Roaming WC Avic.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
So I got this WC female Avic from a big box store and she has been doing great. She laid an egg sack and sat on it the first 2 months I had her. I had to pull it or she was going to starve herself.

Ever since then she just seems to wander everywhere around her enclosure. She eats great, is never in stress pose, mostly just spread out on the side of the glass exploreing a different part of her enclosure every day for about 2 months.

Is this behavior I should be concerned about? This is my first mature Avic and my first WC T. Like I said she is my most veracious eater, but this much activity out of a T is weird to me. Anyone notice similar behavior out of their WC A. Avicularia's M1?

I know screen mesh = bad and plan on replacing it as soon as possible.

Also I am ashamed that I supported a big box store for the sake of my own selfish desire to own a mature female Avic. By all means criticize and shame me for it.

I do it myself all the time, but am happy that I have her and try to give her the best life possible. I hope to one day breed her so that we can eliminate the need for WC specimens.

Last pick is my little pigglet just eating the head off a crick because I love it Lmao PXL_20210114_193413473~2.jpg PXL_20210215_072534667.jpg PXL_20210215_072541505.jpg PXL_20210220_071224219.jpg

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
If I am following the sequence of events correctly, it laid an egg sack, had it for two months, you pulled it, then for another two months it was constantly wandering its enclosure. Is that right? You have had it for a total of four months? What did you do with the egg sack?

If that is correct, then it is wandering because the egg sack was taken away which is normal, but kind of sad. The only species I have bred and got spiderlings from was an Avicularia avicularia and mine did the same thing after I pulled the egg sack for incubation. Although two months is quite a long time. I remember mine giving up trying to find the egg sack a lot sooner, but that was like 15 years ago so I might not remember my experience correctly. If you have the empty egg sack, then give it back and see what happens.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What happened with the sac was it viable? Or did you cull it? Was it a phantom sac?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I got one as an adult female and she would wonder around the tank often. She would web then tear it down and web some more, probably my most active arboreal species.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
If I am following the sequence of events correctly, it laid an egg sack, had it for two months, you pulled it, then for another two months it was constantly wandering its enclosure. Is that right? You have had it for a total of four months? What did you do with the egg sack?

If that is correct, then it is wandering because the egg sack was taken away which is normal, but kind of sad. The only species I have bred and got spiderlings from was an Avicularia avicularia and mine did the same thing after I pulled the egg sack for incubation. Although two months is quite a long time. I remember mine giving up trying to find the egg sack a lot sooner, but that was like 15 years ago so I might not remember my experience correctly. If you have the empty egg sack, then give it back and see what happens.
Yeah had it about 4 months. Sadly the sack was unviable. When I pulled it and opened it up it had about two dozen black, desiccated, little BB's in there. Perhaps had I pulled it earlier I could have taken a shot at raising slings.

If this is the case she has a very long memory for a spider.
I got one as an adult female and she would wonder around the tank often. She would web then tear it down and web some more, probably my most active arboreal species.
See this sounds like mine, but it doesn't web anything anymore. It completely webbed up the inside of its cork bark tube and goes in there sometimes, but never for more than a few hours.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Yeah had it about 4 months. Sadly the sack was unviable. When I pulled it and opened it up it had about two dozen black, desiccated, little BB's in there. Perhaps had I pulled it earlier I could have taken a shot at raising slings.

If this is the case she has a very long memory for a spider.

See this sounds like mine, but it doesn't web anything anymore. It completely webbed up the inside of its cork bark tube and goes in there sometimes, but never for more than a few hours.
It is probably wandering around just trying to find a spot to build a tube web then. Two months probably is too long for it to be stressed that it lost its egg sack. Since it is eating, then I wouldn't think there would be too much to worry about. Sometimes we think we know what a tarantula needs and think we have the perfect setup for it, but the tarantula disagrees.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
your set up looks good (other than the mesh) so I am guessing she is just settling in. If the sac was in her enclosure and didn't produce slings I don't think removing it would have changed anything

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Thanks for all the insight. Was kind of at the end of my experience and couldn't find a similar thread for my scenario.

Knew I could rely on the collective knowledge of AB. Doesn't sound like anything to be worried about. Guess she is just a little explorer. 🤷‍♂️

I honestly believe it's the fact that she is WC.

No matter how well I make her enclosure or try to simulate her homes conditions I will always fall short.

Sadly, maybe she will always wander the inside of her enclosure constantly wondering why she can't find the lush forests of South America...😭

Damn... you could write a short story about it. Where is her brood? Where is her home? My poor little pigglet just became a very sad spider due to my anthropomorphising. 😡

Last edited:

sk063

Arachnopeon
Have no Idea if mine was WC or CB, it roamed for a few days, but had no egg sac and no idea as to sex yet. Best of luck

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
New development.

There seems to be some kind of yellow mold growing on her underside now. Looks like a tiny cluster of yellow spores almost like pollen. No idea if it's just dried fecal matter or if it's actually growing out of her.

It almost looks like it is. Sorry my camera doesn't zoom in that well. This is the best I could do.

PXL_20210222_042442750~2.jpg PXL_20210222_042442750.jpg PXL_20210222_042442750.jpg PXL_20210222_042442750~2.jpg

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
New update: It was nothing and brushed off. Likely fecal matter lol

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Could be from laying eggs. I’ve seen spiders get the fluid from egg laying on themselves and it dries to a yellow crust.

ShureevilKnevil

Arachnopeon
So I got this WC female Avic from a big box store and she has been doing great. She laid an egg sack and sat on it the first 2 months I had her. I had to pull it or she was going to starve herself.

Ever since then she just seems to wander everywhere around her enclosure. She eats great, is never in stress pose, mostly just spread out on the side of the glass exploreing a different part of her enclosure every day for about 2 months.

Is this behavior I should be concerned about? This is my first mature Avic and my first WC T. Like I said she is my most veracious eater, but this much activity out of a T is weird to me. Anyone notice similar behavior out of their WC A. Avicularia's M1?

I know screen mesh = bad and plan on replacing it as soon as possible.

Also I am ashamed that I supported a big box store for the sake of my own selfish desire to own a mature female Avic. By all means criticize and shame me for it.

I do it myself all the time, but am happy that I have her and try to give her the best life possible. I hope to one day breed her so that we can eliminate the need for WC specimens.

Last pick is my little pigglet just eating the head off a crick because I love it Lmao View attachment 376417 View attachment 376418 View attachment 376419 View attachment 376420
While I won't pretend to know more than I do, in two yrs I've acquired 28, soon to be 34 Ts.
Of them all the Avicularia sp. Is my favorite so far. I have 4 right now and they all explore and wander.
I love watching them.
My A. Metallica femal Karma is very large and gentle.

When I first started I too bought one not knowing and later regretted it.

Oh and they poop all over the glass at night.

What did u name your baby?

Ps..there is NEVER a reason to criticize or shame people on a thread.
Then new people fear posting and asking.

Thats so interesting

Lyra

Arachnopeon
My A.Avic loves to come out in the evening and ponder about. No idea what sex it is. It eats well, sits inside its cork bark most of the day, then comes out at night to stretch it's legs.