point of captivity is to keep them alive for to enjoy their beauty. ;)

Edit:
Also, be super careful with outside "furniture" for tarantulas. You know, the whole pesticide/fertilizer/whatever spiel.

Last edited:

Beastie

Arachnoknight
little bit of mold is nothing to worry about. sub should be bone dry for GBB after 1.5" or so. rocks can potentially harm a spider if they fall on it.
I don't think she is that big yet, still just a little thing, maybe total leg span (all stretched out) of a quarter. Here is some of the mold I'm talking about, there's some at the base of the wood and a little in between the two pieces that I can see. I don't want anything to hurt this little one :( she's my baby.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't think she is that big yet, still just a little thing, maybe total leg span (all stretched out) of a quarter. Here is some of the mold I'm talking about, there's some at the base of the wood and a little in between the two pieces that I can see. I don't want anything to hurt this little one :( she's my baby.
id overflow the water dish once a week or so to provide a little extra humidity at that size, no more. maybe your ventilation isnt good enough? again, dont worry about it, i have triple that in half my tropical cages. if it gets out of control, rehouse it.

Estein

Arachnoknight
Aside from the danger rocks can pose to a falling tarantula, I'm also always wary of collecting things from outside for use in enclosures. I can never be completely sure that what I'm using hasn't come into contact with pesticides or fertilizers or what-have-you, and I don't want to run the risk that, even with cleaning, something harmful could make its way to my T. Like you said, my Ts are my babies!

Beastie

Arachnoknight
What size rocks are we talking? Giant lava rocks or accent pebbles?

The falling is the problem with the larger rocks as mentioned by @Venom1080.

Though their natural environment probably has rocks and other dangerous objects, the point of captivity is to keep them alive for to enjoy their beauty. ;)
These are what I was considering they would be in the same spot as the wood. definitely won't use them if they're potentially gonna hurt my baby though.
id overflow the water dish once a week or so to provide a little extra humidity at that size, no more. maybe your ventilation isnt good enough? again, dont worry about it, i have triple that in half my tropical cages. if it gets out of control, rehouse it.
That's what I've been doing, though I may add ventilation. The ventilation is all towards the top of the cup (how I got it with her in it) so I think I'll add some a little above the substrate. I have been trying to keep the wetness away from the wood as much as possible. I moved the water dish a bit further from that corner and will add ventilation and keep an eye on it.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Agh ignore the first part of my last post, it was something I had decided not to post since the rocks didn't stay glued together anyway lol. Is there a way to edit posts?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Agh ignore the first part of my last post, it was something I had decided not to post since the rocks didn't stay glued together anyway lol. Is there a way to edit posts?
yes, theres a edit button on your posts for a while after posting them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So my lovely little grape vine root decor I made for my GBB sling has started to grow a bit of mold in a couple of spots (mainly where it's touching the substrate). I keep the substrate mostly dry and overflow her water dish every once in awhile. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to remove it, which sucks. I am so tired of wood products other than cork bark which seems (so far) less likely to mold. I don't have any cork bark available for her enclosure right now and would like to use something already available if possible so I was considering using rocks from my yard. I had the thought however that maybe there was a reason people don't seem to do this often. Is there anything wrong with using rocks? Is there any possibility of them leaching something into the soil if they get damp?
Grape vine molds very easily. I never used it. Cork is one of the most mold resistant wood products out there. Dump that wood and get some cork.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Grape vine molds very easily. I never used it. Cork is one of the most mold resistant wood products out there. Dump that wood and get some cork.
I know, I know but cork is so dang expensive especially to buy it for such a tiny enclosure. I've been meaning to buy some in bulk to keep around for whenever I need it but haven't gotten around to it. If it's not an immediate concern to get it out of the enclosure I will try to get some bulk cork bark this week.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know, I know but
nothing, just do the right thing.

You can't knowingly put the "wrong" material in there, complain about it and expect legitimate sympathy etc hahahah :rolleyes::D

If you can't afford the proper materials, don't get the animal. It's like buying a Ferrari and complaining about the insurance.:rolleyes:o_O

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I know, I know but cork is so dang expensive especially to buy it for such a tiny enclosure. I've been meaning to buy some in bulk to keep around for whenever I need it but haven't gotten around to it. If it's not an immediate concern to get it out of the enclosure I will try to get some bulk cork bark this week.
you dont need cork, get creative. driftwood works well too, ive used it for years.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
I didn't "know" that wood would mold, the "I know, I know" was about the cork bark. I'm pretty sure there are A LOT more options than just cork bark and a lot of people have reasonable success from drift wood and similar "baked" wood. I had the grape wood on hand so I thought I would give it a shot.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
you dont need cork, get creative. driftwood works well too, ive used it for years.
How much less likely to mold is driftwood than grape wood? literally I used this because I had it on hand (we bought it for our kingsnake that we didn't have yet so I cut two tiny pieces off), I was going to go out and get something to replace it but up until now it was working great, and it's been in there over a month.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
How much less likely to mold is driftwood than grape wood? literally I used this because I had it on hand (we bought it for our kingsnake that we didn't have yet so I cut two tiny pieces off), I was going to go out and get something to replace it but up until now it was working great, and it's been in there over a month.
it molds a fair bit too in my humid cages. but again, unless the mold gets ridiculous, i dont care about it, it just doesnt do much.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
it molds a fair bit too in my humid cages. but again, unless the mold gets ridiculous, i dont care about it, it just doesnt do much.
If it isn't going to hurt her in this small amount I will get something else jic, but leave and and see if it even gets worse. I hate to destroy that beautiful web.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
A little bit of mold is no big deal as others have said...just spot clean it. I would just be a little worried about the enclosure for a GBB being moist enough for mold to grow in general. As slings, even GBBs DO need a bit more humidity but still not much. When mine was really small I just moistened a corner or a side of the sub once or twice a week and that was it.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I usually just have barren cages for heavy webbers or burrowers, lol. My GBB sling is very good at making the cage how she desires in very little time. I wish I could decorate their cages but everytime I bring up buying decorations to my mom she acts like I've just asked her to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge or something.. So I usually reserve my few plastic plants and cork for the ones who prefer premade hides